Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Developing an entirely new cartridge seems like an aweful lot just to reduce the grip size on a full-size pistol. Glockers have been asking Glock inc. (for years) for a slim, full size, single stack 45acp pistol. Glock still doesn't get it, nor do they plan to deliver it.

If the 45GAP cartridge's only advantage, is to use a 9mm/.40 frame, then what good is it to have a smaller frame if your going offset it by using a big "High Point" style upper receiver? Why did Glock have to use the Glock 21 upper receiver? The Glock 36 didn't need a Glock 30 upper reciever..

So what if the 45GAP cartridge yields a marginally higher velocity? The 45acp doesn't need high velocity to be effective. The 45's beauty is in the ability to expand to 78 caliber and penetrate 16 inches. It only needs 850 fps to do this.

Since the Glock 36 sucks in the reliability department, Glock could have made the Glock 37 with a 111 degree grip angle and used single stack magazines, just like a 1911, which would have allowed the cartridges to feed from the magazine more reliably into a FULLY SUPPORTED chamber.

Glock magazines have a rackish angle about them. If Glock had gone with a more vertical magazine and grip angle, this would have eliminated the need for Glock to hog out the chamber for feeding reliability. Why do you think Glock is constantly fiddling with magazine followers and magazine springs? The real culprit is the angle of the magazine relative to the chamber. Instead, Glock uses unsupported chambers. With a Glock unsupported chamber, if you get a little bullet set-back, then you have a good chance of a kaboom and destruction of the gun. With a fully supported chamber, a little bullet setback is only noticed as a "hot round".

And for some more confusion...

Have you ever asked for a box of 357 Sig ammo at Walmart? Most of the time they look at you like your stupid and hand you a box of .357 magnum. Now it's only going to get worse when you ask for a box of 45 GAP and they look at you with a "doe in headlights" stare while you attempt to explain to them what the hell the 45 Glock Auto Pistol cartridge is.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Last Fall, during sight-in days at the range to which I belong, we had two incidents where would-be hunters showed up with .270 Win. and .300 Win. Mag. rifles and cartridges for the .270 and .300 Win. Short Magnums, just purchased from the Wal-Mart down the road.

I don't really blame the sportings goods clerk, who may have just moved over from linens. The shooters admitted asking for a box of ".270's" or ".300 Magnums", then never looked at the label or realized that there was a difference until they tried to chamber a round.

·
Registered
75 Posts
:D That was an intelligent, well-written post, QF! Who knows? Maybe we'll get to the bottom of Glock's, 'kaBoom!' problems - yet. Speaking of Walmart, I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've ask someone for a box of Blazer 45acp, only to hear; 'Sorry, Sir; but all we have is the 45 auto!' I used to get frustrated; but, now, I've fallen in with the spirit of the place. My typical reply is; 'Well, I guess those will fit in my gun; let me try a box; and we'll see what happens.' Nobody has refused to sell me the ammo - yet! :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts