Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this before, but we do have new members, so here it is again....
June 6th, 1944, 69 years ago. On this day we made beachhead on Normandy. Brave young men climbed the steep cliffs of Point Du Hoc to be mowed down by German machineguns. Others never made it across the beach ...or to the beach. Some got shot down as the front landing doors of their landingcraft went down. The German General Rommel said that the day the allies invaded would be, for both invader and defender, "der lengst tag," or "The Longest Day." Nearly two decades later this was used as the title for one of the best films of the event ever made. Below is the verse from the film's concluding score.
In memory of those who did the real thing. There are so few left....

THE LONGEST DAY​
"Many men came here as soldiers;
many men will pass this way.
Many men will count the hours
as they live The Longest Day.
Many men are tired and weary;
Many men are here to stay.
Many men won't see the sunset,
when it ends The Longest Day.
The Longest Day, The Longest Day,
This will be The Longest Day.
Filled with hope and filled with fears,
Filled with blood and sweat and tears.
Many men the mighty thousands
Many men to victory.
Marching on right into battle
in The Longest Day in history."

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Thanks TommyGunn, we can't be reminded enough about some things.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Indeed, my Dad was off the coast of Normandy on a LST and my father in law was on the beach commanding an infantry company.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks, Tommy. :cheers:

Not much has been mentioned in the MSM today, at least from what I was able to watch or listen to...except for Rush.

I've got Bluray's of The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan and Patton. Might be a good night for a marathon.

To the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Army Air Corps and Coast Guardsmen, and the civilian warriors who fought and lived and died that day, our eternal gratitude and thanks.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
To ALL,

On this DAY OF SACRIFICE of many of those HEROES who went before us of The TWENTY-NINTH INFANTRY DIVISION, PLEASE remember them in prayer, as we lost so many of our brothers in arms at Omaha Beach & keeping the peace in Macedonia.

"29, LET's GO!"

yours, sw
former SGS, 29th IN Division (Light)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Rip

Rest in peace brothers...thank you for the privilege of living in a free country.
"All gave some, some gave all"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts