Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.18 million SA receiver(manufacture date of about Jan. '43) that needs a barrel. A small local gunshop has two WW2 take off barrels for sale. Both have TEs of about 5, and MW of about 3. One has a manufacture date of 1 -41 and the other 11-42. But the second one has an import mark stamped on it, that I might be able to remove(Excell).
The second barrel(11-42) would be proper for my receiver, but has the import mark.
Both barrels have rifling that is about the same, strong dark rifling, and both are the same price, $150.
Should I get either one to install on my receiver? The 11-42 barrel, looks like it might headspace to my receiver. -12 Bolt(proper bolt would be a -2) comes just short of closing on a Field gauge when the barrel is hand tightened to the receiver. So it should shorten up enough to headspace.
Any opinions on which barrel, it either I should use?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm sure you know the "general rule" of barrel dates, i.e. 0-3 months PRIOR to receiver date but who's to say that '41 barrel didn't kick around in the armory for awhile before it was put on a receiver, or that it was a battlefield replacement. Anything could have happened. It's ok to put early parts on a later gun, but not the other way around. I bet even "The Shadow" doesn't know the answer here. Personally, methinks I would wait for a "proper" dated, non-import marked barrel, but that's just me.
Jon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since I'm primarily a shooter, I always want to ask what your objective is. If you are a shooter, buy a new barrel from the CMP.
If you want a "correct" rifle, then the questions you ask become more relevant.
If you want a "correct" shooter, then the receiver date is important. In the range of your receiver, a real good shooter (t=0/1 m=1/2) is more expensive than a new barrel.
I have a couple of each type rifles, and even the 5/3.5 barrels can shoot, but for the Highpower match, I shoot a new barrel.
As always, just my 2 cents.
Regards, Wilbur

·
Registered
858 Posts
Depends on what you plan to do with the rifle. If it is just going to be made correct and sit in the gun rack go with one of the offered barrels. If you plan to use it for a shooter, get a new barrel.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Get a new barrel and shoot it. Life is too short to worry about being correct and chances are you are not going to have any friends who care. If you want a correct one cruise up to North Store and go through them.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
received an H&R Garand from the MP with an August 1942 Springfield barrel on it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Once they hit depot rebuild all bets are off as to what went back on what.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts