Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is something that ive been wondering since i refinished my dads garand.

a lot of the metal on the stock and handguards looked as if it had been painted OD green at some point. it looked like it had chipped off or been taken off most everything, but some remained on the upper and lower handguards. there might have been some in the lettering on the reciever as well. this is how it came from the CMP, maybe it was just some kind of oxidation? is this something that was done in the field commonly?

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I have one that used to have a red band painted around the HGs, what a pain to remove, too bad cause it was all original SA otherwise incl. the wierd sights with no lockbars, they kept coming apart. Oh well, it looks all better now with a few coats of poly on it and good ol' lockbar sights.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive read about the painted bands on the boards here and there. supposedly they can be pretty valuable! they signify a lend lease rifle to the british. i think the no lock-bar sights are pretty common, i think this is what was used on post war and rebuilt rifles.

i was wondering if maybe the marines sometimes painted their rifles camo or something of that nature...that is what i was trying to get at in the original post

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Painted Garands

The red band around the handguard on British Lend-Lease Garands meant (in British-Speak) DO NOT USE .303 AMMO IN THIS WEAPON...
No, The Marines did not paint their rifles....although we had as many ways of caring, loving, and decorating them as there were Marines !!

Semper Fi !!

·
Registered
198 Posts
i think the no lock-bar sights are pretty common, i think this is what was used on post war and rebuilt rifles.
Unless they are the old flush nut type (which tended to fall apart), in which case I'd imagine they'd be quite a bit rarer.

What did you do with those old sight parts, delloro?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
To answer your original question, painting the stock metal was probably a "field expedient" to cover up excessive wear.

Many of these M1's are ex-military school, drill team, and VFW rifles.
In these cases, there was no way to refinish worn metal, so often black or OD paint was used as an expedient.

My local veteran's funeral firing squad has some M1's that have the barrels and receivers painted black. The rifles were worn bright from years of use, and they didn't have the money for a re-parkerizing job, so paint was used.

Another area Marine unit has rifles that had been re-parked before being issued to them, but the stocks were rough, and the stock metal was lightly rusty.
They refinished the wood, and used a Brownell's baked-on lacquer finish in parkerized gray color. Looks good, and works well.

I imagine somebody wanted to put something on the worn metal of your M1, and what they had was OG Green paint.

·
Registered
697 Posts
qualityrockola said:
ive read about the painted bands on the boards here and there. supposedly they can be pretty valuable! they signify a lend lease rifle to the british. i think the no lock-bar sights are pretty common, i think this is what was used on post war and rebuilt rifles.

i was wondering if maybe the marines sometimes painted their rifles camo or something of that nature...that is what i was trying to get at in the original post
I have also heard that the Brits painted their stocks red... these M1's can go for $2000-4000 if not more. They should also have some British Proof marks on the rifle as well... should also be early WWII dates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I flipped open a WWI book the other day at the bookstore and saw a picture of a guy with his rifle (Enfield?) painted all camo'ed like he was the grandfather of Realtree Inc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts