Gunhub.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years there has been some disparaging commentary from sundry 'Netizens about whether these images are faked… especially the one of the fellow with the "Screw me, man, I know I screwed up big time!" look in his sedated eyes.

I invite the more critical-minded and strong of stomach to review these images and compare them to the first guy… or does someone wish to insist that these are fakes as well?!?

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Actually at Fernando's house on Friday night (at GunStock) we discussed things like this. BigMike told some stories of things he had witnessed while running in an ambulance crew.

When my brother did a rotation at Baltimore's FAMOUS "Knife and Gun Clubhouse" (AKA University Of Maryland Shock and Trauma Unit/ER) he got to see up close what happens when a guy uses his toes to push the trigger of a shotgun whose barrel is in his mouth!

BigMike told an interesting story of a person who committed suicide with a gun and when they arrived the gun was still holding up the body (sort of like a tripod)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My bad, so here's my correction:

mikegunner said:
At Fernando's house on Friday night (at GunStock) [...] BigMike told an interesting story of a person who committed suicide with a gun and when they arrived the gun was still holding up the body (sort of like a tripod)
Ooops, guess I didn't make myself clear. The rifle was a short distance from our patient. On arrival on scene, viewing from within the ambulance, my first thought was that the patient had died "in the tripod position."

This position is well known to EMS personnel. The patient sits leaning forward, hands or elbows on knees, hands may be holding up the head. It generally means the patient is desperately in need of oxygen, either due to lung or heart problems. If you find a person in such position, with difficulty talking or breathing, and they are not simply resting from a brief exertion, dial 911 immediately.

In this case, my first impression was wrong. The patient had attempted suicide. The face was removed by a 30-06 fired with the muzzle in the mouth.

The patient survived.

G

·
0 Posts
Some of these images and other similar images are documented at http://www.rotten.com

Warning: Rotten advertises their site as "intended to give the viewer a truely unpleasant experience."

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
One of my first call, nearly 34 years ago, was a suicide on New Years Eve. We arrived at the apartment to find a 30 something male, deceased from a gun shot wound. He had decided to end it all, as his live-in was celebrating with another man. He took hid M1 Garand, went into the tiled kitchen, lay down on the floor, set the M1 propped on a Tupperware bowl, with a bootlace tied to the trigger. The lace then went down around his foot, and up to his hand. Arranging himself to look at the muzzle, he yanked on the lace. This pulled the weapon off of the plastic bowl, and aligned the muzzle with his gut. When it went off, it hit just below the diaphragm, and exited out his back, taking a piece of his spine with it. It didn't kill him immediately, instead, he was paralyzed until he bled out. I had no idea that there was really that much blood in a body. Prior to that, all of my experience had been in combat , in a jungle, where blood disappeared quickly into the ground.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I find the first one (with the wheels on the guys chest) hard to belive. I am a EMT-I and am studing to be a Paramedic, so I have seen this kind of stuff in real life. A person hit with a truck like that , there would be a lot of blood on the scene.

The second one on the other hand is real. My instructor showed that pic to the class. The guy tried to kill himself with a shotgun, and missed!

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bigsarge said:
I find the first one (with the wheels on the guys chest) hard to belive. I am a EMT-I and am studing to be a Paramedic, so I have seen this kind of stuff in real life. A person hit with a truck like that, there would be a lot of blood on the scene.

The second one on the other hand is real. My instructor showed that pic to the class. The guy tried to kill himself with a shotgun, and missed!
  1. "Belive" {sic} it! Carjacker.[/*:qpvvhnjq]
  2. What "shotgun" one are you referencing?[/*:qpvvhnjq]

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm not going to bother looking at the pics as I don't feel like going :barf: right now.

But I will say this. A few years back, one of the Seargents in my JROTC program decided to take a nap infront of a humvee, someone got in, started it up, and ran over him. He survived (and will never live this down :lol: ) with only cracked ribs.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My question regarding the second set of photos is this; the close up of the lighter shows it is backwards in his hand. He couldn't (naturally) use the lighter the way he's holding it.

I suppose he could have lit the firework in his mouth, then turned the lighter around backwards before it went off, but....

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It turns out that…

This actually doesn't qualify for the 2004 Darwin Award Committee consideration, and has therefore been revised to reflect the facts of the event.

For any who questioned the authenticity of the images, they are real, unaltered (other than the obvious "highlighting of details"), the event occurred just over 90 days ago, and I know the origin of the photos… only the details have been clarified: it was a suicide.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Dean, I hope you won't bite off too many of my fingers for asking this, but what exactly do these hideous images have to do with TGZ? None of them involves guns. Consider an antigunner or even a neutral perusing the site and coming across them--what does it say about us that these are here? Do we find them amusing, or are we fascinated with guts, death, etc.? I'm not saying that that viewpoint is correct, just asking you to consider it, that's all.

One of the reasons I gave up reading Shooting Times many, many years ago was Jerry Constantino's insistence on filling his "editorial" month after month, year after year, with "dumb crook" stories. Here was a magazine supposedly preaching the line that guns were for sporting and law-enforcement use, but the editorial every month was about criminals, which of course subliminally ties the two together (sort of like the way TV news always uses a graphic of a handgun for any story about crime, whether there are any guns in the crime story or not). I enjoy an occasional dumb crook story as much as the next guy, but the unending flood of them in ST began to look like, "Hey, fellow criminals, here's some stupid mistakes YOU should avoid on YOUR next job!"

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Point reluctantly taken…

…but it all started out as part of the Darwin thing, and certain facts about this last one were revealed just late this week which removed it from the realm of Darwinian consideration.

Rather than take it down, I revised it, is all… and when something that "popular" comes along… you wouldn't believe the "hits" it's gotten over the past three months!… you are reluctant to dismount it. And yes, you could, I imagine, classify me as a "Hit's Ho'er" when it comes to something like that, especially when it's virtually an "exclusive."

I relate very strongly to your comments about Constantino… it was mostly the manner in which he did it: strident, remarkably humorless considering the subject material, and "cheap" content. Light lifting for him, and not in the slightest what I would want as a ready diet of Publisher's Message! But that's just me… and apparently, thee!

Anti-gunners? They are what they are, and I'll not pander to them one whit… having seen what Tom Diaz and his cadre are capable of torturing out of the most benign morsel of information, F'EITCTAJ!

"Neutrals?" O, well….

1 - 14 of 14 Posts