Gun Hub Forums banner

Australian or Portugese Surplus? What do you like best?

• I think the Aussie is the best.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I vote for the Portugese ammo.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is better? I only have experience with the Aussie stuff , which has been very good. I even had the good fortune to get an entire case of Boxer primed stuff (one of six). I just noticed that http://www.ammunitionstore.com got a new batch of Portugese, and it looks like the price is good. I'd like to hear some feedback from you guys...Is the Port good enough to stock up on as well? Please share your experience.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In my rifles, all M1A's, the Aussie shoots a little better. Not much, but just a little. If you can get Port for a good price, get it and you will not be disapointed.

Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
I get slightly better accuracy with the Aussie, too.

'Course if Port was significantly cheaper...

·
Registered
558 Posts
My rifles have always like the BF 79 Port over the '83 vintage Aussie. Port seems a bit hotter and more accurate. But my range does not like steel jacket/core ammo so I have to hide it when magnet patrol comes around, but Aussie is copper/lead so it is better in that point.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I said port for the poll.. but I'm refeering to the port ammo I use to get back in the late 80's. it had the FNM and a early 80's date. But the BEST I have ever shot was the actual Belgium NATO M80. Can't find any of it now :-(

·
Registered
559 Posts
PORT OR AUSSIE

Never tried Portugese.

No reason to. It's 10 to 20 years older than the Aussie, more expensive, and in all three of my rifles, I can get 1-1/2" groups with it. So why change as long as it's available? :)

BTW, I think Outdoor Marksman has had the best price on it @ $129.95 for 800 rounds.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: PORT OR AUSSIE

TUSCAN SON said:
Never tried Portugese.

No reason to. It's 10 to 20 years older than the Aussie, more expensive, and in all three of my rifles, I can get 1-1/2" groups with it. So why change as long as it's available? :)

BTW, I think Outdoor Marksman has had the best price on it @ $129.95 for 800 rounds.
Port more expensive?!?!? its $139-$149 (avg)for 1000 rnds! aussie is that price or MORE for 800 rnds!

but yeah the $129 price is sweet for aussie

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I voted Port, but with some reservations. The only Aussie I've tried is the lot of AFF 11-4-89. Its good ammo, but I don't know how consistant it is from lot to lot. I've shot a lot more Port from different lots, and there seems to be a pretty big diference from lot to lot. Some, like the lot that Trung Si has, doesn't shoot as nice as the lot of AFF that I have, while others shoot better. Also, the AFF seemed to shoot a bit better in my old 1:11 six groove than in my new 1:10 six groove. I'd speculate that the slower twist is better for the lighter bullet of the Aussie, but Trung Si's 1:10 Krieger shoots the Aussie like a house on fire.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
My M1a will not shoot the Aussie very well.

It shoots the Port better than any surplus I have tried with the SA coming up second.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aussie or Port.

Just recently I was able to pick up the 800rd. crate of Aussie for $125. I cant remember where but I can find out if anyone is interested! The production date was Christmas day 1990 which I considered unique! So far I have gone through around 350rds and no problems!. I was drawn to the Indian crap because who wouln't be for 1000rds for $100 but everyone I asked said stay away! I have shot some Portugese out of my friends G3 and the rounds shot pretty well but I have seen the Aussie for cheaper prices. Aussie!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not to hijack, but what about Lake City?
M80 Ball for 100 bucks for 500 rounds.
A little more expensive, but not that much more, really...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I vote Port. over Aussie. Although the Aussie is good stuff and is my second choice to Portuguese.

I have simply seen the Port. shoot the best and most consistently from
every M-1A I own, every M-1A I have seen my friends shoot and even
my .308 Garand. Very little variation at all from lot to lot. I've been shooting thousands of rounds of it for the past three or more years.

Aussie runs a close, splitting hairs close second to Portuguese.

For short range shooting: 100 to 200 yards max. Port is actually SUPERIOR to expensive match ammo. After 200 yds, however, the Port
begins to get "iffier" and the match ammo shoots better.

I have not reloaded a single round of .308 for my SAs since Port has hit the market.

The Aussie is a little costlier, too and only gives you 800 rds to a case
instead of the even 1,000 in battle pack Portuguese NATO ammo that
is impervious to water while sealed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also, my best 5 shot group at 100 yds with Port. measured about 0.8"
from my Fred's cherry birch stocked, TRW bbld post ban M-1A. Of the five
shots: three were literally ripped into one ragged hole measuring about five eighths of an inch with the other two barely a qtr inch away, one on top of the other overlapped. Ammo was Portugese Lot 80-11.

This was from a bench with iron sights, no bedding, GI trigger, no national match parts other than the replacement front sight post being marked "NM 062" (the cheesy replacements with the thick, blurry markings) and a Fred's ventilated handguard he threw into my box because I ordered two stocks along with a solid handguard (and the granpa jack JFPO flyer !) :D

Along side me were two local CT police going through familiarization
with a Remington .308 police model 700 equipped with a Leupold Vari-XIII
and Federal Gold Medal match ammo. Their groups measured about an
inch and half with the scope - prone using a bipod.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also vote for the Port. I have 10.000 rounds on hand and only 800 of the Aussie. Throwing out a curve ball the Indonesian PT Pindad seems to do very well also, I am down to 860 rounds of it but I can not find anymore of it
Shadow :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts