Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that the summer is here and the kids are not in school it is time to start official handgun training.

The kids have shot before, mostly just an old pellet gun I have that is waaaay to big for them and every so offten my AR with the .22 conversion in it, but never formal instruction. So I've decided that Friday's will be "Teach em to Shoot" day.

Started them off with a Ruger MkII but it was a tad too heavy for the two smaller ones so I switched them to a small frame S&W.

Colt had shot with this gun one other time so he picked it up fairly quick... hitting an official 25 yard target (placed at 7 yards) with every shot.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next up was Sig... the runt of our litters. She had some problems with holding the gun up, but we kind of got through that. Her next problem was closing one eye... when she tried closing one the other would want to close.

It took usbout 20 rounds to get this worked out then she started hitting the target consistantly.... low (she was anticipating the shot) but fairly centered over all.

Both Colt and Sig had to sit on stools to be able to reach over the bench. :p

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally up was Oli. She shot the Ruger MkII (the type gun both her and Sig own) and being older and more versed in taking directions (from teachers) she pick it up right off. Every shot on target... starting low right, and then moving up to the orange after adjustments of grip, trigger finger, and press... with over 1/2 box ending up in the orange.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After everone had been through a box it was now time for a 5 round match @ 7 yards. Targets were 13"x13" square, with a 9.75" scoreing rings (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10) (5 being the widest at 1.5", moving down to the 9 ring @ .5" with a 1.5" 10 ring)

First up was Colt... he scored 3 - 6s and 2 - 8s for a 32.

Then Sig... 1 - 0, 2 - 6s, 1 - 8 & 1 - 9 for a 29

Finally Oli... 1 - 6, 2 - 7s, 1 - 8, & 1 - 9 for a 37.

While the scores were not up there with the Free Pistol Shooters of the world all shots hit the target with only Sig throwing a flyer outside the scoreing rings.

During the "Match" while Sig was up, Oli heard one of the customers that was watching state "I can't believe he is teaching that little girl to shoot.". The customer said it in a good way probably meaning that I'm starting her so young (and remember, she is our runt so she looks younger then 7)

After the match, the manager Frank gave each of the girls a Shoot Straight hat which was kind of kewl (Colt had one from a previous trip to the store with me).

I then posed them for the Team Schmit Publicity Photo......

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
That's really nice! I wonder if the grabbers would get the "Family values" connection or just faint at the site.

I have to work on the wife so there will be a Team "Stahl." My boys are 9 and 6 and shooting is one thing that Daddy can do with them while sitting in a wheelchair.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ed,

Hell, bring the wife also. Target shooting is one sport that everyone can compete in on even ground. It has nothing to do with strength, nor mobility. IMO your kids are at the perfect age. Grab a .22, herd them into the car and head to the range. Give them a class on safety, proper grip & stance, teach them to press the trigger and then coach them.

After they fairly got the hang of it have a "Meet"... 5 or 10 shots... winner gets to pick the place for lunch/dinner.

Better that they should learn from someone who they know and cares that they learn correctly.

Show your wife this thread. We have numerous members at the range that bring their kids in to shoot. There were two kids in when I brought mine in today. We also have a couple members that are in wheel chairs.

Shooting is a great activity to get into. It teaches responsibility, respect and tis better to take the inquizitiveness out of the kids and teach them firearms safety they they stumble upon a firearm without any idea except what they see in the movies and hear in the news.

Any way I can help let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts