Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's start a running list...

Everyone only gets to list one, and then tell why it's so great.

I'll start:

I nominate the Astra 300, 3000, 4000 Series. Yes, that's three pistols, but it's really the evolution of a single pistol.

Why is it great? Well, quality of manufacture is second to none, and you can easily swap from .32 to .380 with just a barrel swap.

It's small, has a great trigger, accurate and extremely reliable.

I mention this one because I know no one else will. Who's next?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
I mention this one because I know no one else will.
For the same reason, I'll go with the Beretta 70/71 series.

Pretty gun, reliable, shoots well, feels great in the hand. Doesn't have the DA feature of the Walther PP/PPK but the DA is so heavy on those guns it's pretty much useless anyway. AND the Beretta 70 doesn't (literally!) bite the hand that feeds it like the little Walthers do. Also much simpler lockwork than the Walthers, and simple is good!

What's not to like? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
(Assuming the thread excludes revolvers) Kel-Tec PF9; 7+1 9x19, light, flat, reasonable trigger. It's also inexpensive and backed up by Kel-Tec's unbeatable customer service.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
J-frame S & W - simple, reliable and if it fails to go bang, no TRB drill; normally you just pull the trigger again.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
Colt Combat Commander.
Somebody's got BIG pockets! :lol:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The King of pocket pistols from 1929 to the mid-1990's was the Walther PPK.
In revolvers, the Colt Detective Special and the S&W "J" frames.

Today there are a number of contenders, but at or very near the top are the Kahr autos.
Even just 15 years ago the idea of having a full power 9mm or even .40 cal pistol that size was science-fiction.
And, showing how good ideas are still good ideas, the top revolver is still the S&W "J" frame.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
(Assuming the thread excludes revolvers
This is MY corner and revolvers are totally included...

S&W Centenial
Well, Kevin did say "pistols"...
V
V
V
V
V
I think I'm gonna pay for that one :shocked:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
shep854 said:
V
V
V
V
V
I noted the "pistols" qualifier.

I also thought I'd misbehave... :)

Heading to the NRA museum tomorrow; I'm somewhat jazzed...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well, now that the spinners have been brought out, I have to bring up the S&W Bodyguards--the REAL ones, not the new Tupperware... :ek:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
All things considered, I would have to go back to my youth and name the Browning 1910 alloy frame from the 1960s.

The .380 ACP was 6" by 4" and had flush sights and a lack of protuberances. The thumb safety just blocked the grip safety, which was a bit stiff.

Should have had a locked breech, but was simple blow back.

In my youth there was a man who showed my how to shoot pistol with that gun, as a step up from my .38 Crossman Target revolver in CO2.

Geoff
Who notes it tough to find one in any condition under $600 US.
Who also suspects pocket pistols are a sneaky trick to get us to exercise more..

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shep854 said:
V
V
V
V
V
From Dictionary.com:
pis·tol? ?/?p?stl/ Show Spelled [pis-tl] Show IPA noun, verb, -toled, -tol·ing or ( especially British ) -tolled, -tol·ling.
-noun
1. a short firearm intended to be held and fired with one hand.

To be fair, in the gun press, a pistol usually excludes revolvers. Still, I'm not sure who declared that revolvers weren't pistols, because any handgun technically is a pistol. As for my original intent for this thread; it would include ALL pistols, even revolvers.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Kevin, that was really my understanding. The great thing about this forum is that "common sense" is truly common. :thumbsup:

I've seen at least one rather "warm" discussion about the exact definition of "pistol". I'm not uptight about it.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Snake45 said:

Pretty gun, reliable, shoots well, feels great in the hand. Doesn't have the DA feature of the Walther PP/PPK but the DA is so heavy on those guns it's pretty much useless anyway. AND the Beretta 70 doesn't (literally!) bite the hand that feeds it like the little Walthers do. Also much simpler lockwork than the Walthers, and simple is good!

I love them...

I'll also add one thing I think is HUGE, which is the fact that the Jaguar series was offered in .22lr as well as the centerfires .32 & .380 ACP's.

I also happen to be a fan of the goofy cross bolt safety and magazine release at the bottom edge of the grip. All in all, a very cool gun.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
Snake45 said:

I love them...

I'll also add one thing I think is HUGE, which is the fact that the Jaguar series was offered in .22lr as well as the centerfires .32 & .380 ACP's.
Mine's in .22LR, as are my PP and PPK.

I also happen to be a fan of the goofy cross bolt safety and magazine release at the bottom edge of the grip. All in all, a very cool gun.
The crossbolt safety is at the top of the grip on mine, IIRC. You can just push it in with your thumb.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Only one? Jeeze...

OK, I'll go with the AMT .45 Backup I always have in my pocket holster. It's tiny, but it carries a .45 ACP "big stick." It has always been reliable, as long as I rout out the pocket-lint every so often. Yes, I know it came with a lousy trigger pull, but I fixed a lot of that with some judicious polishing. Yes, I know that it only has a "guttersnipe" sight setup, but it works for me.

(If I could name two, I'd add the Semmerling LM-4. It's delicate and not terribly reliable, but it does bang out big, .45 slugs. Most important, the design is both unique and a pretty good conceptual solution to the powerful-but-miniature problem.)

Like a few others of you, I have always objected to the modern misuse of the word "pistol." I continue to maintain that it is a generic term, just like "rifle," and that's how I use it. The genus "pistol" is divided into, among others, the species "manually-operated," "revolver," and "semi-automatic."

·
Registered
83 Posts
Years ago, I bought a new S&W 649 stainless Bodyguard in .38 Special. I fitted it with a Barami "Hip-Grip", and carried it for years, holsterless. As the years passed, I experimented with many other carry guns... bigger, smaller, lighter, more powerful, yadda yadda yadda. I don't ever want to know how much I've spent on carry guns. From a full size steel 1911 to a Beretta 21A.

Out of nostalgia, about a week ago I busted out the old Bodyguard. Carried it all this week. As it turns out... I might have gotten it right way back then. The thing is effortless to carry, dead reliable, easy to shoot, and accurate. The SA trigger pull is so light it might as well be a target revolver. It disappears into the small armrest cubbyhole in my car. It is as simple as a machine can be, offers GREAT weapon retention, needs no holster, and best of all- it was paid for long ago.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts