Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you gents see any problems with carrying Black-Talons as a carry load. I have three boxes of DP in 230 grain and, since I only care to send the very best, I may start using them.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
OH NOES! Isn't that that horrid round from the '90s that if you hit someone on his pinkie, it shreds his entire body like a cuisinart? :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :help: :poke: :shame: :shame:

[center:3pg4tggn]:neer: :neer: :neer:[/center:3pg4tggn]

[center:3pg4tggn]:mrgreen:[/center:3pg4tggn]

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes, I do. It's one more thing that can be used against you by an unscrupulous prosecutor or personal-injury attorney.

One of several red herrings dragged before the jury that heard the murder case of Hal fish, the retired school teacher who fatally shot a man who charged him, screaming death threats, on an Arizona hiking trail, was that Fish had used a handgun "more powerful than those carried by the police." Hiking in bear country Fish had been carrying a 10mm pistol.

Yes, your attorney can try to explain it to the jury but you will be paying him big bucks per hour to do so and, after several of these bogus issues pile up, jurors seem to believe that there must be some fire behind the prosecutor's smoke.

If you really believe this is the best round, how much would it cost you to buy three boxes of the newer stuff, labeled something like Ranger SXT? Let's face it - in .45 ACP, even the white-box Winchester USA JHP's sold at Wally World should work fine.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sir, is exactly why I posted the thread! I wanted some assessments from the pros. Reason I considered it is that I'm having trouble lately finding suitable carry ammo. all the Fed. Hydra-Shoks seem to have dried up here along with the Gold-dots and Golden-Sabers. I've got some Hornady XTP TAP but, it's new and in the limited water-jug tests I've done with it, it hasn't done very well.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I do too and besides you can sell it for an obscene profit to somebody who still believes the hype...

I also found that the white box JHP stuff ain't half bad

I've done a sh**load of testing of this stuff and there really is no clearly BEST load anymore. We've got a bunch of good ammo. I have a slight lean toward Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot but any of the major makers will have something that works.

And of course I need to repeat my favorite quote... "it doesn't matter what you shoot them with it's WHERE you shoot them that counts."

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you're looking for a "talon-like" load (actually, a good deal better), the Ranger SXT's are superb.

Palmetto State Armory usually has pretty good stockage of the Winchester Ranger line.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I'll rebox the talons and buy some SXTs to try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts