Gunhub.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find any of the older threads on the Photon Freedom lights so I will start this one here:

For anyone who is interested in these little wonders I have a great testimonial! I gave my sister one a couple months back and she uses it at her work every night. Yesterday she left it clipped to her shirt and her boyfriend mistakenly put it through the washer AND DRYER! This morning she emailed to tell me she used it again last night with no problems.

I can't say enough about them. Get one, you won't be disappointed. (Thanks to Dean and Fernando and the rest of the guys who went to SHOT for telling me about them!)

Ed

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not just the wash but the DRYER! That's that part that amazes me.

Ed

I use mine to read in bed. I clip it to a baseball type cap so I can read while my wife snores.. er, sleeps.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Yeah sorry, I meant wash as in "doing the wash," implying that it's also put through the drying phase. Sorry, that's the Noo Yawker in me.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
That's an excellent testimonial! The Freedom lights have become my favorite alternative light source. Many times I've forgotten to take the Streamlight or Surefire with me but the LRI is always there.

Dean did a great review on them for anyone that's interested.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I got one on my keychain... After like 2 years, of frequent use every night, time to go get a new battery for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tend to be a bit of an insomniac. I can sleep in the daytime it's that nighttime stuff that gets me...

Anyway I read anywhere from 2-4 hours a night with one of those lights so I have to replace the bat-trees every couple weeks. Still better than the drawer full of iddy biddy junk lights I got from Borders, and whereever...

Ed

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've been using a Photon Microlight as mentioned in my first post in this thread.
The Freedom model is different... Much better. The little clip is a godsend. Magnetic so it can stick anywhere... good strong clip can hold anything that can fit in the jaws. You can position the light any any angle.
Clips to books... Bronco roofs and body pannels. This thing is a must have item for your tool box. I can see being under a hood at night, and this thing being a life saver.

Best use of LED Technology yet.
2 Thumbs Up.

Saturday I made a trip out to SLC to pick up a Jeep engine. The trip out there was both a miserable failure and a success. I didn’t get the engine for the jeep, which was the whole point of going out there… instead I bumped into Robin Peng, founder of Design Engine.

I was in the parking lot reading a book and waiting for the owner of the engine to show up. I was using my little Photon Freedom microlight and he was curious as to what the little light was. (on top of what the hell I was doing in his parking lot at 11:00PM on a Saturday night. Well, we starting talking and he gave me a tour of his idea factory. His is the only joint in Utah that has some really slick cutting edge technology called SensAble. This is a 3D digital modeling tool that uses touch… meaning you can feel the model you are working on. After using the 25,000 device myself, I can’t explain it… but I’ll try. Using a stylus rigged with a force-feedback system you can literally feel the 3D model as you create and manipulate it. Combine this technology with the rapid prototyping technology and you have something drastically cool. Cutting edge stuff. Not only is it cool, but Robin the guy that can make use of it. He worked for Ford and Nissan designing cars and now has his own firm here in Utah and his only limit is his own imagination.

Thanks Fernando!

:D

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Mebbe we need to resuscitate that Ray-O-Vac ("…saved my life when I fell into a deep pit in the woods!") adv. campaign from 50+ years back, and trot it out for the Photon folks…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts