Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(NOTE--- I would definately be staying with friends too!! :shock: :shock: To me a good snake, is a DEAD snake unless it is behind 12" of glass at a zoo)

Mon Sep 27, 5:32 PM ET

BAY ST. LOUIS, Miss. - Baby come home. Keith Berg wants his 17-foot-long Burmese python back. Some tenants in his apartment complex and nearby neighbors are staying with friends or family until Baby comes home.

Berg said he called police for help when he discovered his 110-pound Burmese python missing on Thursday. The search continued Saturday.

Baby, an 11-year-old python, has lived with Keith Berg for about five years. He said the snake is docile and easy to handle. The snake ate sometime last week and should not be hungry again for another three weeks, he said.

For the rest of the story click HERE

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Mike, I haven't read the story yet, but as the owner of an eight foot Burmese python and one who has housed smaller American type snakes and one other very small species of python, I can well sympathize with whatever shock or even outrage is going on in people's minds regarding this latest escape. My snake may itself grow larger someday if it's a female and gets a properly sized house. But an eight foot Burmese python can also be dangerous, even to a fit, strong 200 pounder like myself. I can well understand the need for extreme caution if one decides to care for such an animal, since they should perhaps force people to get licenses for such a pet.

And having said that, although I hate to get involved discussing certain topics with people who have obviously made up their minds on an opposing point of view, and who will probably brook no rebuttal, I have to question this:

"To me a good snake, is a DEAD snake unless it is behind 12" of glass at a zoo"

Really? Just how badly do you want the farm rodent population to get in this country? Or how far would you like to see frog and toad populations multiply until they're out of control, as sometimes happens dow souf? I mean, even many of the most snake hating farmers learned a long time ago that beautiful, non-poisonous species of snakes like my dearly departed of old age corn snake are vital to a properly functioning ecosystem.

Next time you have a slice of bread or eat pancakes, remember, without corn snakes, yellow rat snakes, black rat snakes and it's dow souf cousin, the larger Indigo, and yes, even the poisonous species, etc., keeping the rats, mice, voles and many other things out of the grain, also aiding in many other ways, we'd be hard pressed to find solutions, except a lot more harsh chemicals in places they shouldn't be, like near children playing in the hayloft. Non-poisonous snakes can be beautiful, and except in the case of certain foreign species like the Burmese python, are completely harmless. Poisonous snakes can be even more beautiful, just as vital to our environment, and just need to be avoided.

Like all the good reptile people say, if you don't know what it is, just walk away. And as for Burmese pythons, within a year after buying mine on March 10, 1997, I realized that this had become an "all the rage" pet. I do not approve of this at all, even though I own one. They are not something you decide to own on a whim. They are a potentially giant snake in the case of the females and even a small one can kill a grown man.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bloofie ---

I don't mind snakes as long as I don't see em!! I know they do a good service, but the deal I made with god was that he keeps snakes away from me, and I don't shoot em!

That is one of the reasons I only hunt in the fall/winter -- no snakes. I don't go camping or hiking either for same reason.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
:D :D :D

Okay, okay, but just remember, the grain for your pancakes is protected by American rattlesnakes, coiled and ready, saying, . . .

"Don't Tread On Me."

ROTFLMAO!!!!

In truth, the grain for our pancakes probably comes from some giant agribusiness mill where chemicals that would kill most hippos are spread far and wide and where snakes fear to tread.

:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts