Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find any information on the Smith & Wesson and Walther P-99 polymar handguns.
I want to purchase my first new polymar framed pistol, in either 9mm or .45ACP.
The Glock model 21 in .45 ACP really impresses me with it's handling and features.
But I have read about Glock failures of their pistols, KB's I mean.
I never use reloaded ammo, and stay with factory ammo only.
I own two Springfield 45ACP 1911-A1's, a CZ-75B in 9mm.
Has anyone here had experience with the Smith/Walther's, and the Glock 21?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I think Charlie is pretty familiar with the P99's. And lots of people should be able to chime in on the Glock line

Have you looked at the S&W XD line?.

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
S&W XD line?.
??? Durn and all this time I thoubght I knew what was going on at S&W.

I am intimately familiar with the XD, P-99 and Sigma pistols and far more familiar than I'd like to be with Glocks.

The Sigmas are only available in 9mm and .40. Springfield is putting on a big push with the 45 GAP and ther is an SW-99 in .45 ACP.

Tell me what you'd like to know and I'll try to help.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
S&W copied the Glock and the Walther... why not the Springfield too?

(kidding... just ribbing any Smith fan)

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Whoa, Ogre ----

Big big big difference there.

S&W did copy the Glock when they came up with the Sigma and Glock even sued S&W over it.

S&W signed an agreement whereby S&W through a lic. agreement with Walther produces in the US Walther's weapons and Walther's USA offices are at S&W (note the same address for both in Springfield MA.

Since we both have XD's you know that it is a Croatian copy of the Glock that has a grip safety. They were imported in small numbers then Springfield stepped in and licensed the gun for their distribution. XD's are still manufactured in Croatia (at least the slide still has the Croatia markings)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Mike I believe the SW99 frames are still made in Germany, but the rest of it is made here.

S&W does have a licensing agreement and is the exclusive U.S. distributor.

The stainless PPk/s is now made at S&W's Holton, ME plant but I think the SW99 parts are made in Springfield.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
CP--

Thanks for the clarification --- but my original intent remains that there is a BIG difference between the Glock/Sigma scenario and the SW99/P99.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Trivia: On the flip side, Walther gets to market a K or L-Frame revolver (I can't remember which) under the Walther banner. It is known as the R99. Besides the name change, the revolver wears modular stocks similiar in appearance to the P99's frame.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I know... just pushin buttons and teasing a bit.
The SW-99 is actually a good peice. I just still don't like where Walther designed the decocker. Very out of place.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Arover2,
I used to own a P99 in 9mm and was very happy with it.
I don't know if it was my imagination, but I was able to shoot tighter groups with it than I could a friends S&W 99. (I seem to be able to fake myself out with cheap wine and 7-11 coffee, too.)
I traded it for the same gun in 40 S&W and still have it.
The only issue I have with the 99s is the slide lock lever. I have to be very conscious of where I keep my right thumb or I would accidentally lock the slide back.
I'd listen to Charlie on the S&W version. Except for the new stealth S&W XP line, he is very knowledgeable on all things S&W. My experience is more with the Walther.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a Walter P99 (40 Cal) all German marks. With my size hands I cant fire the gun with the smallest grips installed. My thumb keeps my trigger finger from pulling the trigger all the way back.

Out of the 700 rounds so far, not one problem. the decocker does take some use to , but its the only pistol I own with one so it not much of a problem. I just use my weak hand or strong hand thumb.

If I had to list a draw back. the mag dump, i have to use my middle finger to drop the mag. I am to use to the 1911 mag dump.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a G 21, the original frame design. It is not 100 percent realiable. I have had two failures to feed in about 300 rounds. Both were with factory ammo, the Rem +P 185 JHP. I have owned Glock Model 17,19,26,21,20 and 23 and they all jammed. I have also owned SW 4506,5946,1066,3913 and a Beretta 92F and have never had a failure to feed,fire and extract. I personally know three NYPD officers who have had Glock 19s jam with 115 grain Win ball in gunfights. Glocks suck. Why is it always that when a Glock jams it is blamed on the shooter for limp wristing ? But Smiths never seem to have this problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you looked at the HK USP 45? Nice gun. They are getting a little pricey though :( . During a week long traning stint, I decided to not clean the weapon for a couple of days out of curiosity to see if it would affect the performance. I found it to be flawless. I would imagine that you could drag that gun through the mud and keep on firing without missing a beat. I also have carried on duty a Colt 1911 NM and during training have found the slide to bind up quickly due to the tight tolerances of the slide. The NM is a very accurate gun, but I will give up a little accuracy for reliabilty any day. The shooter gives up far more accuracy do to stress than his equipment will.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have had several polymar guns, but I am not a fan of them. I have shot Glocks didn't like the feel of them. The styer m40 was ok, very comfortable, but didn't like the sights. I bought a Walther when they were sold by Walther. I kept having it double fire, but wasn't sure if it was the pistol or me as the trigger was different. Sent it to SW they said it was me. Couple weeks later I was shooting it and it went full auto. Sent it to SW they fixed it. This was a problem with the gun not the design. Where I did have issues was the trigger pull. Even on single action I felt if I had to squeeze forever and a day and then finally it fired. The trigger pull was just too long. If they corrected that then I will have a different story as I liked other then that.

Regards
Martin

·
Registered
346 Posts
Red,
I am no longer familiar with all the trigger configurations available on the P99, but mine is terrific.
There are actually 3 variations on my gun - a very long and firm double action, a very crisp, fairly light and clean single action ( with really short reset) and a weird thing in between.
On the in between, the trigger pull is long but light, something goes click, then becomes the very nice SA.
The SA on mine is a nice as they come. Mine was a store demo so was broken in by the time I bought.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Maybe it was just mine I don't know.

I did shoot the Springfield XD today and wow what a nice feeling pistol. The grip was nice and so was the balance. The trigger was real nice too. It has a 2 stage triger and the final squeeze was light and crisp. I was able to hit the bull everytime except two when I yanked the trigger instead of squeezing it.

Martin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts