Gun Hub Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason to restrict (choke) a combat shotgun? I understand centering the pattern to match point of aim/ point of impact, but is the standard 40 yard pattern used on field grade/ wing shooting shotguns relevant to the close quarters use of Tactical/Combat shotguns?

borrowing a quick rule of thumb from Mossberg owners.com:
Here is a quick reference chart:

Shotgun Choke..... Yardage...........Shotgun Choke Restriction

Cylinder................... < 20.......................... 0
Skeet...........................22.5......................... .005 (of an inch)
Improved Cylinder....... 25............................... .010
Light Modified...............30................................... .015
Modified....................... 32.5.................................... .020
Improved Modified........ 35.......................................... .025
Light Full....................... 37.5........................................... .030
Full............................... 40+................................................. .035
Extra Full...................... 40+.................................................... .045
Super Full......................40+........................................................ .055

and How to Pattern a Shotgun from Chuck Hawks: How to Pattern a Shotgun

Is 40 yards a realistic distance to pattern a combat/tactical shotgun?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Supposedly, an improved cylinder bore gives slightly better accuracy at distance with slugs it kind of helps with buck shot to supposedly. I didn't buy my gun because it had a choke. In fact I didn't notice it had one until someone pointed it out to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Seems like 40 yards is rifle distance unless you are using slug.

·
Registered
107 Posts
During firearms training on the written test the answer for what is the total effective range for a 12 gauge with buckshot is 50 yards. But I doubt it.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, I know all about it and I've seen the video. I know realistically 25 yards is pretty well it for buck shot. Slugs I've seen people make hits out to at least 75 yards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess that's why they want us to use number 4 buck when possible. I guess they think the more pellets the more hits you'll have on target. Who knows?

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Based on memory, No. 4 buck is about .22" and somewhere between 27 and 34 balls in a shell. That makes it pretty devastating at most gunfight ranges.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Depending upon the age of the constriction chart, it might not be accurate. Many of those were done in the pre-plastic shotcup days.

Cylinder bore frequently had holes in the center of the pattern, skeet #1 or improved cylinder became much more common on short barreled shotguns that weren't done to dead-bottom price lines.

Now then, the range you pattern shotguns should probably be dependent upon your tactical situation. Years back I patterned different loads at 34 yards due to a particular requirement we had. Standard buck produced 1+ hits on vital areas, Federal Tactical Buck averaged 5+ hits in the vital areas.

A couple of years ago I patterned standard #1 buck at 30 yards. Even with improved modified choke, couldn't put more than 50% of the shot on target.
While he was still at the S&W Academy, Tom Aveni did some comparative testing and decided improved modified was the best choice for most users.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here is an 8 part series where 12 and 20 gauge rounds are tested out of various barrel lengths. I don't necessarily like, agree with, or am a fan of James Yaeger but these tests are pretty extensive!

Part 1

Part 3

Part 5

Part 7

You'll need to watch all of them to understand the whole scope of the testing.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Standard 2 3/4 9 pellet 00 Buckshot, even with a 28 inch barrel and modified choke won't pattern 10 inches at 25 yards. Some brands won't even hold 18 inches at 25 yards.

(ie)

If your looking to keep all pellets within a 10 inch circle, you need to regulate your shooting to 50 feet. Barrel length and choke (restriction) don't appear to have the same moderating effect for combat/tactical use, as patterning of lighter weight higher count wing/game shooting.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
our "boys" have long since abandoned the shotgun- much better th hit the guy in the back with the 223- even the kids on the reserve hit the geese with a 22 lr- of course, being kids they get away with it

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
our "boys" have long since abandoned the shotgun- much better th hit the guy in the back with the 223- even the kids on the reserve hit the geese with a 22 lr- of course, being kids they get away with it
Good to hear from you again t-star. Give me a chance to even up a little, and we can reminisce about the days prior to plastic rifles. But the folks dancing the conga line still tote a blunderbuss as the magic door key. Not to mention we both know that the 9mm Model 39 (Hush Puppy) dropped more geese than any 22LR ever made. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
"Hush Puppy." It always got me POed that any LEO was trained to kill the dogs first.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I only have 3 shotguns- all for play- these "master keys" are very well and good, but when I want to blow a door, I want to "blow" a door- ie a judicious application of c-4- my 3 shotguns- a remmy 1100 in full duck- ie full choke, a beratta 400 lh in all 3 chokes, and a Winchester defender in ic- that was before I got to pick my own battery- I paid 150 for the 1100 and that was before you could get left handed models easily- and the fact that I can't hit worth a chit with a shotgun

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
"Hush Puppy." It always got me POed that any LEO was trained to kill the dogs first.
well if you're on the opposite side of the page ie the penetrator where you take out the most dangerous asset first, you can appreciate a well trained dog- the shepherds they use today are maybe a little slower and maybe a little more versatile than the Dobermans we used to encounter, ( the shepherd hunts by smell and hearing, the dobie is line of sight
personally, I have a shepard sleeping a the front door

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I only have 3 shotguns- all for play- these "master keys" are very well and good, but when I want to blow a door, I want to "blow" a door- ie a judicious application of c-4- my 3 shotguns- a remmy 1100 in full duck- ie full choke, a beratta 400 lh in all 3 chokes, and a Winchester defender in ic- that was before I got to pick my own battery- I paid 150 for the 1100 and that was before you could get left handed models easily- and the fact that I can't hit worth a chit with a shotgun
Well, 2016/2017 has given US allot more Tactical/Combat Shotguns. I'm not a real fan of Tactical Life, but they do have 20 pages related to shotguns.
Shotguns | Shotgun Reviews | Shotgun News

I'm sure you could find a lefty friendly shotgun that would assist in improving your shotgun abilities. ;-)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.