Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired one; anyone have experience building rifle from this kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not yet. I have one in the closet myself. I have the stripped receiver and a parts kit but I have not been able to find the time with everything we are doing around the house. When I get to it I will post my experiences while building and hopefully you will do the same.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I got one about a year ago in 308, and it works great. I am not sure if those being sold now, are by the same manufacturor as the one I bought, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, I am in the same; I have a stripped rec. and with most of the remaining parts (97-98%). I haven't sent the kit/parts for assembly yet, but i am curious of experiences of those who have. I will post my experiences as soon as I find time, like you, to get it done. Most likely I will have Warbird do it.

Harv, thanks for the input.

Sorry to hear the kits are sold out though.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tim does damn good work. I had him rebarrel a CMP rack grade in .308 and repark it as well. It is the best park job I have personally seen on a Garand. The rifle shoots sweet and looks sweet.

I am going to put mine together myself. I built a Winchester from a stripped receiver last year and that went well. I also have a 5-digit stripped receiver that I will be building up later this year. I need to get another parts kit from DuPage.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Out of curiosity.....

John, out of curiosity, I wanted to inquire how you are going to build up the five digit?

I have one as well (18XXX) and was thinking about rebuilding it as a postwar refurb with a 49 barrel and mixmaster parts. I thought it would be a reasonable rifle and easily something that would ring true as a rifle that could have been.

Then I saw that Dean's is asking questions about "who would be interested in" a set of reproduction gas trap parts for building clones.

Now I can't decide and I wondered what you were thinking of building.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I really do not have any interest in building up a gas trap replica. Even if the repro parts did not cost an arm and a leg it would not appeal to me. I will do pretty much what you first stated, put together a post war rebuild style of Garand with a '50s barrel. That is basically what I did with my Winchester receiver that was TE marked from a '60s rebuild. I am just so glad that I got a 5-digit, it was really unexpected. I always wanted one lower than the 6-digit I received on my first rifle from the CMP.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the perspective.

I really am just about as intrigued with the rebuilds as I am with the earliest rifles, because these are also scarce and take so many different forms.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree. My second Garand from the CMP is a 4.28 mil SA that went through the Red River Army Depot rebuilds in the mid '60s. It still carries its original barrel but has seen a fair amount of use with barrel numbers in the MW3 and TE4 range. I started getting more interested in the rebuilds when I got my Winchester receiver. My 5-digit went through what looks like SAs rebuild system in the 60s and I would love to keep the finish on it but there is some rust that I have to take care of. I find myself looking for rebuild marks when I check the rifles these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts