Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on a radio newscast the other day that the army is doing away with push ups and sit ups because the recruits they are getting now are unable to do them. I find this really hard to believe. I haven't been able to confirm thas story. Has any one here heard anything about this?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
God, I can hear my old first shirt now, "Drop down and give me none!"

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What I recall reading is that the Army is de-emphasizing long-distance running, because it is not a war-fighting skill, and stepping up its emphasis on building the types of strength that are relevant in a fight. This makes me doubt that they are eliminating push-ups and sit-ups.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I read it they are going to drop them from the PT test.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This is going to be interesting. Note that PT will be geared towards unit missions... So, if your a tanker, you probably won't do road marches and if your a grunt, you will.

We had this back in the 50's or 60's for a while. Hard to implement.

Bearcat6, one thing that surprised me at Benning in 2008 was the emphasis on upper body strength. Lots of pull up bars and ropes. Lots of efforts towards flexibility and sprint speed, moving with your full battle rattle and several very nice gyms.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
...Kelly Schloesser, a spokeswoman for the Army's Training and Doctrine Command, said that the overall physical fitness of incoming recruits has been steadily worsening. In 2000, 4 percent of males and 12 percent of females were unable to pass a "1-1-1" test, which requires participants to complete one minute of push-ups, one minute of sit-ups and a one-mile run. By 2006, 22 percent of males and 40 percent of females were failing the same test...

...Hertling, who is himself tall and lean, has worked to find creative ways of slimming down incoming Army recruits. Basic training now includes more yoga and Pilates, as well as exercises inspired by CrossFit, the popular conditioning regimen....
Source

1 - 8 of 8 Posts