Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I thought this ground had already been covered with IR sensors. As a matter of fact, reading the article I initially assumed that some scientifically-challenged reporter had just confused radar with infrared.

My gut reaction: it's good tech, but get a warrant. This could be extremely useful in a hostage situation.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I can see it now: militia and antigovt. types develop butt chaff dispensers.:rolleyes:

Kevin Gibson said:
I'm not torn, they better have a warrant before they use it. That's no different than a wire tap in my opinion.

Kevin
Who is damn tired of my nation spying on ME.
Yup.
Listening to the radio this morning I heard a news report about a study the govt. instigated to find out how much "spying" had to be done to protect the people from a terrorist attack. The study (conducted by a firm whose name I've forgotten) concluded the gov. must spy all the time, on everyone.
:grumble:

1984 was 31 years ago. But we're still stuck there -- Thanks Dubya. Actually I blame Clinton as well, didn't he get us into echelon?
Both parties do it. And Obama as well....here's for hope & change.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I'm certainly not a fourth amendment scholar but since it is not invasive and can be used without entering the property I don't think a warrant would be needed. Something observed with the equipment certainly could be used as justification for a search warrant.

One thing I would wonder about is the use of remote listening devices such as parabolic mikes or vibration detection gear.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I'm certainly not a fourth amendment scholar but since it is not invasive and can be used without entering the property I don't think a warrant would be needed. Something observed with the equipment certainly could be used as justification for a search warrant.

One thing I would wonder about is the use of remote listening devices such as parabolic mikes or vibration detection gear.
Well, as Capt. Gyro pointed out, InfraRed equipment has been used to "look inside" houses, usually to spot marijuana growers as more heat is needed, and it has already been determined by the courts that a warrant is needed, so I think it would need be so here, too.
It will have to be determined by a court case, not doubt, but I have to believe the IR example will be used as precedence.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts

By that definition, Phone taps aren't invasive and don't require entering a property either and you are certainly "supposed" to get a warrant for them.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts

It's not physically invasive, but it sure the hell is virtually invasive. If someone can watch my wife and I having sex from their patrol car, I'd call that an invasion of privacy. Maybe we'll need to create new legislation, or maybe SCOTUS will agree with me. Regardless, this just can't stand.

It's great tech, and a great tool for LE to have, but there has to be controls around it.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
To All,

What I'm sitting here wondering is how dangerous to people in a home that this equipment's use is. - To a layman like me it certainly SEEMS hazardous.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I guess I have to weigh in here. Of course, the technology exists and is in use. But very limited use. It is expensive, and I can pretty much guarantee that the equipment is beyond the reach of a large majority of law enforcement agencies.

As I understand it, the device has to be placed against the outside wall of the structure in question. This would limit it's usefulness in most surreptitious surveillance operations. I mean, I have a couple of dogs that even when inside my house let me know if anyone is within a few yards of my home.

This device would be ideal in a situation in which a residence is about to be breached (high risk warrant service, barricaded suspect/hostage situation) where intel on the number and location of occupants is critical in regards to an effective entry plan. In those cases a warrant would be in hand, or exigent circumstances would certainly apply.

Yep, the courts have ruled that a drug detecting dog can't be used to gain entry to a residence ( a vehicle offers less of an expectation of privacy).

And there are restrictions now on the use of infra red technology without a warrant.

Personally, I am more concerned with the lack of privacy we face in the digital age. There are entities (both in government and the private sector) who are data mining us every minute of every day...our smart phones, computers...I find that to be much more frightening than a new law enforcement toy.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
And guys, this device doesn't display images (your sex life is till private, Kevin;)). It detects vibrations which indicate something is moving, supposedly as slight as a human breathing.

I can see where there is a possibility of a lot of "false readings". A caged bird or hamster might well be interpreted as a person.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Well during sex I'm moving and vibrating all over the place...even more so if my wife's in the bed with me;)

The only saving grace is, the mental image they all get of me having sex will make the entire force nauseous, and completely ineffective after that.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hell, Charlie, I spend a good part of my day trying to keep up with court rulings that change the way we do business. I have automatic notifications from several sources, and it's still a pain in my fat Irish...well, let's not leave anyone with that mental image to start the week with. :D

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I probably should have known this:

In 2001 in Kyllo v U.S. the Supremes (5-4) held a warrant was necessary. Justice Scalia wrote the opinion but the requirement did not have to rise to the level needed for a wiretap

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
So, for the privacy minded... Countermeasures?

Heat the whole house, upgrade the insulation and add some kind of vibration generators?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I think I have the answer.

I'm gonna buy a dozen "marital aid", wire'em up to house current, and leave'em running. I have tinnitus and hearing loss anyway, so I'll probably never hear them.

Heck, wouldn't matter. Deb would strangle me. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts