Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about asking this but I couldn't find anything about it in the user manual.

My GF bought a S&W Mod. 657 .38 spl +P

We got a box of the +P ammo with it.

Haven't fired it yet but my question is - Can I use just plain old .38 ammo in it that
I used to use in an older .38 that I sold some years ago?

Don't want to do anything which might damage a brand new revolver.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Check that model number real close. A 657 is a 41 Magnum.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The answer is yes although it is getting harder to find normal pressure .38 ammo.

It might be a good idea for her to start with the plain stuff and then try the +P to see how she likes it. There is more recoil but usually not bothersome.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it's a 637-3.
Old eyes need help too.

Thanks Charlie.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Difference of opinion are what make horse races. Charlie and I seem to disagree over the value of +P ammo but I have become very shy of using it in lightweight and ultralight revolvers.

For training, if you don't "roll your own," standard-pressure 130 gr. FMJ loads, either Winchester USA ("white box") or Remington UMC, are usually available at Wally World. For carry, I favor the recently re-released 125 gr. standard-pressure Federal Nyclad HP in these guns. Smoke Wagon Gear currently seems to have the best price, with the LE-contract 50-round boxes.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Spw.
It is one of those lightweight revolvers. She really liked it over 5 or 6 others the woman at the gun shop
showed her. It is (hopefully) made for the +P at least according to the instruction manual.
Only thing I wonder about (haven't fired it yet, very cold here) is the recoil but
since it is a carry weapon her adrenalin should be up high enough
that she won't even notice any recoil should she have to use it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Problem is, she'll sure notices when she practices with it; even standard vel loads can sting in the "ultra-light" guns.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea Shep.
She shot a 6" S&W .357 and really didn't like it because of the recoil but then
fired a 6" Ruger .357 and it is now her bedside revolver.
The difference in recoil between the two is quite noticeable even for me.
She won't even touch my .44 Mag.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
shep854 said:
Problem is, she'll sure notices when she practices with it; even standard vel loads can sting in the "ultra-light" guns.
I agree with the statement but the 637 is an Airweight, what I would call a lightweight gun. I usually use the term ultralight for the ones that have gone even lighter, such as the Airlite guns.

Still, I encourage those who consult me to stick with steel-frame revolvers, particularly in the small-frame iterations, not only because of the cited training issue but also because I like more mass, to stabilize the gun against a hurried trigger stroke.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only real consideration here is that it will have limited usage (hopefully) as a carry gun for her.
Other considerations are that it is light and comfortable for her to carry, draw, etc.
Been schooling her on accessing it with a heavy winter coat on, etc.
It's working out well and she handles it well.
Hope she never has to use it but in todays crazy, drug filled society one never can tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts