Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading for more years than I want to remember and was wondering if anyone know the original loading for the .416 Rigby.

Several years ago I was in the market for a Cape Buffalo rifle and after a little research I decided on the .416 Rigby and have been happy with this selection.

I have many reloading manuals and have been reloading it for about 10 years and still don't have any idea what the original loading was?

thanks

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
When Federal released their loading of the 416 Rigby in 1989 it was supposed to be very close to the original load specifications. They kept the pressure limit to 40,000 CUP and drove a 410 gr soft point to 2,370 fps. Supposedly loading above that pressure could cause problems with extraction. Later Remington came out with hotter loadings with a max pressure limit of 50,000 CUP. Go figure.

A 300 gr at 2,950 fps, 325 gr at 2,900 fps, 350 gr at 2,750 fps and a 400 gr at 2,600 fps are supposed to be original loadings. However, Federal was the first ammunition manufacturer to offer a factory load. I would check to see what else they offer and go off of their ballistics to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the .416 Rigby (with 1.5X to 5X Leupold Vari-X III) to take a 4X5 bull elk last year during the 3rd season in Colorado with a factory Federal Bearclaw. I folded the elk on the spot with tracking involved at 140 yards.

I know this is overkill as I have taken Elk with ,7mm Mags, 300 Win Mags, 375 H&Hs,and a 45.90 at close quarters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.