Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My grandsons (they'll be 9 and 10 by the end of the year) have gotten hard to buy for when it comes to Christmas. To them, toys are high end electronics and video games. They are way more wired (sorry) into the digital world than I am.

But they both really love coming out and shooting with me, mostly .22's, but they do both like my most recent acquisition, that M-1 carbine. So that got me thinking...

I was in Academy Sports today and found what I think is the perfect gift. I got both of them M&P 15/22's for Christmas. It'll be their first firearm, and I think I chose pretty well. They both seem to have trouble mounting a "normal" sized rifle, and I figure the collapsible stock will fix that. They have OD Green furniture, 25 round magazines, quad rails. Tell you what fellows, they look and feel good! I think Charlie and a few other guys have said what fun they are.

Can't wait till Christmas. Got a suspicion that ol' PawPaw might not have been thinking of just the boys when I picked these out. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Color me ignorant but I have really no idea of what a M&P 15/22 is .... an AR style gun that is dedicated .22RF?

Congrats on the purchase anyway, Irishcop.
My first experience with rifles was:
YMCA Boys Camp firing .22 rifles.
P.A.L. (Police Athletic League) riflery, evenings, with .22 bolts. Some were single shot and some had magazines~~I don't recall the make or model #. I always wanted one of the mag feds but it didn't work out but that wouldn't have made any difference; the police officer that ran the range went up the indoor range and passed out one round per kid for each volley. At no other time did we have a round, certainly any quantity of them. But we were all ten year old brats at the time so I guess I should be happy the Westport Ct. police dept were so safety-conscious!:D
I hope your kids like those rifles....fifty years from now when they're our age they could still be using them! I still have my father's Remington 550-1 .22 rifle, his Browning Auto-5 and his M-1 Carbine and treasure them much!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yep, good call.

These should be back in stock shortly, get on the notification list if you want a couple.

They are well made and very reasonable compared to Aimpoints.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Tommy it is a S&W AR clone in .22 rimfire. There are several variants, but the S&W is as close as it can be to the real thing.

I like it as a plinker and have a good scope on it, but have also used it to run drills normally done with 5.56. The manual of arms is the same and you can shoot lots more.

If you compare the cost of the S&W with a conversion unit you can put on your lower it costs less and you have another gun.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
IrishCop,

SSSHHHHHHHHHHH! If ZERO and/or LYING ERIC HOLDER find out about the gifts they'll be trying to charge you with some new violation of our civil rights.

As for me, I say BRAVO.
(I still have the .22 Remington single-shot that my dad gave me when Iwas nine. = Money wouldn't buy it.)

yours, satx

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

Charlie, your comments about this rifle are what made me check them out in the first place. As usual, you were spot on. They seem like really well built guns. I can't wait to shoot...uhh, I mean till my grandsons get to shoot them. :D

Tommy, Charlie already answered your question, but thanks for your input on the legacies you from your Dad. I have the only gun that my father ever owned, a Sears bolt action 12 gauge. He gave it to me about a decade before he died. Wouldn't get rid of it for the world. And these M&P's are cool. I checked out a Colt they had on hand at Academy. $50 more, and the bolt hold op and release were just non-functional moldings. These S&W's even field strip like an AR. Heck they have threaded barrels with bird cage flash suppressors!

Walt, those red dots look interesting! The M&P's I bought are fully railed flat tops, and the BUIS type sights are removable. But I do want to get them fully comfortable with iron sights before I bump them up to optics. Kinda like I taught all my kids how to drive with a standard transmission. :)

Special Ed, Tim, SW, appreciate your thumbs up.

My wife kinda choked when she heard the price for two of these out the door, but she went ahead and gave me the nod anyway. (God, I love that woman!) But it is nice that I can pull this up and show her "See, Honey! Charlie and Walt and Tim and all the other guys said I did good!" Not that I would throw you fellas under the bus or anything. ;):twisted:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
This Christmas... Paw Paw rules!

IC, you and your grandkids are going to have a lot of fun. Good times and special memories in the making.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts