Gun Hub Forums banner

on line certification, worst idea of all, please read....

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Wild Trapper 
#1 ·
as a former LEO not in a small town dept but in large metro div.(17 years swat)and active CCW instructor in ohio I cannot believe anyone who has "any assets at all" would want to do the minimum in order to take the responsibility of carring a firearm and the ability to take a life. Anyone experienced in CCW or enforcement or military will agree it is not about Just having a license IT IS ALL ABOUT THE LIABILITY a good course will give you hands on scenarios, and realtime evaluation of this ...ONLINE PLEASE, HOPEFULLY YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO USE THE FIREARM, you will then also need your "on line" attorney to save your holdings, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY SOMETHING SO IMPORTANT ANYONE WOULD CUT A CORNER......WOW not flamming just trying to give sound advice.

Indiana guys can also get ohio legal !!!!!!!!

#3 ·
CrazyJ,

The fact that it's a right doesn't mean it should be simply handed over without any regard to the awesome responsibility. Alaska and Vermont's systems are working very well, but I really doubt it would work that well in every state.

Carrying a firearm, or owning one for that matter, is an awesome responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly. In Alaska and Vermont, the vast majority of people who carry have never been exposed to the legal scenarios that they will learn in a CCW class.

They don't understand that if they're in a "good" shooting they can still be sued. In short, many in these states are absolutely IGNORANT to many things that should accompany a CCW license.

I'm all for shall issue laws, and I would love to see the cost for licensing come way down, but I think the mandatory training is in everyones best interest...Especially 2nd Ammendment concious gun owners. Remember, it's the screw ups that are noticed, not the triumphs.

So, I humbly and pollitefully disagree...

GunGeek

#4 ·
I definitely support basic gun safety being taught in schools... that said:

How about licensing printing presses and copiers? Misinformation can cause a lot of damage to a lot of people! And with all the terrorism going around, the Fifth Amendment is really an obstacle to public safety, too.

Voting is just as serious of a responsibility as individual gun ownership... collectively, more so... governments kill more people than individuals do.

#5 ·
I agree that people should have more information and there is a lot that can be learned via actual hands on, that you can't learn via online or a book.

However, and you knew this was coming, I am planning on taking an online course for the Utah license. I already have my home state license and taken courses with live instructors. But, in order to get a Utah license I have to take the specific class outline from an instructor approved by Utah. Having already had other ccw classes as well as other handgun training, why should I have to spend another couple of hundered dollars to go to an instructor just so I can get a check mark from that instructor for that specific license, when 90% of what I am going to learn (keep finger off trigger, etc) I have alread been taught. The 10% that I don't know is going to deal specifically with Utah laws. which can be handled via a book or the web.

There is a definite need to take hands on training, but there is also a place for online courses.

#7 ·
CrazyJ said:
Self-defense is a right, not a privilege. Anything that removes legal obstacles is good IMO. I wish more states had Vermont/Alaska carry rules.
Growing up around guns over fifty years ago I was taught this to be true and if we even thought about abusing the right, it became somewhat more like a priviledge. Would not be allowed to handly firearms until an adult decided we had become respossible enough. We didn't have accidental dischages in the group I learned to hunt with, the one who did would be banned. I learned gun safety long before I went into the service. Actually had a rifle club in high school back then. So I learned at home, at school and in the service. Since than I have not been a LEO or an instructor, but I do own hand guns, rifles and shotguns and believe in the right to self-defense. I practice my shooting skills as often as possible, belong to local gun club and am an active member. I have studied the laws concerning self-defense and know that I will probably never find myself in a situation requiring deadly force. I say this because of my life style and ability to read a situation before it gets out of hand. The one time I may actually need to resist with force would be for a home invasion. Not being wealthy, I'd be most concerned about my safety and that of my wife's safety. So, the only reason besides home invasion, that I would consider deadly force would be if my wife's or my life were in danger and we had no way to retreat.

Having said all that, and the fact that we travel in several other states, I applied to Florida for their CCW license. I've heard of too many problems with our Ohio CCW laws and that several who spent the money and went through the training were denied a license anyway. The Florida permit is good in more states than the Ohio permit is, this was another plus.

So, I'm not against getting the training, I think if it was reasonably offered near my home I'd go through it just for the experience. But, I'd still get the Florida permit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.