Gunhub.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met this young woman a couple of years ago when I was clerking at a gun store. She thought she needed a gun, I thought she needed training.

Since then she has received a PhD. We (my wife and I) saw her recently in a non-gun related social setting. She was kind enough to remember my concern for her skill level (read: skill = safety).

We extended our short real chat with some e-mail. She sent me this:

"A friend/State PD officer loaned me a gun that he "thought" was working. I ended up shooting a bullet and sending the slide and the spring down the range. It makes you feel a bit badly when you are having to retrieve your slide with a push broom."

Honest. Direct quote from her e-mail.

She has hinted that she would like to go shooting sometime when I go out with friends.

What do I tell her?

Sign me "Perplexed in The Great Shenandoah Valley"

·
Registered
656 Posts
If it were me I would have my wife make arangements with her to meet at my local range and let her learn to shoot with some dependable firearms. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im a licensed counselor in my State. A such I have some staff members interns that I supervise. One a female, had her husband shipped off to Iraq.
So in the duration as a DFW resident,now single female parent, she approached me about a handgun for defense.
I helped her get an approprite model that fit her and what she liked and at Wholesale through a dealer friend of mine. I my wife and the inten all met several time to shoot at a local range. She attended the range several times after on her own.
I was at the range one day and had no idea she was coming to shoot. She showed up went to her bench and set up to shoot. All the men on the range staring at this female while she proceded t out shoot the majority of them.

I agree though,Youll wan to take your wife along wouldnt want any of the regulars at your shooting spot to assume or jump to conclusions?! :wink:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Retrieved her slide with a broom ...

It now appears we (my wife & I) will be seeing this young woman more frequently, as we are involved in a community group.

It also appears that the individual who lent her the handgun that fired its slide downrange was her husband. :shock:

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Hey Mike,

1) What manner of pistol was this (maybe her husband needs some training too)?

2) I usually suggest some sort of wheelgun to my female friends who inquire as to a carry piece.

Off for the final day of Camp Jeep - some very nice military rigs in the Jeep museum this year. A bit of off-roading in the Blue Ridge, then a concert by Michelle Branch, whoever that is.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure.

Obviously a semi-auto pistol, but I'm not sure what.

Normally I recommend wheel guns to _all_ new shooters, but she knew exactly what she thought she wanted. In general it is not useful for a salesperson to "sell off" a customer's desired product. The customer will go someplace else to get what they want.

I have been known to politely contradict dumb advice from a person who is with a customer. But, gotta do it very carefully, Usually it is some macho guy who is telling his wife/girlfriend/son/daughter to get a 44Mag or 10mm as their very first handgun. Even then, the only way I can even _talk_ with the customer is to try and get Mr. Macho distracted or sent off on an errand of some kind. Not too easy in a small store.

Sorry, I don't know who Michelle Branch is, either. Guess we aren't up to date here in the big city.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Michelle Branch turned out to be one fine gitfiddle player, with a voice to match. Did some stuff with Santana a couple of years back. I spent most of the weekend at the Jeep motor pool while Kathy and offspring did the other camp stuff. Judging from the busted steel I saw, nobody will be dissing the offroad trails this year :)
C\D's got a couple of vehicles in the pipeline that'll make some waves here shortly. My favorite is a little diesel that looks like a Liberty (which I hate) on steroids. Met some nice folks there too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts