Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about Francisco...

Fran, as we call him at home, will be 11 in March, he's my younger son, kid brother to Nelson Jr. He's also my 4'7" / 70-pound energy mega-generator! He's into all that's extreme, and competitive in every aspect of his life. I tell ya'... it's impressive to watch this kid at the skate park on his blades!!

Last summer I moved my family from Puerto Rico to Florida, and the little guy made me promise him that, since in Florida there's no firearm permit or license requirement for minors, he would start shooting with me. So it was! When they got here last June, Nelson and Fran had two brand new Glock 17's and the necessary mimimums to start attending the local IPSC matches.

Both my sons make me very proud, especially when they come to the matches and everybody compliments them on how safe they are as they move through the courses of fire and the way they solve the different situations as encountered in the stages. Most of the time, to be able to coach them I would RO them and everyone in the squad gets blown away with the conversations Fran has with me as he shoots. "Papi, I'm running out of ammo..." "Papi, I'm gonna change mag now, OK?..."

Once he was at the end of this COF that finished with an 8" plate at about 20 yds, very low on ammo and his skinny arms shaking because he gets very tired holding the pistol out for too long, he started shooting at the plate... BANG... miss, BANG... miss, BANG... miss, BANG... miss, after making his fifth shot he goes "Papi, this gun is getting really light..." BANG... miss... and now his arms are shaking like that pistol was 50 pounds! He brought the Glock to low ready to take a short rest, he turns his head and asked me: "Papi, I'm tired. What do you think if we leave that plate?" I said, "It's Ok, leave it". He looked at the plate and shot at it for the last time and missed again. He unloaded, showed clear and holstered. His time was close to 1.5 minutes for the stage.

I noticed that he stayed behind me while scoring and when I looked at him to tell him to come look at his shots on paper, that's when I saw the tear going down his cheek. I took a knee and asked him what was wrong and he replied: "I should've emptied that last mag on the stupid plate!" I told him that he did great, that he didn't quit even been so tired, and that even Grand Master shooters finish stages with "mikes", then gave him a big daddy hug.

That shows how competitive this young fella' is. I wish I had half of that spirit in me! And at that point I would've given my life for him to knock down that little plate!

Wish I know how to post a pic of Fran shooting to show you all who I'm talking about.

Just something I wanted to share,

Have a good weekend everyone.
Nemo

·
Registered
356 Posts
You done great and Fran done great. PM sent.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Boys

I see your older boy is a lefty! Your boys are the opposite of mine. My 9 year old is a string bean and my 6 year old is a bull!

Nice pics Nemo, keep us up to date!

Ed

P.S. Fernando, do your girls shoot?

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Fernando, do your girls shoot?
Unfortunately, no they don't. My thirteen year old doesn't have an interest. She's more concerned with boys and getting a driver's license and car. My eleven year old only cares about fashion design. Although there is still hope for the five year old.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13, 11 & 5...

Fernando,

Thirteen and eleven? That's what my boys will be this year. Two years apart seemed to have worked wonderful because they are best pals to each other.

However, I took surgical measures to avoid the six years later AD! :D :lol: :) :D :lol: Don't think that my wife doesn't get the I-want-another-baby blues every once in a while...

They are a blessing!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Good looking kids and a Dad that they look up too. Pretty good combination.

Now if they take those pics in for show and tell... :bigidea:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wonderful story, Nemo, or should I say "Papi"

thank you for sharing with us.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Read this post before, but decided to check it out again, and this time I checked out the pictures. Great post and pretty cool pictures, too. I'm sure you already know what 99.9% of the people in New York City would say if they saw those pictures. Interesting how people draw up dividing lines between themselves. I think they're cool. I hope that if I enter the hobby I can get to handle myself with half the proficiency you describe your boys as having.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts