Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While there's room for misinterpretation of this thread header, all it means is that Consigliori Rob and the Maintainer are headed to Western Pennsylvania this weekend for the NRA Convention to see what we shall seem and perhaps to toss some tea and the more obnoxious "Winning Teamers" into the Monongahela River.

I'll have my Road Warrior laptop with me for the first time, so we may be able to post photos and a report while there.

Anyone else gonna be 'round the Hall?

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, that can best be described as a whirlwind trip, with significant fanny fatigue from U.S. 80! Sucker's endless!

But with Rob spelling me at the wheel on the way out (and doing the navigational chores the entire way), we raised Pittsburgh in under nine hours… weather was great! sunny and in the mid-70°s… and immediately hit the floor of the main exhibit area. Saw a lotta people I know in the industry… most of whom had been at SHOT, and got Rob introduced to some chemicals contacts for his next metals testing exercise.

Then 'bout a half hour before they threw us all out, we hear a screeching "Deeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaannnn!" and there was Bane and his crew (but not the Amazonian protective detail, sad to relate)… in my frantic final day preparations to get outta here, I missed his post that he was gonna be there, so that was a nice surprise.

Unfortunately he had sold out and accepted a dinner invite that evening from a former Editor who'd also sold out and gone with a gun company some years ago, so ultimately Rob and I were left to our own devices… a couple of swells loose in Steeltown for the evening, looking for Jennifer Beals and the Flashdancing bar… we settled for a excellent ribs joint with $2.00 Yuengling on tap, some great draught hard cider, and lotsa large screen TVs on which to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Hit the Convention Center for the Members' meeting, which was most interesting… while several of the speakers helped me catch up on some ZZZs (literally), and ILA Executive Director Chris Cox has got a lot to learn, President Kayne Robinson was pretty good, and that cute-as-a-button pint-sized dynamo 1st V.P. Sandy Fromen was sensational! Someone else who was most effective, and affecting, was the meeting's oldest Life Member (fourth year running!), 98-year-old Claude from Wisconsin, and the guy looks like he could go on forever.

Sad news, though… a good friend of Sam's and mine, Jim Nicholson, one of the original dotcom SSBBers, failed in his re-election bid to the Board, probably because of his outspoken condemnation of one of his fellow Texan "Winning Teamers," Sue King. But Rob and I caught up with Jim right after we'd voted for him as the 76th Director, the one-year term "Director at Large," and he was all right with the results, and told us that the guy who was going to win that seat (Dailey, I think his name is) was a good man and deserving of election.

I took some photos… including ones of a new Sturm Ruger (CeePee… got to visit some with Chris Killoy… there's a regular S&W Foreign Legion there, it seems) compact, the P345: nice size, much slimmer than any other P-series guns, and the same if not worse horrendous DA trigger! Also snapped one of the Springfield XD in .45 G.A.P.! Proof positive!

Also got one of one of the numerous signs all over the place advising that anyone attending last evening's banquet to hear Cheney speak would be passing though a magnetometer!

More later, and undoubtedly from both Rob (who's now determined to attend SHOT '05 in Las Vegas 28-31 January) and Bane, as well!

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Dean said:
Sad news, though… a good friend of Sam's and mine, Jim Nicholson, one of the original dotcom SSBB ers, failed in his re-election bid to the Board, probably because of his outspoken condemnation of one of his fellow Texan "Winning Teamers," Sue King. But Rob and I caught up with Jim right after we'd voted for him as the 76th Director, the one-year term "Director at Large," and he was all right with the results, and told us that the guy who was going to win that seat (Dailey, I think his name is) was a good man and deserving of election.
A lot of things may have gone into this loss starting with the big name slate that Jim was running with/against. Then there's Jim N asking Jim Baker the day of Baker's sudden resignation at the convention 2 years back after Jim N asked about the boondoggle out in California. http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/nraila-v-rkba.html

Then there's the long running problem of Mike Haas, CA, with all us Texicans. Haas is the guy who filmed the Kayne Robinson video that Mike sold to HCI then sold a copy to HCI inadvertantly.

And Jim's become less than loved by our own TSRA board for his very pro-active work for CHL and improving legislation. The best that can be said about the last two boards is they are "duck hunters" similar to the Dansforth Six.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then there's the long running problem of Mike Haas, CA, with all us Texicans. Haas is the guy who filmed the Kayne Robinson video that Mike sold to HCI then sold a copy to HCI inadvertantly.
Kayne had a great response to all that crud… finally!

He said: "Sure, I said that… and why not?!? HCI had had an office in The White House for eight years… she even had a special pass to The Rose Garden!"

Jim Nicholson is a good man… we may not always see eye-to-eye, but he's a stand-up person (that's us Easterners' version of your "He'll do to ride the river with!") and he speaks his mind.

·
Registered
656 Posts
DeanSpeir said:
Jim Nicholson is a good man… we may not always see eye-to-eye, but he's a stand-up person (that's us Easterners' version of your "He'll do to ride the river with!") and he speaks his mind.
Ditto, I enjoyed the time I spent with him at Shot in Dallas.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Dean's summary is a good one. My two cents follow.

Ruger made a good effort at a compact pistol, but how they could put out on the floor of the NRA show something with that bad a trigger pull is beyond me.

A private collector had on display a simply outstanding collection of historic K-frame S&W revolvers, including two complete Air Crewman revolvers. Having seen the many hideous new offerings at the S&W display, I wanted to frog-march the current S&W executives over to the collection and force them to stare at it and repeat aloud, "This is what a revolver should look like."

Bane is, as they say, "a hoot."

And as for Dean, he can't walk 10 feet without meeting somebody he knows &/or who knows him. I am grateful to Dean for introducing (and reintroducing) me to all of them. And after spending 16+ hours in Dean's War Wagon (split by 24 hours --almost to the minute-- in The Burgh), I think Dean may be the successor to Jean Shepard. One particular story stretched from Wilkes Barre to Parsippany. The man is truly a raconteur and fountain of information on the gun biz, cinema, sports trivia, and the golden age of radio.

I have informed my wife that I must attend SHOT 2005. She informed me back that she intends to come to Vegas with me.

As for the NRA, well, let's just say that The Winning Team has things firmly in hand.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rob said:
I have informed my wife that I must attend SHOT 2005. She informed me back that she intends to come to Vegas with me.
I have the most curious coincidence to report… at a belated birthday dinner for Jeanne last evening, I cautiously broached the subject of Las Vegas and SHOT with a "good news" gambit: "the dates next year are not anywhere near St. Valentine's Day…."

Before I knew it, she was saying things like, "Yeah, I know it's a working trip for you, but I'm sure Josette and I can find some things to amuse us while you and Rob pound the aisles."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dean, tell Jeannie I send belated birthday wishes.

I know she can find many entertaining venues to explore.

"You go girl !"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts