Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the good Speir-Man's recommendation, I have registered here and submit this question.

At least twice, I've seen a Glock in .40 fail to fully eject on the first round out of a FMLDF magazine. Not quite a stovepipe because the round was jammed between the breechface and the barrel hood, but was horizontal. It also did not lock the slide up like the G-19 Phase 3 jams reported by Dean Speir on his web pages.

In testing just a month earlier, that pistol would not "limp wrist" jam with the same ammo until it was held barely tight enough to keep it from dropping from my hand.

Were there any changes to the Glock .40s ejectors? This one has all six parts of the early '90s "upgrade". How does one address this problem?

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts

Hard to diagnose from your description... it sounds like a form of the Phase 3 stoppage, yet you aver that it is not. Got a digital camera?

One "issue" is that Glock is forever making (mostly unannounced) parts changes to its product line… who knows what version extractor (a more likely suspect) or ejector you might have?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello. Yes, you are right. I keep hearing about last-round-failures-to-feed-with-JHP ammo in Glock 19's with the unannounced but "new" follower designated "2183." Not being much of a Glock shooter, I have no idea what the difference is other than it appears not to be too pleasing! This happens only with the 10-rnd magazines I'm told.

Best.

PS: Mr. Speir, I really appreciated your article on the Speer .38 Special ammunition that was referenced in another thread.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, the extractor is suspect because....

...the hook may fail to hold the case where the ejector can bump it?
...the hook may release the case too soon when the ejector bumps it? (several possible causes I can think of)
...what else???

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Stephen A. Camp said:
Mr. Speir, I really appreciated your article on the Speer .38 Special ammunition that was referenced in another thread.
Willikers, Mr. Camp… no need for such formality!

But thank you for the gracious words… peer approbation is always appreciated.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've checked out the extractor and it pivots okay--no hitches or tight spots. It also holds a loaded cartridge as long as you don't bump it. Kinda droopy, but I don't know how that's supposed to function.

Seems like there is a lot of clearance between the rear of the extractor hook and the front of the extractor rim.

Perhaps the fully-loaded magazine is resulting in excessive drag and the first round short-cycles? How could I check that?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Hey, Stephen Camp's here, from FNHipower.com! Good to see a familiar name! (I'm a newbie here myself.)

I wrote up a little shooting report of the Ciener .22 P35 conversion and posted it on FNHP, and Mr. Camp was kind enough to say some nice things about it, which made me feel good. :D

It also made me feel good when Mas Ayoob shot that gun back in May (first one he'd seen) and told me it had a nice trigger. I did the trigger in that one myself.

Maybe stuff like that's no big deal to you guys, but to a little nobody out here in Dickberg, it's a big deal. :)

Sorry to change the subject. Now back to your Glock problems.....

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I didn't directly address this yet, Dean, but it is a Phase III jam in that the ejection funcction malf'd (if I count the phases correctly--I *get bugged* with ambiguous terms like FTF, which could be a failure to fire, to feed, or fart, and FTE, which could refer to extraction or ejection...). It's the NYC G-19 locked-slide version of phase III jams which this is NOT.

It's a bit curious that when trying to induce the legendary "limp wrist" jam, I usually get either a smokestack or a Phase II failure to extract (leaving the fired case chambered and the striker re-cocked, which takes very little slide movement anyway). But these have happened at least twice during normal firing cycles, and always result in the top of the horizontal case being level with the barrel hood. It's hard to tell if the casemouth ding is from the case getting smashed where it lands, or from hitting the ejection port and getting bounced to its resting point... I may try to induce this one again this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
And speaking (sorta) of Hooterville…

The only time in my life I'd even been to a Hooters was in Orlando for SHOT, with Schmit and Cindy last year. It was okay, the food was decent (your basic carbs and cholesterol groups) and we had a cute li'l gal with oodles of personality serving us. (Even though I was with the Schmidbauers, who suggested the venue, I got a ration of grief about that for weeks afterward!).

Last night we went up to the Nassau Coliseum for the Sarah McLaughlin concert, on which tour m'daughter the celebrated Chef-a-go-go is cooking for Sarah and family, and arriving early, we went looking for a place to get a bite. Everything in the immediate vicinity was packed, so (at Jeanne's suggestion… I had carefully averted my eyes as we approached the place!) we went into the Hooters in East Meadow.

The food was exactly what we wanted… except for the "curly fries with cheese," which bite the big one!… and the beer on draught was cold, but I think we wound up with the only server in the entire chain who not only had no chest (I mean, this was take-up-a-collection-for-a-Wonder-Bra material!), but no personality, either!

It was kinda shocking, actually… or mebbe I just had heightened expectations after the Orlando experience, or mebbe it's the difference between Southern gals and Long Island princesses.

Great concert, BTW… one thing I haven't quite figured out, is why this woman (sexy, feminine and a terrific voice) has become such a sapphic icon. Half the women in the audience looked like they were taking a break from the LPGA Tour.

O, well…

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, I've checked the extractor function and it pivots just fine. It also extracts a loaded round and holds it loosely against the breechface as long as it's not bumped--droops a bit. Same for fired cases re-chambered. There is a touch of tension beween the extractor and the case, as the left side of the casehead does get pressed against the "sidewall" of the breechface cut.

Any more clues, folks??

·
Registered
45 Posts
just a question

i know im no gun expert, but i have a question, since the Glock pistols seem so prone to fail....why not just switch to a SIG, S&W Taures, Ruger, Springfiled...all make a semi-reincarnation of the Glock, but all seem to have minimal probles. just a thought.
JAG

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not a police officer, so I'm not 100% sure about this, but many departments are loathe to allow officers to carry a gun that they've purchased themselves. It cuts back on liability whenever there's a discharge, accidental, negligent, or intentional. The lawyers can't say that the department authorized a "evil" gun if the department went through a rigorous testing procedure AND issues those guns and those guns only to its officers.

So if you had just chosen a pistol or series of pistols for your officers, then that some officers wanted to switch from your fairly new, expensive purchase of these pistols to another, untested design, you'd want some very concrete proof or reason to change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts