Gun Hub Forums banner

Old red dot scope identification help needed.

13K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  WaltGraham 
#1 ·
]I need some help identifying (and if possible locating one...) this old red dot scope. The images are from people who have purchased this scope online on ebay and the like. They say it is an old Aimpoint, but representatives from Aimpoint say they don't recognize it and have no records of ever selling such a scope (MARK V). There does seem to be some similarities with Aimpoints like the battery compartment, but I am totally stuck in my search for one of these scopes. The only identifying markings seem to be "MARK V" between the elevation adjustment knob and the battery compartment. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Just out of curiosity, why do you want one so much? There are many superior designs available today.

#7 ·
I am making an accurate and fully functional replica of a science fiction prop sidearm from the show 'Space Above and Beyond' for my collection. Mediocre show, cool gun... Also looking for the old style Aimtech mount and the old Laser Devices BA-2 laser for Glock 17L. I know it may sound silly but hey, everybody has their own thing. Mine is creating a collection of fully functional iconic guns from movies, shows and such! Thanks for all your help. :cheers:

Attachments

#9 ·
Charlie Petty said:
It is so nice to have someone with a memory on the board. I knew I had seen it but could not remember where :oops:
I had to think about it for awhile. At first, I was thinking it might be an early ADCO, but then the old Action Arms ad popped up in my head. After finding the catalog online, I remembered that the Mark V is also displayed on the cover of The Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons (1st Ed.) mounted on an Uzi. This edition came out in 1986, and the optic was advertised as being just introduced.

#10 ·
Aimtech does indeed still make a Glock mount but it's been recently redesigned and is no longer useful for my needs. As for ebay and gunshows... :banghead: I'll keep vigilant! Who knows, this thread may yet yield something more, but I really can't complain, at least I the scope mystery has been solved! You guys have been an incredible help, thank you!

#11 ·
Way back when, I was assigned to a detail preparing for President Reagan to visit our town. I found myself at one time hanging out with the Secret Service Counter Assault Team (CAT). They follow the president in a black Suburban and they told me that their training goal was to be able to jump out of a slow moving car and get an accurate shot off in a second and a half. Their weapons were Colt M16 Carbines with that Israeli Action Arms red dot sight. They said without that sight, they couldn't make the shot so fast. This was the first time I had seen a dot sight anywhere outside of competition.

Since then, I have been enamored by red dots and black Suburbans.

#12 ·
Mushinto said:
Way back when, I was assigned to a detail preparing for President Reagan to visit our town. I found myself at one time hanging out with the Secret Service Counter Assault Team (CAT). They follow the president in a black Suburban and they told me that their training goal was to be able to jump out of a slow moving car and get an accurate shot off in a second and a half. Their weapons were Colt M16 Carbines with that Israeli Action Arms red dot sight. They said without that sight, they couldn't make the shot so fast. This was the first time I had seen a dot sight anywhere outside of competition.

Since then, I have been enamored by red dots and black Suburbans.
Noted on Rt 31 in Tanner, Alabama a couple years ago.
Nice gun, too!!!

Attachments

#16 ·
Have one of those Mark V sights on my SS floating bbl HBAR. The batteries last such a long time that when they finally gave out, they're obsolete Hg cells. They're a bit of a problem to locate 640A two of them. Good sturdy sight and as accurate as your eyes are which mine are pretty bad! :)

Space Above and Beyond - it was an entertaining series, I think putting together an authentic prop from a show or movie is kind of cool - hey, some people think sending rounds downrange is odd! Good thing you don't have to find one of those Calico helical magazine subguns, they were in vogue as sci fic movies around that time too!

#24 ·
Did you sell your Action Arms red dot scope? I have one I am trying to sell for a friend, but have no idea of value. Thinking of trying the classified at GunHub, but didn't know if there is a better site to advertise it.
This is originally an eleven year-old thread. Don't expect an answer from the OP.

#25 ·
I actually liked that show, wish I could rewatch it.

As for Suburbans - I stopped at a McD's in New Market for coffee a while back, couple black Suburbans there. Followed FBI Director Mueller (at the time) out the door with his protective detail.

Got a nod and a smile I guess because I showed recognition.

Kind of respected him... then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.