Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just contacted by Cabela's, with whom I have had an order in for primers for a year now. I had ordered 2K each of large & small rifle, large & small pistol, Winchester brand. I have received half of the order, the large pistol & large rifle. Yesterday Cabela's offered to fill the rest of the order with CCI small rifle and small pistol primers, due to uncertain delivery dates on the Winchester products. I told them that I wouldn't take a boxcar full of CCI primers as a gift (don't care for that crush-fit seating.) Told them that I would possibly consider Remingtons, but otherwise I would rather wait for the Winchesters than take any CCIs.

We'll see.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Me too... I use them all the time in both rifle and pistol types with no issues.

I'm wondering if you are thinking of stuff from the 70-80 time frame where CCI had a problem controlling the diameter of the cups. I don't know what "crush-fit seating" is otherwise.

If so you should try them now.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm..didn't know that CCI had corrected their problems. I just loaded up the last of mine in some new Starline .30 Luger brass. Some primers even dented, being squeezed in.

They were from the 60s or 70s. I never liked them because of the amount of pressure required to seat them. I especially didn't like them when I used to use a Lee hand primer, always afraid that I was going to have a ka-boom in my hands.

Well, at any rate, it is good to hear that they corrected their problems. But I still prefer WInchester or Remington. Once bitten, twice shy, you know.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I started out handloading in the '70s using CCI primers. They were hard to seat. I didn't know any better.

At some point in the '80s I tried Federal primers and they were SO much easier to seat! I loved them! Used nothing else for years!

When I got my Lee Progressive 1000 in the late '80s, the instructions specifically banned using Federal primers in it. I called the factory to ask why and got Mr. Lee himself on the phone. "You could experience serious injury or death," he explained, matter-of-factly. I forget what his reasoning was, but I was sufficiently impressed to try one of his recommended brands. I seem to recall giving CCIs another try and they worked much better at that point.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Hmmm..didn't know that CCI had corrected their problems.
Hmmm... maybe this is why I had my "forgiveness" topic

It is hard for me to imagine how a company... any company... could continue to do the same thing wrong for decades, and not at least try to fix it.

This business is not static. Things are changing all the time and no company- regardless of how perfect they may be- is going to ignore something that is going to cost them business.

I don't know enough about Lee stuff to know why they told you not to use Federal primers but I'd guess that the reason is the same as why PPC shooters preferred them. They are the most sensitive of all and would reliably go bang when nothing else would in revolvers with 6-7 lb. DA triggers.

At one time Dillon advised against the use of CCI primers because of difficulty with primer feeders. I don't think they do that anymore.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Lee currently has the following Primer Warning in the FAQ section of their website:

Use the correct primer. Do not force it. Primers should go in easy. Users have reported that the primers in the tray of an Auto Prime can explode for various reasons - some of which include a cocked primer, or an attempt to prime a case which has a primer already in place, or more than one primer on the punch, or priming a military case with the crimp not completely removed. Should an explosion occur, our tests have demonstrated that safety glasses will normally prevent serious injury to the user if the primer brand and quantity of primers are used. Other primers, especially FEDERAL, can explode with sufficient force to seriously injure the user, or persons nearby. We do not take any position with respect to the quality or performance of primers available on the market. However, ONLY those primers in the amounts listed are recommended for use in the Lee Auto-Prime, and when loading those primers, safety glasses must always be used. Never place more primers in the tray than the "amount" listed. For brands and quantities see the chart on the Auto Prime Instructions.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I used up the last of those oversized CCI primers loading up that .30 Luger brass, I also found 2 or 300 Federal primers. For some reason I had shoved them to the back of the cabinet and disregarded them. Perhaps I, too, had read the Lee instructions advising against using them. Can't remember now, but they must be getting on to be 30-35 years old.

I gave up with the hand priming tools. Had a Lee, had a Hornady. Gave them both away. Lots of times with the Lee Loader the primer would get half-seated, and then couldn't be forced in all the way (probably those CCIs. That and off-center primer pockets in some of that junky LC68 & 69 that we had back then were the main culprits.) Then you are stuck. And the Hornady tool...I used that about 2 minutes, and almost thought that I was on Candid Camera.

I have gone back to the old priming post on the press..no fuss, no muss, just perfectly seated primers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Felix:

About a week and a half ago I too got that same phone call from Cabelas about primers I ordered in April 09. I told them I've waited this long, I can wait longer. Well my 6000 small pistol primers are on thier way, expected delivery tomorrow. I'm glad I waited since I prefer Winchester's primers over all the others. Hopefully this whole shortage is coming to an end!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny you mentioned that one. My 2000 small pistol primers showed up yesterday. That only leaves the 2000 small rifle primers to show up to complete the order from about the same time as yours. I would rather wait and do without than use CCI.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I was talking with a friend from one of the big bullet makers and the subject of CCI primers came up. He was in my loading room and while I have primers from all the makers I use CCI in almost everything I shoot for fun.

He stated that he would not use them because they required too much force to seat. I said they didn't.

His response was that was because I used only mechanical primer seating- either on a progressive press or bench mounted priming tool. He only does hand priming with a Lee priming tool and says they are too hard to seat.

While it is surely true that my method(s) of priming offer more leverage it is hard for me to make the leap that CCI primers are bad.

·
Registered
743 Posts
At least in my house, there is no doubt that CCI primers take more force to seat than Winchester primers. Same house, Wolf primers are more difficult to seat than CCI. Ordinarily, I'd go with the flow and denounce them. However it seems to me that a certain High-Power guy bought several 100 thousand to compete with. If he thinks they're okay, who am I to argue? I think my 4 or 5 class wins 20 years ago are more than outweighed by any one of his National Championships. Now it very well could be that other brands are "better" than CCI, but it is not due to difficult seating.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
You're right about the Wolf primers needing more force to seat but I don't think that, by itself is automatically a bad thing.

I have loaded a thousand or so in large pistol with no gripes.

It is also true that they are the darling of the high power crowd. I bought some in both rifle sizes and if a project ever comes along where I can do a comparison I will.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently purchased a box of 1000 CCI #400 small rifle primers and found them without any seating problems in my LC 09 brass.I also purchased a box of 1000 Fed 205 small rifle primers and found them more difficult to seat than the CCI's in the same brass.Go figure??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts