Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking mostly at the Benchmade and CRKT lines. Didn't see anything by Spyderco that I really liked. (Does anyone know who makes Browning's knives for them?)

I want a straight (razor) blade of no more than 3" in length.

I like tanto or spearpoint type blades.

I prefer a thumb hole but will accept a thumb stud.

I prefer black

The Osborne 770bci that Mike posted a while ago would be perfect if it was half the price... (I know you get what you pay for).

But I also like mini-gryptillian and the Alan Elis.... Mini-Stryker and Nimvarus, etc., If I could get a non-combo blade at 3" or less.

Any suggestions folks?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Cold Steel. I know they are considered predestrian by many... my self included, but their newer knives seem to be very good.

Upper end, the SOG Vision is one hellovasweet knife. I liked it so much I paid for it on the spot at a Mall cutlery shop, full mall over MSRP pricing. SOG has since changed from the liner lock, like what mine had to an axis type lock.

But check one of those Visions out for yourself... feel it in the hand. That made all the difference, because I didn't even ask to look at it at first. But it was the picking up that told me I couldn't put it back down.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked them up on-line -- unfortunately there are very few places around here for me to get my hands on decent knives -- The mini x-ray vision looks pretty nice. I want to keep the blade at 3" or a little less.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd skip any of the Added to the line knives like Browning, SiG or S&W. Usually they are poorly made and over priced.

It sounds like either the AFCK or Ascent from Benchmade may be just what you are looking for.

[IMG=left]http://www.fototime.com/1E8CD61B83301C4/standard.jpg[/IMG]

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JAR, The Mini-AFCK is just a tad longer than 3" and I want to stay legal (In 30 years I have never been stopped or asked about a knife but no since in going to the other side).

I just recently picked up a CKRT Crawford Kasper and I love it. I'm waiting on Fernando to see if he can get me a plain edged Benchmade Mini-Stryker.

Ed

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Crawford Kasper is a great knife. I've carried one of them for many years. The CRKT version is also a great choice.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CKRT is certainly more economical than some other makes but you gets what you pays for! I'm happy with it.

Ed

·
Registered
356 Posts
Actually, IMHO CRKT makes some of the best value knives out there. I have a few of them and have been very satisfied with them. I particularly like the Mirage in both the large and small size. Great knife at a great price.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jar said:
Actually, IMHO CRKT makes some of the best value knives out there....<snip>... Great knife at a great price.
I got pretty much that same advice from Mikegunner, that's what steared me their direction in the first place. One of the gunshops in my neck of the woods only sells CRKT and Ka-Bar. They say the others are all overpriced. I like my CRKT but I've only had it for a few days now.

ED

1 - 10 of 10 Posts