Gunhub.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to spend 5 grand on a real one, but I see a lot of 30 inch long 97s for under 500 on gunbroker and AA. How hard would it be to make a reproduction from a *real* winchester.

It would need to be cut down. Are heat shields/bayo lug attachements available? Swivels for the stock?

Anyone try this. It would be nice to have a real Winchester, albiet not a real govn M97.

·
Registered
914 Posts
IMA use to sell repro heat shields.......they still might. NORINCO makes a great copy of the 97 "trench gun" for less then you could put one together. I bought one a few years back and it shoots great, you can even "slam fire" the thing just like the original. the wood is a nice walnut. you can't go wrong buying one of these.

Link

here is mine........I bought the M1917 bayonet from either SOG or AIM, for very little money way under 100 bucks, and a repro M1907 leather sling, for like 20 bucks or so.

[IMG=left]http://www.hunt101.com/img/322861.jpg[/IMG]

G

·
0 Posts
I paid $550 for a decent original condition Model 97 made in 1918 a year ago and it would be a shame to cut something like that up to make a replica. The photo is of the serial numbers on the receiver on my 1932 gun (The last two digits of the SN have been masked). It was refinished sometime during its life and I use it to shoot trap.
Look for a gun that has already been cut down for cowboy shoots or otherwise modified or damaged. A mismatched serial number between the receiver and barrel mount is fairly common. Obvious signs of refinishing, dented, bent barrels, I've seen refinished guns with the serial numbers nearly buffed away.

The first place I would check for trench gun parts is Numrich aka Gun Parts Corp.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reason I even asked, is I have seen several "cut downs" on AA lately.

How does the heat shield attach? Does the barrel have to have a bead or something put on?

btw, I am looking at the Norinco...and it looks like a nice way to go...I still would like it to have Winchester on it. (and not pay 5 grand for it! :wink: )

What is the barrel length of the Norinco?

SF, nice looking replica. I need it to round out my ww2 collection! I have no experience shooting shotguns, but they are loud and blast the crap out of stuff...sounds fun. :lol:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Audie said:
How does the heat shield attach? Does the barrel have to have a bead or something put on?
the heat shield slides onto the barrel, and is "clamped" in place by tension with 3 screws.

What is the barrel length of the Norinco?
a little over 20 inches

SF, nice looking replica. I need it to round out my ww2 collection! I have no experience shooting shotguns, but they are loud and blast the crap out of stuff...sounds fun. :lol:
thanks.........that's why I bought mine, I collect military firearms, and their clones, but was lacking a military shotgun, and I just couldn't see paying 5 grand for a real "trench gun" or spening money on a used and abused old 97..........even with the WINCHESTER name on it, and then go through the whole modification thing to make it appear like a "trench gun". so when NORINCO came out with a brand new shotgun clone for less then a beat up old 1897 shotgun, I went and got it, and haven't regreated it.

ain't much to firing these things, "rack" it, and pull the trigger.........or just hold the trigger back and it will fire as fast as you can "rack" it..............you just have to be careful on where your place your shoot hand on the stock, if it's too far up on the neck of the stock, that bolt will put a nice slice on top of your thumb, but that will only happen once, and you are sure not to do that again. ;)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info here...after some research, if I pay 200 bucks for a beater winnie, I would probably put 500 more into it easy to replicate an M97. So I may just go the chicom.

I would be willing to pay big bucks for a minty riot M97, but I am guessing they are not that easy to find. :wink:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought a new Norinco 97T trench gun and it's been great. The quality is good and it functions just fine. Slam fire is a ball. I even tried it on the skeet field. Boy, did it cheese off the snooty O/U gun guys! The price on AA was less that $325. I was torn about buying a ChiCom gun, but then I took a walk thru the Mall and that I was not doing anything to stem the spread of God-less Communism, just denying myself a decent, low cost gun.
I am looking for a real '97, but couldn't see cutting up a decent original to make a clone. Like someone else mentioned, Numrich has a good selection of parts, but someone told me the magazine tube needs to be altered if you are using a take down model. Maybe someone can confirm that.
If you just want a fun shooter, save the money and get a copy.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with a Model 12 1942 riot gun instead. Only cost me 300 more, and It says Winchester on it.... :wink: won't be modifying it...it is too nice the way it is!

I really don't understand the chicom stuff...look around your house, you will be shocked at how much stuff is made in China.

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
FWIW, several years back, Gun Tests found that in their experience, the Norinco '97 was a better choice than the solid frame Winchester '97. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well, FWIW, I just picked up a '97TD riot gun, 1906 manufactur, that'll most likely be more of a collector item than an everyday shooter. I liked my ChiCom 97T so much I decided I wanted to see what a real one was like. I am still waiting for it to arrive, but the barrel pictures show wear marks where a heat shield was originally used. No GI proof marks visible on the metal, but a trace of a cartouche on the stock and a rear sling swivel is mounted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts