Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right place for this post!

My wonderful wife let me get an early Fathers Day present... the above mentioned Sharps 1874 reproduction. The rifle is really quite beautiful, with nice wood grain and pretty well done color-case hardening. The wood to metal fit borders on excellent, and the bluing on the well polished octagon barrel is deep and satisfying.

Now for the down-side! (Guess there's always a down side!) These almost 56 year old eyes are having a hard time with the small notch (for 100 yards) rear sight. The rifle came with a barrel hooded front sight, which covers a tapered post with a rather large ball at the tip. The resulting sight picture is cluttered, to say the least.

I set up a couple of pieces of printer paper on a large piece of cardboard at 100 yards, and that damned ball covered the entire sheet of paper. I was able to get a few of groups, all under an inch, but they "floated" around that piece of paper. I was shooting off the bench with sandbags, and I used the double set triggers.

Anybody have any experience with the vernier or SOULE sights? How about the front sights? I see quite a few different ones offered (separately and in kits). I really like this rifle, and I think it has potential for some fun at the range. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Nice gun.

I tested a Shiloh Sharps with their gee whiz tang and front sights and thought it shot well. I've messes with some of the interchangeable aperture front sights on other guns and really like the round ones. Most sets come with several different sizes so you can usually find one that works with the target you use.

I see some guys at the club with your gun and almost all have some form of tang sight on them.

Secret load: 12.0 gr. Trail Boss, 405 cast...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Charlie! The damned thing is fun to shoot. Wouldn't want to tote it around in the woods for long, though. Pretty much a target rifle.

Gonna get a tang sight and a replacement for that god-awful tapered post/ball front sight.

Oh, and thanks for the secret recipe. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry!

It's the Sharps Sporting Standard. 32" octagon barrel, the previous owner changed out the standard front sight with a barrel sight with a tapered post topped by a ball.

This is a link to the Pedersoli website. It's the 13th (Uh-Oh!) one down. :)

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/?item=A ... 60&lang=en

·
Registered
641 Posts
I traded for the Pedersoli 'Quigley'. It is a beautiful rifle. Unfortunately, it is in 45-90 caliber. I have no cases or does and have never loaded black powder. Factory ammo is too expensive and in order to handload I would need to buy everything new. It has been on my mantle for a while and now I will sell it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drill Sergeant said:
I traded for the Pedersoli 'Quigley'. It is a beautiful rifle. Unfortunately, it is in 45-90 caliber. I have no cases or does and have never loaded black powder. Factory ammo is too expensive and in order to handload I would need to buy everything new. It has been on my mantle for a while and now I will sell it.
I understand. It's a shame to have a beautiful rifle and not be able to shoot it. I got mine partly because it was in the good ol' .45-70. In your shoes, I'd probably trade it off or sell it too.

I don't reload now. I did years back and really enjoyed it, but quit and sold off my old Rock Chucker when I saw I could buy manufactured ammo just about as cheap as reloading. (Boy, how times have changed!) I'm gonna start up again, though, and most likely with a single stage press. Old habits die hard!

Oh, and Charlie: Sorry, man. But they do have some pretty ones, don't they? :twisted:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Drill Sergeant said:
Can't you use .45-70 in a .45-90 rifle if need be? Like running .38SP in a .357 magnum?
I may be wrong -- and I would never do it without confirming, but I seem to recall it can be done.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have been on various websites asking that same question. The answer is yes, however unlike the .38/.357 scenario I have been advised that it is likely that ringing will most likely take place in the chamber. This would harm the value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts