Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the quality of some of these is, shall we say, questionable, but I personally think that shows like Top Gun, Sons of Guns, the various shows on the Military Channel, even the replaying of Guns of the World every weekday afternoon, not to mention the shows on the Sportsman Channel and the
Outdoor Channel are a good thing for the gun culture.

I can't ever remember there being so many firearm centric shows on the airwaves. I suppose the fact that producers are scrambling for new ideas to feed the 240 channel 24/7 market. But the fact that these shows are successful, that they are apparently making money since they are getting renewed, means a goodly number of folks are watching them.

With those kind of numbers, surely we are reaching and maybe converting some former anti gunners, or at least bringing some uncommitted souls into our camp.

Have some cawfee and tawk amongst youahselves. It's Cawfee Tawk. :) (apologies to Mike Meyers and Saturday Night Live...back when it was funny)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Top Shot must have been successful/lucrative for the Hitler Channel, they didn't wait a full year to start the next season after the last one. Looks like it's a little cold where they're shooting this time, too.

Haven't picked my favorite yet this year (after three episodes), nor any overt villians. So far it looks like the right three people have gone home, though, although I have NO idea how "Mike the Shotgun Guy" dodged the bullet last week and didn't have to go to eliminations after shooting so badly. He seemed like an obvious pick to me. :dunno:

·
Registered
795 Posts
The public attitude towards guns began changing in 1994 after the congress that passed the AWB got tossed out. Al Gore's anti gun politics were a factor in his loss in 2000, he failed to carry his home state of Tennessee. Thirty-nine states now have shall issue concealed carry laws and the streets have not turned into shooting galleries. The most shrill anti gun celebrities have faded into irrelevance. Advertisers recognize a market and a favorable political climate makes these shows viable.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Top Shot must have been successful/lucrative for the Hitler Channel, they didn't wait a full year to start the next season after the last one. Looks like it's a little cold where they're shooting this time, too.

Haven't picked my favorite yet this year (after three episodes), nor any overt villians. So far it looks like the right three people have gone home, though, although I have NO idea how "Mike the Shotgun Guy" dodged the bullet last week and didn't have to go to eliminations after shooting so badly. He seemed like an obvious pick to me. :dunno:
You and me both. I could have sworn I heard "The Shotgun Guy" say he hit "5 out of 10" when they were discussing who should go home. If he did, I didn't see it.

I thought it was pretty cool that Cliff whipped Mr. "I carry a Glock every day/Tactical Handgun Instructor's" ASS on the Challenge match. 'Course Cliff DID beat Jerry Miculeck in the 2010 USPSA Revolver Championship.:)

I don't know about "villian", but Mr. Navy Seal (I wonder if they vet these guys?) does get on my nerves.

I watch "Sons of Guns", but it's feeling more and more scripted every episode.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I'm still bummed that Gunny Zins didn't win last time
I'm not. I thought the last episode was a storybook ending, and George became one of my personal heroes. I hope they'll eventually bring him back as one of the "guest coaches." ;)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The public attitude towards guns began changing in 1994 after the congress that passed the AWB got tossed out. Al Gore's anti gun politics were a factor in his loss in 2000, he failed to carry his home state of Tennessee. Thirty-nine states now have shall issue concealed carry laws and the streets have not turned into shooting galleries. The most shrill anti gun celebrities have faded into irrelevance. Advertisers recognize a market and a favorable political climate makes these shows viable.
I agree with everything you posted, Phantom. I just think that the sea change is much broader than even that. I think that there are a good percentage of non-gun folks watching these shows, which gives our side chance to, if not recruit converts, at least put them squarely on the side of the "guns ain't so bad" camp. And that would be a good thing. :smile:

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to all,

we cannot afford to get "comfortable"! =====> may i remind everyone that "the obama skunk" failed to allow the RE-importation of a million M1 Garands & M1 US Carbines, that would have gone straight into gun collections?

it comes down to this: the COST of failing to keep watch on the [email protected]#$%^& government is LOSS OF LIBERTY!

just my opinion.

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I watch "Sons of Guns", but it's feeling more and more scripted every episode

I got turned off with the show on the Thompson semi>F/A.One they walk in with a 16" barreled Thompson out of the case then you see the owner handing the machine shop guy the same rifle(supposably) with a 10" barrel.Second they have done the mods and are trying the rifle out and if I remember right the recoil spring took a beating?The owner states "were are we going to find a 50yr old spring?" a parapharse.I went "off GunBroker" not like the spring they had on that semi was 50yrs old anyway :rolleyes:

They butcher some decent stuff but back to the point these shows are making alittle of a dent possibily.The Russian Guy on youTube I think is creating more interest than these shows atleast with the younger generation.They were showing me his vids at work on there phones.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I watch "Sons of Guns", but it's feeling more and more scripted every episode

I got turned off with the show on the Thompson semi>F/A.One they walk in with a 16" barreled Thompson out of the case then you see the owner handing the machine shop guy the same rifle(supposably) with a 10" barrel.Second they have done the mods and are trying the rifle out and if I remember right the recoil spring took a beating?The owner states "were are we going to find a 50yr old spring?" a parapharse.I went "off GunBroker" not like the spring they had on that semi was 50yrs old anyway :rolleyes:

They butcher some decent stuff but back to the point these shows are making alittle of a dent possibily.The Russian Guy on youTube I think is creating more interest than these shows atleast with the younger generation.They were showing me his vids at work on there phones.
IIRC the recoil spring of the original Thompsons (which are not that hard to come by, gun parts places have them: I have one in fact) is very different than what is used on the semiautos. The semis use a striker like assembly (think Glock) and I believe they have dual recoil spring(s), as when they were designed the BATFE hounded them to alter the innards as much as possible.
As for it "taking a beating," well, yea but it was designed for it and the spring is plenty beefy enough to take it. Unless it just happens to be so old metal fatigue is two shots away from killing it ...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
While these shows are ok, I am mightily turned of by most of the killing (it's not hunting in a high fence reserve with feeders sometimes visible in the shots) shows masquerading as real adventures.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My 28 WHurley TG has a single recoil spring and is a semi now I would suspect that maybe the semi spring might be alittle lighter?I got a parts kit out Russia some time ago and I often have thought with about 5-8 hrs of work ??? Everything was almost identical it seemed but one have to alter the receiver to get the lower to slide that last 1' or so.The F/A recoil pin(?) up top need a part of the circle plate taken down to fit within the receiver(receiver ht. difference).The last thing was the bolt handle's location?? really do not remember.Anyway the only thing I am going to keep is the stock and brand new barrel and cut loose the rest.

I think you are right TG duel recoil spring pulled up a schematic and it started looking familiar maybe I am thinking when I fitted the F/A bolt :dontknow: been acouple of years since I opened her.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
You and me both. I could have sworn I heard "The Shotgun Guy" say he hit "5 out of 10" when they were discussing who should go home. If he did, I didn't see it.
You did hear it, and you didn't see it.

If the elimination selection is going to be performance based, Drew was not an appropriate choice. He was 1 of only 2 shooters to break 50% on the challenge. Cliff was the obvious choice, @ 2 of 10. Michael (Mr. Shotgun Guy) was the next lowest percentage shooter, with 4 of 15. He was whining that guys with poor performance were not stepping up, but his percentage was second lowest, this was supposed to be his event, and he had gotten pegged as the stand-out in practice. I didn't see him step up. Next lowest 2 were 3 of 10.

After the practice for the elimination, I fully expected Cliff to win. Drew's shots were low right, consistent with trigger jerk in a left handed shooter. Cliff clearly had better trigger control. Usually, trigger control and the ability to stay calm will win the elimination round. Certainly that was true of this elimination challenge. Anyone that has won a USPSA national match should have the ability to stay calm. Of course, a good revolver shooter usually has good trigger control, too.

I thought this elimination challenge was one of the best they've done. I'd modify it to use it on the finale.

Speaking of inappropriate choices for the elimination challenge, Sara and Dustin both did better in the AK challenge than Mike Hughes and whoever he was partnered with. Blue team led the whole way, until Hughes and his partner came to the line, and they allowed the red team to pass. Dustin fired 1 shot quickly. I think Sara took 2. Neither looked like they gave up an inordinate amount of time, and I don't think Dustin gave up any.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
"Modern Family" had shotgun shooting as a humorous, but cute part of a "Dude Ranch" experience in the season premiere....

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
"Modern Family" had shotgun shooting as a humorous, but cute part of a "Dude Ranch" experience in the season premiere....
I absolutely love Modern Family and was very glad to see that. Was cool to see the wimpy yuppie meterosexual son-in-law bust doubles, and it looked like maybe he really did it, too!:eek:

I think Cam might be my favorite character on TV at the moment. If he's not my very favorite, he's in the top five. What's great about him is that he is both the complete stereotypical gay (prissy, artsy, delicate, ultra-sensitive, etc.), and the complete opposite of the stereotypical gay (raised on a midwest farm, sports nut, played college football, shops at Costco, comfortable with guns, etc.). That character is magnificently written and acted.

Remember the scene in last year's Mother's Day episode where he knocked the guy off the bike in the park with a football? It had me on the floor. "HANDS, CAM! HANDS!" :D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re Top Shot, Navy Seal Jake blew a challenge using an Infinity race gun, was voted into the elimination round, got mad and QUIT...didn't even try, just up and took his ball and went home.

Thought Navy Seals didn't quit...

Personally, I couldn't be happier.

The young preacher from Texas, Dustin Ellermann, continues to impress me. Guess we'll see.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to all,

at 10AM today, we had a G&A TV show on here in SATX & there was a GEORGIOUS 1921 "commercial" TSG being fired on a range by one of the "editors". - the closeup shots made it look like FINE JEWELRY!

wishing that i HAD had that one.

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The latest is "American Gun". The episode I saw had the owner of a gun shop gathering stack after stack of money and then getting in Jet Ranger to go buy some guns.

It is out in CO somewhere and the chopper lands in a field where the rancher is waiting with horses because it is a tough walk up to the ranch house... probably 100 yd. away.

The rancher has a gorgeous mansion and a neat vault full of guns but the dealer picks out some rather ordinary Winchester lever actions, one neat one and an El Tigre which is says is worth a grand. Yee hah mine just went up.

Of course they have to go shoot them... nobody missess... and then the negotiation begins. The rancher starts high, the dealer low and after some tense bargaining they agree on a price in the middle. Bundles of cash change hands. Yawn.

Back in the chopper.... that's where I fell asleep...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts