Gun Hub Forums banner

Osama bin Laden is dead!

1K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  TommyGunn 
#1 ·
And we (U.S.) took him out. About time!

#5 ·
"Tonight, the United States has sent an unmistakable message - no matter how long it takes, justice will be done." - former President George W. Bush.

And he was killed in a mansion, no less, not in a cave. And in a firefight, not by a drone. Kudos to the badass US military personnel who scoured this scourge from the planet.

#7 ·
For some reason since i heard the news I've been in the mood for a good pig roast.

Now personally this is great news for me and at least one friend of mine. I personally know a ground zero first responder and hopefully this will give him some sense of closure about the worst day of his life. So a day of BBQed pork, booze, strippers and general fun seems a great way to memorialize someone who wanted all of that to go away.

#8 ·
This poses two questions: Did Eric Holder demand we capture and extradite him for civilian trial? Will this be the excuse to declare victory in whatever they're calling the war on terror this week and bring the troops home?

While an important deed for political reasons, I'm not sure it means much operationally. Other than letting his executive officer move up. Getting him is probably the more operationally effective.

#9 ·
I agree with Mr. Moore about the operational impact of this mission. But sometimes the psychological benefits of a particular mission have solid and definitive effects on enemy troops.

And talk about a morale booster, for soldier and civilian alike! Haven't seen so many flags since 9-11!

All reports indicate it was Seal Team 6 who went in, and that they had been prepping for this mission for about a week. We'll probably never know the exact make up of the troops on this mission, but I sure hope Mark Bowden, who wrote "Killing Pablo" and "Blackhawk Down" writes about this mission. Those Spec Ops guys seem to talk to him for some reason.

Oh, and I really like the fact that "...they gave him the option to surrender, but he refused, so he was shot in the head." Anyone want to bet that was the plan all along (at least as far as the operators were concerned?) A live Bin Laden would have been more of a problem than an asset.

All in all, a good day that has been a long time coming. Sure wish I coulda seen the look on his face!

#10 ·
IrishCop said:
... Oh, and I really like the fact that "...they gave him the option to surrender, but he refused, so he was shot in the head." Anyone want to bet that was the plan all along (at least as far as the operators were concerned?) A live Bin Laden would have been more of a problem than an asset. ....
I suspect they were likely dutibound to accept live surrender if it was feasible .... but happy as **** that he resisted and they terminated the problem. My father served in the Navy and during Korea was a member of the U.D.T., a "spiritual forefather" of the present day SEAL teams, so I am happy as a clam that it was U.S. Navy specops that whacked the evildoer.

Weird news; last night I heard that CNN had a report that OBL's corpse was "buried at sea."
:ek:
Uh, really? I don't think so; his body apparantly was removed to A'stan and DNA verification is to be employed to confirm the event.

:twisted: Other spurrilous reports indicate that OBL is now dealing with 20 mad Virginians and is doing poorly. :twisted:

#12 ·
TommyGunn said:
....Weird news; last night I heard that CNN had a report that OBL's corpse was "buried at sea."
Uh, really? I don't think so; his body apparantly was removed to A'stan and DNA verification is to be employed to confirm the event.......
Well, OOOOOOOOPS. I wuz wrong. Oh well. OBL is feedin' the fishes. In the "Arabian" Sea.

#13 ·
TommyGunn said:
TommyGunn said:
....Weird news; last night I heard that CNN had a report that OBL's corpse was "buried at sea."
Uh, really? I don't think so; his body apparantly was removed to A'stan and DNA verification is to be employed to confirm the event.......
Well, OOOOOOOOPS. I wuz wrong. Oh well. OBL is feedin' the fishes. In the "Arabian" Sea.
Somebody needs to deliver a wrapped fish to little nutjob running Iran, now. :twisted:

#15 ·
I'm happy to say it was a boat unit based here in VA that got it done.

And I'm currently raising a glass to the folks for which defending this country is simply what they do...

Here's hoping they'll release the video of OBL hiding behind a woman just prior to getting serviced.

#17 ·
I'm not a vindictive individual, but one of the images on my screensaver is that of a man falling from a tall building.

Some things should not be wasted as teaching moments.

OBL's head pickled and displayed in a jar of pigs feet might have provided one such occasion...

#19 ·
Obama sure likes to take the credit for this:
During his 49 minute presentation Brennan did squeeze in one reference to the mission's "very brave personnel." But the emphasis, with 2012 just around the calendrical corner, was on the boss' valor. "There was nothing that confirmed that bin Laden was at that compound," Brennan related as if such uncertainty is uncommon in war. "And, therefore," Brennan continued, "when President Obama was faced with the opportunity to act upon this, the president had to evaluate the strength of that information and then made what I believe was one of the most gutsiest calls of any president in recent memory."
Source, LA Times

#20 ·
Maggot said:
Obama sure likes to take the credit for this:
During his 49 minute presentation Brennan did squeeze in one reference to the mission's "very brave personnel." But the emphasis, with 2012 just around the calendrical corner, was on the boss' valor. "There was nothing that confirmed that bin Laden was at that compound," Brennan related as if such uncertainty is uncommon in war. "And, therefore," Brennan continued, "when President Obama was faced with the opportunity to act upon this, the president had to evaluate the strength of that information and then made what I believe was one of the most gutsiest calls of any president in recent memory."
Source, LA Times
Did "Brennan" still have his kneepads on when he said that? :roll:

#21 ·
Of course, there's this:

The trail that led to the doorstep of Osama bin Laden in Pakistan began years earlier with aggressive interrogations of al-Qaida detainees at the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay and CIA "black site" prisons overseas, according to U.S. officials.

It was those sometimes controversial interrogations that first produced descriptions of members of bin Laden's courier network, including one critical Middle Eastern courier who along with his brother was protecting bin Laden at his heavily fortified compound in Abbottabad on Sunday. Both the courier and his brother were among those killed, along with bin Laden, in the dramatic raid by U.S. special forces.

Source

G
#22 ·
Iowahawk on Bin Laden
As much as I am now embarrassed to admit it, if you had asked me 48 hours ago whether Osama Bin Laden would ever be brought to justice I would have probably answered "no." Like many Americans I had all but abandoned hope that we would ever capture or kill the 9/11 mastermind, and had resigned myself to the idea he would die an old man thumbing his nose at us from some comfortable cave in Waziristan. Well, I can happily report that I completely underestimated the skill, courage, and perseverence of America's military. And, almost as happily, I can report that I also completely underestimated the capacity of America's erstwhile "peace community" for turning on a dime and embracing the kind of all-American xenophobic flag-waving bloodlust they only recently decried. So today I stand proudly with my new friends of the formerly antiwar left in a mindlessly jingoistic salute to President Obama for an extralegal military assassination well done.
Me thinks the Nobel committee in Oslo must be hyperventilating about now.

#23 ·
djl4570 et. all.,

the more i learn about BHO, the lunatic-fringe left & the DIMocRATS the more i like poisonous snakes, scorpions, venomous lizards, slugs & worms.

fwiw, SOME of the "captured information" is HIGHLY sensitive & should have been kept "in house" rather than being put out in the mass media for the terrorists to see! = it is patently obvious that "political considerations", i.e. getting BHO re-elected, were PRIMARY in the outlook of "the BHO administration" rather than national security.

that "whole bunch" makes me GAG!

yours, sw

G
#24 ·
from Osama's hard drive. Toraboramap.txt

Little maze of twisting passages
Little maze of twisty passages
Little twisty maze of passages
Maze of little twisting passages
Maze of little twisty passages
Maze of twisting little passages
Maze of twisty little passages
Twisting little maze of passages
Twisting maze of little passages
Twisty little maze of passages
Twisty maze of little passages

The Company is seeking someone to assist them in decoding this file :D

#26 ·
Does anyone here think he's NOT dead?

On another forum I frequent, we've got four or five "deathers" already who think the whole thing is a big lie.

I am NOT one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.