Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep them around in case ammo ever gets outlawed

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Israeli surplus years back that looks like it was stored in salt water for a year. Well, not that bad but pretty bad. Out of the 1200+ rounds, I culled a couple hundred out that had cracks,dents & corrosion spots too bad to use. I then took some of the not too bad looking stuff to the range. About 1 in 5 went click instead of bang. The ones that did shoot were terrible for accuracy, minute of basketball @ 100yrds. I pulled the bullets out of the misfires & culled ammo. Some had stick powder, some had ball, even in the same lot. I flushed the powder and crushed the brass but kept the bullets. They are regular ball 147-149. The tail of them are exposed lead. Some are cratered in at the rear, most some type of slag hanging out of the lead in the back of bullet. The only way I can get the slag off is to file them. I've been thinking of making some kind of jig so I file the tails off all the same length & weight. It seems like more work than its worth. I did about 100 by hand and just eyeballed em. They still shoot pretty bad, minute of grapefruit @ 100yrds. I use them as foulers for now.
Any ideas on maybe using the bullets from these? I could just keep using em for foulers for the next 75 years, make them inert & scrap them for metal or demo them. What would you do? I still have almost 1,000 left, 900 to pull.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would call it a mistake and give (or sell) them away. Or trash them. To me it is not worth my time to mess with them. Especially since the bullets/powder is garbage. ---Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'd pull the bullets, dump and burn the powder, ding the primers, and then dump the remains in the trash.

Known unreliable ammo is almost worse than no ammo at all. With such poor quality control in the rounds you've looked at, what makes you think that one of the "good" looking rounds isn't an overcharge? I'd get rid of it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are .308 caliber, the cases are headstamped T Z *80* to T Z *77* wich are the year the lots were made I guess. They have no NATO cross but look military. The cases are boxer primed but the flash holes are off center & not round. I dont belive they are worth the time it would take to try to prep for reloading. I forgot about them for a while except for the ones I pulled a few years ago. Every time I loaded a new batch of ammo for 308 I would load 2 or 3 with the pulled bullets to foul the barrel before using the good stuff.
I was going to take them to the boonies and demo the whole lot, then I start thinking they may come in handy in case of an end of life as we know it situation. Seems like if i get rid of something, I will soon need it. Maybe if I keep em around nothing bad will happen :lol: .

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'd dump them----I don't consider poor quality, unreliable ammo to actually be ammo, at all----more like an accident waiting to happen. :roll:

·
Registered
87 Posts
ChairborneRanger is 100% right, Lose Them.

26th LGS

·
Registered
134 Posts
personaly I would dump the powder pop the primers and then reassembal the cassings and bullets into dummys, then get M60 links and make one hell of a long belt of machinegun dummys to wear around for halloween as rambo or what ever. that's what I did with a bunch of berdan primed .30-06 casings.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I like M1Granadman's Idea of turning them into belt dummy ammo. Halloween is coming up. It may make a nice boarder for around the living room. Who sold you this junk? I hope you got a good deal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You should hold on to these. Keep them separate and then mix them in randomly some days on the range. This will give you a chance to practice clearing misfires.

There is one thing to consider, though. If you use a public range, you may want to take some apart and reassemble them as dummy rounds. That way a hang-fire won't suprise others and get you removed....

·
Registered
134 Posts
I realy like that last idea. I once had some bad english .303 ammo that failed to fire 10% of the time and hangfired 30% of the time. that would have been good to train kids learning to shoot what a hangfire and misfire are.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you have a garden, the powder is an excellent fertilizer!! Almost pure nitrates!! Don't waste it, grow some firecracker hot peppers!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
hey that's a realy good idea. I have some old powder at my house too. the can is rusting on the inside and it smells like ether

·
Registered
1 Posts
need help with misfires

I shot some old match grade .308 ammo yesterday and experienced a few misfires. I am not sure how to dispose of these rounds safely. Can I just take a pliers to them and pull the bullet and dump the powder? Is this safe? What precautions should I take? I have never done this before and I don't want to do anything stupid. Is the cartridge unstable after the misfire? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Re: need help with misfires

whatz_hisname said:
I shot some old match grade .308 ammo yesterday and experienced a few misfires. I am not sure how to dispose of these rounds safely. Can I just take a pliers to them and pull the bullet and dump the powder? Is this safe? What precautions should I take? I have never done this before and I don't want to do anything stupid. Is the cartridge unstable after the misfire? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!!
- get yourself a bullet puller if you haven't got one- it's like an eraser on a pencil- i use the hammer type from quientics- they're cheap and there's no chance of a boom because nothing touches the primer- something no shooter should be without- brand doesn't matter

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Powder smelling like ether and/or acetone is normal. Those solvents are used in the manufacture.

Acrid odors and especially reddish vapor, powdery dusty appearance in powder are signs of possible chemical hazards, and even instability like what blew up the USS Maine down there in Cuba. Don't even sniiff, and dump it on the garden ASAP if you run into that stuff.

Ammo like what you describe can be re-assembled into good "bang" rounds if you just pull the bullets, dump the powder and use new powder of an appropriate charge weight. Just about any boxer primed cases can be safely reloaded.

If you're bent on disposal, I believe in only the incineration method, but that requires a steel-can wood stove or similar hardened fire source, and tossing in only about 10 rounds at a time. Commercial/gov't incinerators are another matter.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You tried the bullets and they didn't show any accuracy. You could try jigging them up to produce something better but is it worth the effort? The brass is potentially dangerous. You don't know what the powder is. And hopefully no one tries to salvage primers. Anything in this lot is suspect and in fact may be seconds from the loading factory. Who knows if they didn't overload some? S**t can all of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts