Gun Hub Forums banner

OWB Holster With Snaps

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  stand watie 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of buying an OWB holster for my Kahr K9. I have one of the late Lou Alessi's Talon IWB models, and it's a fine piece of work, but my body shape doesn't lend itself to Inside-the-WaistBand type of holster. I'd like to try a pancake, and I have an HBE on order to go on my Beltman 1-1/4" belt. By all accounts HBE does good work, and I expect I'll like it fine.

I imagine it will fit snugly, and that's the basis of my question. How much effort is it to thread and unthread a pancake from its slots every time I go out?

I notice Mitch Rosen's Premier-FD offers OWB and snaps. Is that worth considering? Do the leather straps loosen over time? Is there a reason I don't see this type very often?

I'm looking for guidance on a good leather holster, so - please guide me.

#2 ·
Jaywalker,

It depends on the holster's quality, as much as the design does.

FYI, I have an OLD Tex Shoemaker OTB HORSEHIDE "pancake" that still fits my S-S P225 fine, though I've carried it "a zillion miles". - It will likely outlast me.

yours, sw

#3 ·
I am using a Mitch Rosen's Express Line snap on for my Kimber Super Carry Pro (commander size). I really like it. It's the first snap on holster I've ever had, and it is indeed easy on and easy off, But I don't think someone else could yank it off in a struggle.

It is friction fit with no adjustments, but it holds even when you turn it upside down and shake it.

Didn't cost and arm and a leg, either...just an arm. ;)

#4 ·
I Recently Added a Semi-Custom Holster...

...of this sort to my bear-season carry routine. Rather than repeat everything here, let me refer you to my Holster Selection page. Scroll down to about three-fourths of the way to "Semi-Custom" Holster - A Case Study.

I use this holster for about an hour a day and contrary to the concerns of the man who made it, after one month of such use, I can still hold it upside-down and the revolver - three pounds when loaded with my 300 gr. loads - will not fall free.

(You may or may not benefit from reading some of the material that precedes that section on the page.)

#5 ·
I guess it all depends on what your version of easy vs. not so easy is?? I personally find it easier to put a holster on by undoing my belt than using the snaps. Okay not always, I do have a couple of holsters that do the snap on thing fairly well. But regardless, anytime you use snaps, it is easier if you at least loosen the belt.

When carrying OWB I have found that a pancake holster that rides as high as possible in the 3-o'clock position tends to work best. Typically I will wear it under a large T-shirt. But honestly it's rare I'm not carrying IWB, I just prefer that arrangement much better.

HBE's pancake holster is first rate, I think you'll be rather happy with it. Eric is very good.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input.

spwenger, nice site - it was very helpful. May I ask why you characterize those holsters "semi-custom?" I would have thought anything you ask someone to make for you would be "custom." Also, I thought I was alone in having a drawer full of no-longer-used holsters... (The other pages were thought-provoking, also - point-shooting, caliber selection, similar action types, similar replacements in case of evidence lockers, etc.)

Irish Cop, I'd considered the Express line - I think I believed they came without sweat shields and I wanted that feature. They look pretty good.

stand watie, by all accounts HBE is pretty good, and he'll vary many of the features, such as rake angle.

Thanks, Kevin. I understand Eric of HBE got himself into trouble a few years ago by over-promising delivery, that is, taking lots of money and under-delivering. As I understand it, he 'fessed up, made things right, and now doesn't charge until he begins making the holster. That's nice and responsible, but it doesn't get me a holster any more quickly. I placed my order in March, and if it drags on past August, I'll try something else - maybe the Rosen snap-on I mentioned. I'm looking forward to getting something less uncomfortable than my IWB.

#7 ·
In My Mind...

spwenger, nice site - it was very helpful. May I ask why you characterize those holsters "semi-custom?" I would have thought anything you ask someone to make for you would be "custom." Also, I thought I was alone in having a drawer full of no-longer-used holsters...
...if someone creates a new design for you, from scratch, that's custom work. If someone has a group of existing designs and adjusts or modifies one to meet your needs, that's semi-custom. I've visited Jeff's shop several times. He does not mass-produce. Each holster, belt, etc., is made on a specific order. If you prefer to call that custom work, I'm sure he won't take offense.

(The other pages were thought-provoking, also - point-shooting, caliber selection, similar action types, similar replacements in case of evidence lockers, etc.)
I'm glad to hear that I'm doing my job. If you find the site useful, you may also enjoy my book.

#9 ·
As the maker of spwenger's holster, And a custom maker for over 20 years I'd like to comment on the above.
Many small custom makers like myself are one person custom shops, Each item is made one at a time by the same person, that does insure that the workmanship is constant with each product.
But it also creates issues with delivery times, a lot of people don't fully realize how much work and how many hours actually go into making some thing as simple as a good quality holster, It can't be done in just a day or two and it is very easy to get backed up without even realizing it is happening.
There are times when I find myself over three month's out on deliveries.
And I work 12 hours six day's a week.
Each of us can only do so much in one day.

As to the thick leather holsters, most of time that is done to keep the holster from collapsing without the use of metal reinforcing.
Many of us are old saddle makers ... Heavier is better .. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.