Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From today's Wall Street Journal opinion page:
The National Rifle Association is suffering a sudden onset of amnesia this week, as the gun lobby cuts a deal to exempt itself from the latest Congressional attempt to repeal the First Amendment. NRA members may soon regret the organization's bid to ingratiate itself with Democrats at the expense of its longtime free-speech allies.

The campaign finance bill, sponsored by Senator Chuck Schumer and Representative Chris Van Hollen, is the Democratic response to the Supreme Court's January decision in Citizens United v. FEC, which restored the First Amendment right of corporations, unions and nonprofits to make independent campaign expenditures.

[…]

The NRA may swing a big lobbying stick by virtue of the breadth and voting power of its members, but it draws its legitimacy from the Constitution and it has drawn support on gun rights from those who care about the entire Bill of Rights. Cutting a special deal at the expense of the First Amendment with lawmakers who have decided for now to stop gutting the Second Amendment reveals an NRA that is unprincipled and will be weaker for it in the long run.
Source (subscription required for full article)

Apparently, the bill contains a provision that includes new disclosure rules for corporations similar to "approve this message" requirements, and for them to identify their donors. The new rules won't apply to orgs in existence for more than 10 years, have more than 1 million members, and get less than 15% of funding from corporate donors. "This fits the NRA nicely, though as best we can figure, everyone else, from the Sierra Club to Planned Parenthood, fails to qualify." says the Journal. Supposedly the deal was requested by Dems in conservative states looking for a good rating from the NRA.

The short opinion piece isn't clear about the nature or level of the NRA's nexus to the carve-out, and there's probably more to the story, but if accurate this is nutz. Besides the obvious infidelity to the full Constitution the Dems will certainly throw the NRA under the bus, just as they do all the "useful fools" they bribe in order to get legislation passed.

I assume we'll be hearing from the NRA shortly.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: NRA's stand.

.I should have checked my email this morning.

From the NRA:
The NRA's opposition to restrictions on political speech includes its May 26, 2010 letter to Members of Congress expressing strong concerns about H.R. 5175, the DISCLOSE Act. As it stood at the time of that letter, the measure would have undermined or obliterated virtually all of the NRA's right to free political speech and, therefore, jeopardized the Second Amendment rights of every law-abiding American.

The most potent defense of the Second Amendment requires the most adamant exercise of the First Amendment. The NRA stands absolutely obligated to its members to ensure maximum access to the First Amendment, in order to protect and preserve the freedom of the Second Amendment.

[…]

On June 14, 2010, Democratic leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives pledged that H.R. 5175 would be amended to exempt groups like the NRA, that meet certain criteria, from its onerous restrictions on political speech. As a result, and as long as that remains the case, the NRA will not be involved in final consideration of the House bill.

The NRA cannot defend the Second Amendment from the attacks we face in the local, state, federal, international and judicial arenas without the ability to speak. We will not allow ourselves to be silenced while the national news media, politicians and others are allowed to attack us freely.
Source

I take it that the NRA doesn't want to comply with any new regs in order to maintain its "free" speech, especially the prospect of having to turn over donor lists, which I suspect would include closely-guarded NRA member info. Tough spot to be put in.

Politicians are scum.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
J.D. Langendorph said:
Link from Huffington Post:

Feinstein Slams House Democrats For NRA Deal...
"Politics makes for strange bedfellows" -- and they're all kicking each other under the sheets!!! :lol: :lol: :ek: :shocked: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I sure miss folks like Neal Knox!!
If what I read the NRA is trading freedom of many for their security. Sure hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am not in the habit of following my own posts, but Common Gentlemen - do we fear to criticize an organization some of us have belonged to for over 50 years? I do not wish to destroy the NRA, but strongly feel they are terribly wrong in this instance and it is up to individuals to let them know how we feel.

The way I see it they are betraying all firearms organizations and gun owners using a smoke screen that should be transparent to any who read over the 3rd grade level. You have got to be offended by the latest statement to the effect that we do not understand the whole picture, this can be known only by the precious few who have greater knowledge and insight that we poor unknown folks who do not have the wisdom they do!

The more manure they shovel the deeper they get.

Am I the only one who sees it this way?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts