Gun Hub Forums banner

Norway

540 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  stand watie 
#1 · (Edited)
Norway Gunman Fired For Ninety Minutes On Island
OSLO, Norway -- A gunman who opened fire on an island teeming with young people kept shooting for 1.5 hours before surrendering to a SWAT team, which arrived 40 minutes after they were called, police said Saturday.
At least 85 people were killed on the island, but police said four or five people were still missing. Divers have been searching the waters around the island.
Gunman's Background Puzzles Police in Norway
The 32-year-old suspected of gunning down scores of young people at a summer camp and setting off a bomb in downtown Oslo that killed at least seven is a mystery to investigators: a right-winger with anti-Muslim views but no known links to hardcore extremists.
Comprehensive story from the UK Daily Mail Online

#2 · (Edited)
Norway's Aftenposten Blames Conservative Bloggers
Norway's Aftenposten is blaming me, Bat Ye'or and Fjordman for Breivik's mass murders -- as if killing a lot of children aids the defense against the global jihad and Islamic supremacism, or has anything remotely to do with anything we have ever advocated.
Who added "Christian" and "Conservative" to Norway shooter's Facebook page yesterday? See link in next post

Anders Behring Breivik Facebook Profile A Fake? See link in next post

At least 92 killed in Utoya island massacre
Scroll down to the picture of the perp in a wetsuit. Is that a pimped up M14?

#4 ·
A Double Tragedy for Norway
It is chilling to read my own name in postings by this mass murderer. And it is deeply depressing to see this evil, twisted creature become the face of Islam criticism in Norway. Norwegian television journalists who in the first hours of the crisis were palpably uncomfortable about the prospect of having to talk about Islamic terrorism are now eagerly discussing the dangers of "Islamophobia" and "conservative ideology" and are drawing connections between the madness and fanaticism of Breivik and the platform of the Progress Party. Yesterday's events, then, represent a double tragedy for Norway. Not only has it lost almost one hundred people, including dozens of young people, in a senseless rampage of violence. But I fear that legitimate criticism of Islam, which remains a very real threat to freedom in Norway and the West, has been profoundly discredited, in the eyes of many Norwegians, by association with this murderous lunatic.
Can the Left Resist the Temptation to Exploit the Norway Attacks?
However, in one sense yesterday's attacks are the exception that proves the "BBC rule." If the gunman (who is also thought to be responsible for the bombing) had been of Middle Eastern appearance, and had shouted "Allahu Akbar" as he mowed down his victims, today many in the media would still be speculating about a possible motive, and the authorities would be urging us not to jump to conclusions, as was the case with Fort Hood shooter Nidal Hasan. But Norwegian police and media were reporting the "right-wing" connection within hours of the attacks, and by first thing this morning officials were describing the perpetrator, Anders Behring Breivik, as "a right-wing fundamentalist Christian."

#5 ·
My question is this. One and a half hours. On an island. He has to hunt people for that long and no one gets a chance to take a run at him? No knives in the kitchen? No shovels, pipes, archery equipment, heavy objects etc? I gotta believe someone had a chance to give this guy a blow to the head.

#7 ·
And of course, the good ol' AP just couldn't resist taking the oportunity to use a tragedy to perhaps advance another agenda...like maybe gun control?

I mean "Dum-Dum bullets" How lame can you get?
That link went 404. This story is from the Mail Online which I thought was British hysteria over hollow points. Gunman used 'exploding' Dum-dum bullets on deadly rampage
Norwegian gunman Anders Behring Breivik used Dum-Dum bullets - which explode inside the body and often kill their targets instantly - on his deadly rampage around the idyllic holiday island of Utoya.

The revelation by a surgeon comes as these incredible photographs emerge of children using mattresses to barricade themselves into their rooms.
I can see how a surgeon might leap to a dum-dum conclusion if the bullets were a frangible hollow point. The firearms terminology used in Europe might not mean the same thing to them that it means to us. Scroll down to the picture of the "Lethal Dum Dum bullet" and you'll see an ordinary looking hollowpoint. Of course AP and all those layers of fact checking should know this but they hoarked the story out anyway.

#8 ·
Thanks, Phantom. Sorry about the 404, but you qouted the story I read.

The press used to routinely refer to hollowpoints as "dum-dum" bullets. They either had no idea of the origin of that phrase , or, and this is the most likely explanation, they use the term souly to inflame any readers that are "on the fence" vis-a-vis gun control.

It's an old story, and I shouldn't let it eat at me, but it does. I can listen to and even appreciate an anti-gun argument based on facts and logic, but I refuse to tolerate BS. :banghead:

#10 ·
Sheep indeed...

OSLO - When a man dressed in a police uniform began slaughtering young people at a Norwegian summer camp last week, one of the first to be killed was a real police officer named Trond Berntsen, who for years had worked in security at the camp.

Whether Officer Berntsen tried to stop the gunman is still being debated. But facing a man carrying multiple guns and ample ammunition, there was little he could do. Like most other police officers here, he had no weapon.

Source

#11 · (Edited)
Also, as they mention in the text; in Norway, the police officers' firearms are locked into their patrol vehicles, where the officers are (I shit you not) physically unable to retrieve them. If they need their firearms they have to contact their superior and have him authorize the unlock (ie providing them with the combination to the lock).

In Sweden (as also mentioned in the text) the police started carrying firearms at all times after police officers were murdered by an armed burglar in 1965 (he used a Swedish K SMG). Prior to that the police was only armed at special events and/or during night.

#12 ·
skullworks,

fwiw, i used to (monthly from 01/70 to 08/73, when i "rotated" back to "the land of round doorknobs") carry a large US Army payroll (we paid our "local nationals" & LS personnel in CASH/DM.) in my POV with an UNLOADED .45ACP pistol in my holster. - at the time i was a 2LT/1LT in the Military Police & the local Provost Marshal.
(at any other time, i COULD carry my .45 loaded. - i couldn't ever see the difference!)

when i asked WHY i was carrying a UNLOADED firearm while protecting the payroll/myself, i was told that the SOFA Agreement between the FRD & the USA required "payroll guards" to be UNARMED for the safety of the general public!

btw, WELCOME BACK!

yours, sw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.