Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'd dearly love to hear the tech rep's explanation of that...

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
So clearly polymer has it’s disadvantages as well. I can say with confidence that I’ve never seen that before. I’d love to know more around the circumstances. That seems a quite unlikely scenario. Given the description, you’d think that a polymer would be ideal for such a circumstance. Should have flexed and bounced back. I wonder if the frame had been subjected to something weird or unique.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The report is saying that the expandable baton positioned behind the holster acted as some kind of fulcrum, facilitating this break, right?

I wonder at what kind of speed (and height and angle) the fall had to be to physically enable that?

And what kind of damage did it do to the poor cop?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I'm sure you can occasionally get bad castings in plastic just as in metal.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The report is saying that the expandable baton positioned behind the holster acted as some kind of fulcrum, facilitating this break, right?
If he had the baton located under the pistol grip to act as a fulcrum, that's really poor positioning with a high probability of interfering with the grip on the pistol or causing confusion about what he's grabbing.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
SpecialED,

DING, DING, DING! - SpecialEd has the WINNING ANSWER!

also, that's why i will NOT have a "plastic [email protected]#$%^!" in my house/holster. = when plastic FAILS, it fails SPECTACULARLY. ======> fwiw, i "mess about with" fiberglassics, i.e., fiberglass boats which have kevlar/dacron/rayon/glass rod/etc "re-inforcements" AND they ALL, (EVEN WHEN HAND-LAID-UP & 1" THICK) under the right/wrong circumstance, will FAIL & just MAY cost you your LIFE.
(some of the fiberglass/plastic/polymer/kevlar/glass rod composites are THEORETICALLY 3-4 times as strong as STEEL, BUT under certain circumstances, those composites WILL ALL FAIL.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I'm sure you can occasionally get bad castings in plastic just as in metal.
Let's look at the rest of the comment. There's a whole pot load of pistols with cast frames (not to mention other parts) these days, regardless of material.

I know of one department that has several Sigs with bent frames from being dropped. Impact was at the rear of the slide, bending the frame rails and locking the slide in place, cartridge in chamber. Yes, the drop was more than 3 feet-or 6 feet. No, they didn't break, but they're also no longer operable.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Was the mag in the gun? It seems to me that the magazine would have supported the grip or have been twisted badly out of shape by the forces that supposedly broke the grip.
Plastic (well, polymer) should have flexed instead of snapping clean...what did they do? Freeze it somehow?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts