Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this in S&W Forum, here for the Fish (a Halibut)
The following information was gathered by me, using Lyman Digital and Mechanical Trigger Pull Gauges. Average of at least five pulls.

S&W largest brand in my personal battery, except maybe Ruger if you count the long guns:

M&P 9c Model 1, 6.0 lbs.
Model 38, made in the 70s, DA 7.5 lbs. SA 2.9 lbs.
Model 3913 Ladysmith, DA 11 lbs. SA 5.8 lbs.
Model 638 after spring change with kit, DA 11.5 lbs. SA 3.7 lbs.
SW9 VE after spring kit, 6.6 lbs.
For giggles AR 15 Sport I, 5.9 lbs.

Colt Mk IV, Series 70, 4.5 lbs. built in 1972, trigger job to military minimum by S&W and Colt trained Armorer in the 1980s, very consistent over the last 35 years or so, was my Pin Gun, IPSC gun and everything else.

Glock G 19, Gen 5, MOS 5.7 lbs. Still breaking in the trigger.

Kahr P9094N, 6.74 lbs.

Ruger SP-101 .22 LR 6-shot, DA 12.5 lbs. SA 5.3 lbs.

Springfield M 1911A1, 4.5 lbs. See Colt above for details.

Taurus PT-22 Alloy Frame, DAO 8.3 lbs.

Walther Creed (discontinued) Pre-cocked Double Action: 4.0 lbs
Walther P-22 Military, 2005 production does not have hammer drop safety, does have magazine safety. DA 8.0 lbs. SA 4.0 lbs. (Very consistent pull to pull.)

So, anyone else retired, Beer fearing with a safe full and a pull gauge?

Geoff
Who hopes to gather more data.

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Thanks for this informative and interesting post, and for trying to keep this forum alive.

For some time now, I've been thinking of writing a feature article-length treatise on triggers and how to pull them.

I can shoot any trigger off a benchrest. But the worse a trigger is, the more stable your shooting position needs to be. One-hand "bullseye" pistol shooting calls for as light and crisp a trigger as you can get.

IMHO the perfect trigger pull is 3.0 pounds and breaks like the cliched glass rod, with no takeup and little if any perceived overtravel. Almost all my old-school S&W DA revolvers have just this in SA, my Colts are not quite as good but still very shootable. DAs on all of them is all over the place from sweet to just barely usable.

Worst triggers I own are the DA pulls on my Walther PP and PPK .22s. Probably somewhere around 15 pounds, and long, and a bit gritty/scratchy. I can't imagine trying to actually hit something farther than about 10 feet away pulling those triggers. Their SA pulls are very usable, though.

Absolutely strangest trigger I've ever pulled is on my beloved Mendoza 522 .22 air rifle. It must be on the high side of 15 pounds, but here's the thing: there is no movement whatsoever either before or after the break. You just keep pressing on it and pressing on it and eventually the thing fires. You might as well be pulling on the trigger guard Just about every break is a "surprise break." Took me about 100 rounds to figger out how to manage this thing. When you're aimed in, just start pressing harder and harder and faster and faster until it goes, and don't even think of letting up or pausing or stopping. I can usually get it done in under a second now. I don't think this trigger would be shootable at all on a handgun.

Reactions: TooTall

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ummmmmm, depending upon what you're about to do with the piece and if it's an auto loader, 3.0 lbs strikes me as excessively light. OTOH, Olympic free pistols have triggers in grams.

Again, depending upon use, some take up is a good thing. I once fired rifle with a set trigger I was told had a 4 oz pull. I do believe they were misinformed. About the time I'd feel the trigger, the rifle would fire. Some take up would have been an outstanding idea.. Nice to be aware you're on the trigger without being in immediate danger of an unexpected loud noise..

The two worst triggers I ever experienced were in a Systems Colt 1911 where you could see the hammer camming back as you heaved on the trigger.. The other was the DA trigger on a Colt revolver sent to us for T&E (Trooper?) in 1992. Had to be at least 16 lbs and came with a note that the sample had been specially prepared and production triggers wouldn't be as light. And they wondered why they visited bankruptcy court so often!

Reactions: TooTall
1 - 3 of 3 Posts