Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down and tweaked my '02 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup. I had to- my riding buddy has a Ducati ST4 and I was in serious danger of getting left behind far too often. I seem to have more midrange, so getting the jump on him by suprise isn't hard, but once he gets his revs up that thing flies. One minuite he's dropping well behind, and then all of a sudden my mirrors are full of Ducati red.

Now after the mods he might still have a better top end, but mine is much better than it was, and my midrange power is even better. All you really need in the real world of country back roads and 'suprise' farm vehicles (leaned over hard on a blind corner, the kind that tightens and makes mockery of your late apex entry, and Suprise! A full tobacco wagon towed by a tractor at the breakneck speed of 25mph is full in your face) is a fat midrange. It seems that around here there just isn't much unpatrolled straight road.

These are the mods, and for this bike the worked well. The shop guys at my local BMW were very impressed with the results, and the parts weren't at all difficult to fit if you have some mechanical skill. All I added was a Z-Tecnik exhaust, a Laser chip (the same ones the factory Boxer Cup Bikes use) and a San Jose BMW intake and K&N. The sound is much improved w/o being obnoxiously loud. I haven't dynoed it yet, and will post the results when I get around to doing it if anyone is interested.

Now, if I could just lose about 60 pounds of body fat, I might just catch that little bastard on his Ducati.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now, now, youngster..

You really are trouble, aren't you?

I was just hoping to stir up some discussion among the lurkers.
If you want to kick my ass in real life, you'll have to get a whole lot more practice than >3k miles.

So there, you pugnacious pipsqueak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Now, now, youngster..

Munenn
Psychotherapist in Residence

Munenn said:
You really are trouble, aren't you?

I was just hoping to stir up some discussion among the lurkers.
If you want to kick my ass in real life, you'll have to get a whole lot more practice than >3k miles.

So there, you pugnacious pipsqueak.
Learn to take a joke dude! You may try visiting with someone, by the hour, that is actually in practice and out of residency! :roll:

Fernando, I thought it was funny! :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apologies

Sorry, all. My reply above was intended for Fernando only. I'm totally new to this forum thing, and scewed up the delivery of my response. I thought we were in the private section of the site. Truth is, I'm an old man prone to brain fade around computers and a complete nimrod with them. I actually still think the best use for one is a 1,000 yard target, and most of my freinds think that that is what I should do with this one considering the amount of trouble I get into with it..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And Furtermore...

Also, the the bit about Fernando only having 3k miles under his belt only applies to this new bike, and was dig at the amount of time he's spent closeted away putting this site together. Just for the record.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Munenn, if I would have known I never would have said a word! Actually, I probably wouldn't have normally anyway. I just thought wow, brand new forum and look here, this needs to stop. hehe

Anyway, it's nice to have friends you can chew out, they are the best kind, whether you mean it or not! :D

Thanks for not jumping back. :wink:

G

·
Now, if I could just lose about 60 pounds of body fat, I might just catch that little bastard on his Ducati.....
60? Ya sure? Wouldn't a triple figure be better? :twisted:

And shouldn't Fernando contain his posts to the New Riders Section? :p :twisted:

Hey, but what do I know, I've got antiques... both my bike and carry arm are old designs... not that high-speed foreign stuff everyone bables on about now-a-days.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marshall- no problem. You can't piss me off by calling me crazy. I am, and I know- such is life. People become shrinks for a reason, and you can either accept your wackiness and use that knowledge to be a good shrink, or you can be like the majority and not have a clue as to why you're not helping people.
You know the old expression "those who can, do- those who can't, teach"?
It applies to Psychologits as well.

Hmm... sorry for the rant- sometimes I forget I'm retired

Schmidt- Good to hear from you, you skinny-assed bastard. When the heck are you going to finally put that antique bike together and come up to NC and join us for a ride? Don't worry about breaking down- BMWs have good tool kits, although I hear that all you need to fix HDs are pliers, a screwdriver, and a lotta red Locktite...

G

·
BMWs have good tool kits, although I hear that all you need to fix HDs are pliers, a screwdriver, and a lotta red Locktite
But all the tools are metric, No? And you have it all wrong... its bailling wire, duct tape and JB Weld... No HD rider leaves home without them.

Good to see ya here, Fernando said you were ragging on him and I thought I'd come over and join in.

I hooked up with the Dude in charge the local HD Dealership's Service Department, he comes in to shoot on a regular basis. Been talking to him about the rebuild. Hopefully I'll be able to start on it soon. But, I don't need to ride up there, y'all need to come down here. There is this little get together every year over in Daytona for bikers. :wink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems to me I've heard about that little yearly Daytona thing somewhere...
Isn't that the annual Motorcyclists wine and cheese tasting gathering hosted by the Daytona Council for the Arts?

Just kidding- actually, it's a thought. I'll have to see about hauling His Royal Highness away from work long enough to go. Maybe you could send some dynamite- that would do it, I think. That boy works way too hard.

Also, if we can go, please send us some "Good Guy" letters so that non-tattooed, non HD riders like us will be allowed in, okay?

"..JB Weld, baling wire, and duct tape..." You crack me up.
One of my riding neighbors told me about blowing a head gasket on his HD on the way down to Daytona years ago. He made a new one out of a stop sign that just happened to be lying around unattended.
You've got to respect his ingenuity on that repair.

Did you hear this one? I heard it at the BMW shop last time I was in..

Mechanic #1) Hey, have you heard that Harley Davidsons have gotten a lot better in their reliability over the last couple years? 98% of them are still on the road today!

Mechanic #2) Yeah, and the other 2% actually made it home.

Seriously, give us a shout when the thing is running, and good luck with getting back on 2 wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts