Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend at a gun show I saw a really nice BSA Martini action Cadet rifle that was rechambered to .32-20 which is one of my favorites.

Got it home and couldn't wait to go to the range... bad idea. It wouldn't shoot minute of barn and the first round I fired at a piece of paper went through sideways.

Out came the books and much to my delight I learned that the .310 Cadet cartridge used a bore of 0.316: :argh: :banghead:

Anyone know of a source of .316-.318 cast bullets :?:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Well, there's this:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7666.html

I also googled ".318 cast bullet" and got lots of hits. Most seemed to be questions on various fora asking where they could get them, as you are. I didn't click any links but I'll bet if you did, you could find something useful.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found lots for the .32-40 or .32 Special, but I'm not quite sure how a 180 gr. bullet would fit into the .32-20 case... :wink:

But I only googles "custom cast bullets"... I'll try your way and specify 100-120 gr. weight

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Well, there's always relining or rebarrelling.... :ehsmile:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I found lots for the .32-40 or .32 Special, but I'm not quite sure how a 180 gr. bullet would fit into the .32-20 case... :wink:
Back in the early 1980s, C.E. Harris and William C. Davis got decent results with a commercial 150gr swaged bullet in the .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Charlie, I just bought a revolver in 32 20. Do you have any pet loads for that caliber?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Charlie, do you have Corbin bullit swaging equipment? Do they have anything that can help you?

How about #0 buckshot (.32 caliber) over a case full of Trail Boss for a close-range plinking/squib load? :ehsmile:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My favorite is 3.0 gr. Titegroup with a 115 gr. cast bullet.

I don't have either swaging to casting gear anymore and I'm beginning to think that the best solution is to send it to Randy Reddman and get it relined.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I'm beginning to think that the best solution is to send it to Randy Reddman and get it relined.
If you like the rifle and want to keep it and shoot it, that's probably going to be your best bet in the long run. Good luck with it!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely bought it to shoot. We've got a series of steel targets that range from 3" to 14" at the 70 yd. line and it is fun to whack them.

I had one bright idea that almost worked. I loaded some .32 hollow base wadcutter bullets in the hope that the skirt would open up enough to take the rifling. They did, a little, to the point where they would stay on the 14" gong most of the time, but I want to shoot the little ones...

I'll ship it off after the first of the year. Don't know how long he takes nowadays but that should solve the problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
If you get a chance, Charlie, ask him if it's possible to reline just the chamber of a .22LR barrel. I'm pretty sure my Ruger 77/22V's accuracy problems are due to a too-generous chamber. I like the looks, contour and weight of the factory barrel and don't want to replace it (not that anyone makes a reasonably priced drop-in replacement barrel for 77/22V anyway).

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sarge you left off the :wink:

Snake I know that's doable because that's how we turned 9mm barrels into .38 Spec. back in the dark ages but I bet it would cost as much or more than a new barrel.

Have you ever made a chamber cast to get some actual dimensions?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:idea:

I'm so smart...

Yesterday I had the bright idea to try some Hornady 90 gr. LSWC .32 bullets. They are sized 0.314 and shot just great. Only had 25 rounds but was able to hit all the gongs with regularity...

y'all excuse me I gotta go load some .32-20 :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Good for you, Charlie! Glad to hear it! :thumbsup:

Have fun with the little beast and have a Happy New Year! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I don't know if Charlie has fixed his problem or not...but the new load worked for me. Neat rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts