Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last several months, this board has been absolutely deluged by spammers, mostly from China and the former Combloc nations. They used to get all the way through and post their junk on the board, screwing things up for everyone.

The way things are set up NOW, all new registrations have to be personally and individually approved by a mod or admin. Or rejected and deleted. This is a nasty, tedious, thankless job, and Special Ed has been doing yeoman service at it. Every time he does one, an email goes out to the other mods/admins, and we've been seeing 50 to 100 of them every single day for weeks now--for months.

Ed has saved us ALL a lot of grief on this board (if this weren't being done, no one would even want to come here anymore), and I just wanted to give him a great big public THANK YOU for the work he's done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Another forum on which I post has been deluged with this spam too. Thus I deeply appreciate Special Ed's work at keeping it from us.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
:thumbsup: :wink: I have noticed that the spam has gone away!

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TommyGunn said:
:thumbsup: :wink: I have noticed that the spam has gone away!
Several of us have worked on it. Before the new registration procedure was changed, I zapped quite a few of them that got through and posted--last time I took score, I think my kill count was around 25. But that absolutely pales in comparison to what Ed is accomplishing every single day, offing the bastards right in the womb before they ever get a chance to post. When you consider that every one of the automatic emails we mods get represents somewhere between 30 seconds and a minute's work or more on Ed's part (or somebody's), and we're getting 50 to 100 of them a day, every single day, you begin to appreciate just how much time he's putting in on this. :thumbsup:

And I can tell you that it is a tedious and tiresome task. I've done enough of them to know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you for doing what is normally a thankless job. And that is a shame, too. So often when a thing works well, we give it no thought. But it doesn't happen by accident, and I appreciate youir work, Ed and All.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Thank you, Ed. I'm very glad this board is still up and running. Through all the metamorphoses, these forums are beginning to push a decade old. God bless Ed, El Jefe and all the folks who make these forums go.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Thanks, Ed.
I just deleted 356 of the e-mails to which Snake refers. That's how many have accumulated since Tuesday @ 4PM EST... about 1 every 19 minutes.
It's easy to delete them 100 at a time. Ed deals with them 1 at time.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Never gave it a thought as to why there were no spam messages. Thanks Special Ed for doing such a wonderful job. :)

BobMac

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
We were having this problem and decided to simply kill anything that had a foreign dot Ru dot Whatever. It has helped. Our host worked with us and now pretty much anything that does not originate in the US is killed on sight.

Not sure if you do this. They also helped us target anything that came thru a known anonymizer and or the generic free email services got dumped into a review folder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts