Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
150 Police Officers, who joined the force before an Early 1990s cut-off date and who opt for the .38 Spl. Revolver as their carry weapon of choice, have been officially ordered to transition to a 9mm automatic.

The end of an era for the NYPD. I believe New York Bailiffs still carry revolvers, however, and this story does not mention them.

NYPD to officially retire the six-shot .38-caliber revolver - NY Daily News

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
This is real progress. Now, instead of missing six times, NYPD officers can miss sixteen times.

I'm sure the city, in it's wisdom, will have all of the wheel guns melted down or otherwise destroyed.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
CaptainGyro,

EXACTLY SO. = Based on my personal experience with members of the NYARNG, who were also NYPD officers, NYPD does have some GOOD marksmen BUT they are evidentally FEW in number.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is real progress. Now, instead of missing six times, NYPD officers can miss sixteen times.

I'm sure the city, in it's wisdom, will have all of the wheel guns melted down or otherwise destroyed.
I would hope that they would let the officers currently in possession if the guns keep them, if the city has no further plans for their use. Unfortunately, your suggestion being the case would not surprise me.

·
Registered
806 Posts

When first issued they were restricted to 10 round magazines. I believe that policy was rescinded in the late 90's.

I talked to a NYPD revolver carrier in 1991 and he told me the issue cartridge was still a 158gr RNL at that time. I don't know if that ever did change. If they were still issuing that round in 1991 I wouldn't be surprised if they ever changed. IIRC, semi-auto's came around 1993-ish.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Not New York, but I saw a news report from Fox 29 Philadelphia yesterday, during the snow storm in Philadelphia.

I wish I could find video. There was a Philadelphia Police Meter Maid being interviewed, nice lady, with a revolver on her hip. Wood grips, too. So it looks like Philly still has a few out there in issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts