Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the NRA convention and show is over and an unqualified success. Estimates were that 60-70K people would attend and I'm pretty sure most of them were standing in one line or another... usually the same place I was trying to go.

I did not attend any of the speechifying events but all reports say they were great. I did spend two days at the exhibits which are basically just a shrunken Shot show. Honestly the booths from the major players were so mobbed you couldn't see anything anyhow so if there were major mid-year announcements I didn't see them. I did, however, pick up press kits and may find out later.

I did get a chance to look at Remington's entry into the 1911 fray. It is a plain jane GI style gun. The biggest stir is wondering where it is really made. I asked a highly placed Remington source and got a wonderfully evasive answer that included, "assembled and machined in Ilion". It is supposed to have an MSRP in the $550 range so my suspicion is that some parts have had long sea or air voyages. The guns I saw had no glaring cosmetic flaws- I would hope... but that's as far as I got.

S&W is expanding the M&P line including a pistolized version of the M&P15-22 but the most interesting thing was the "Rhino Revolver." There were only two prototypes there but it was decidedly clever. If anyone remembers the "Mateba" (sp?) revovler it is similar. The bottom chamber is the one that fires so the bore is wll below the sight plane. Obviously this will be beneficial in recoil management since it will be directed straight back down the arm instead of above it. The lockwork is a complex bunch of levers and stuff that produces a very nice DA. They had one with a clear sideplate so you could see how it works. I'm sure of one thing the idiot who takes it apart will get no sympathy from me.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I'm sure of one thing the idiot who takes it apart will get no sympathy from me.
And he'll get no help from me.

Ithaca had some 1911s there that were quite pretty. It sounded as if they will be the answer to those that complain about MIM parts. If I understood correctly, all the parts are machined out of bar stock to very small tolerances and assembled. I understood the rep to say that there was no handfitting... if a part didn't fit it was discarded. I don't know that they will run, but I would love to wring one out. However, I wonder who they had advising them. They chose an extended slide lock for their entry to the 1911 market, and the MSRP is $3500.
They are also planning a plain Jane GI repro model next.

The Doublestar 1911s looked like a buy, and probably are GTG out of the box.

Colt has a light weight Commander that Wiley Clapp has spec'ed out. Series 70 lockwork, beavertail, Pete Single 25 lpi checkering on the front strap, Novak sights- brass bead front, rear with a .170 window, and custom stocks. It looked useful out of the box. I would've rather seen an extended thumb safety of some flavor.

Stopped by the GLOCK™ booth to see how the Gen4 (more perfectest) guns felt with the smaller backstraps, but none of the display guns were labelled. I didn't want to wait for a rep or listen to a spiel, so I left.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I would hope thats a typo, but who knows,

Charlie, on the Remmy gun how bad was the monster rollmarking that I have seen in Print. One article had it looking almost as deep as the serations on the STI's. I really wish someone making a new one would come out with a naked slide version, or at the very least, a very minimal roll mark.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I know.
It is not a typo. $3500. Three thousand, five hundred dollars. Thirty-five hundred.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
It is a good thing I didn't see that because I probably would have said something rude...
I think that happened when I pointed out that Judge carbine...

The new Deltapoint optic looked pretty neat; I may need one of those.

And you really ought to see if you can get one of those Rhino revolvers for testing purposes... :)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't have a REAL gun for comparison but the rollmark was pretty deep.

I was fairly sure Tim didn't make a typo. Since I didn't see it I shouldn't judge, but for that much money you should get a gun from somebody who hand fitted every part and kiss you too... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Charlie Petty said:

I was fairly sure Tim didn't make a typo. Since I didn't see it I shouldn't judge, but for that much money you should get a gun from somebody who hand fitted every part and kiss you too... :twisted:
But Charlie, surely you got that much money per gun you built.........

ducking

running,

Serpentine, :bolt: serpentine

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was building guns people often bitched because I charged $100 for a complete accuracy job,,, :?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Tim Burke said:
. . . Ithaca had some 1911s there that were quite pretty. . . . the MSRP is $3500.
At that price, maybe they're planning it as a companion piece to the Bushmaster ACR?
Tim Burke said:
. . .They are also planning a plain Jane GI repro model next . . .
That would interest me, as my Dad carried an Ithaca 1911 during WWII . . . I've seen a few for sale since, and I dearly wish I knew the serial number of the one he carried.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Charlie Petty said:

Um, on my budget for that price the builder better be a hot chick who's including a night or two in the sack with her as part of the package... :shocked: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
WaltGraham said:
Tim Burke said:
Walt's been busy!
The more I look at that thing, the more I want one.
It would have been a groundbreaking, game-changing design about 110 years ago. :?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Snake45 said:
It would have been a groundbreaking, game-changing design about 110 years ago. :?
I guess I'm not old school, I'm ancient school... :)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Attaboy Walt :thumbsup:

Tim, could you please give us details on the Ithaca. I know the real WWII guns are going up fast- although not that high- so what are they offering for that modest sum?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
They had 2 Ithaca models there. A blue, high polished pistol with, IIRC, a storm lake match barrel (completely jeweled), beavertail, functional sights, tactical safety, funky cocking treatments front and rear (I thought it was very fine checkering, but the picture I found from SHOT looks like fine serrations with a border), extended slide stop, and checkered front strap. That was the $3500 gun.
They also had a plain 1911 A1, tang safety, small sights, small thumb safety, parkerized gun that was going to be their next model. No price offered on it, just "less." I should hope so. As of Sunday, I couldn't find any mention of any handguns on Ithaca's website at all. I did find a picture of both guns that someone took at SHOT here.
Edited to add:
Better picture here. This one does show checkering rather than cocking serrations.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
How 'bout that crap with the Marriott posting at the very last second via taped-up printout after presenting themselves as wanting gun-owner business? "Take their money, then potentially criminalize 'em"--real frackin' brilliant way to get repeat business, jackasses!

Guess that's another Burn Notice I'm gonna have to prepare... *rolls eyes*

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Diamondback said:
How 'bout that crap with the Marriott posting at the very last second via taped-up printout after presenting themselves as wanting gun-owner business?
Didn't hear about that. Since you can legally possess while in your own residence, and a rented hotel room qualifies as a residence, I'm not convinced their postings mean anything anyhow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts