Gunhub.com banner

Would you buy a railgun?

• Yes! Bring it on, Godzilla!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! My shoulder hurts enough already!

• Doesn't matter, the feds'll ban 'em within a week.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If an affordable, rifle-sized railgun was developed, would you buy one? I, for one, would get several. With a theoretical maximum projectile velocity of the speed of light, they'd be awfully effctive. Be a little hard to construct a target range, but if that obstacle was removed, it'd be awfully fun to shoot, I wager. Probably be nigh-on useless for hunting (vaporized deer just aren't as tasty), and would be a danger to aircraft and the International Space Station if accidentally discharged. Not to mention the recoil, as recoil in ft-lb is (projectile mass) * (prejectile velocity squared), and 180 grains times the speed of light squared is the approximate amount of force gentrated by a 180-grain pellet of uranium that gets involved in a nuclear blast. :oops: :eek: :oops: :eek: :oops:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
A very good friend of mine shots ground hogs with me each season. We have fantacized about hitting one with a .50, 37mm anti tank gun, even calling in an airstrike with F4 Phantoms.

But highest on the list is attempting to get a ground hog shot with a 90mm recoilless rifle with cannister ammunition at 400 yards or a 155 howitzer with bee hive!!! :lol: We may be from the old school, but we can still dream on.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
minigun on a hog or deer would be pretty cool to see....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Best groundhog medicine I ever had was my ole dog, called him Bullit. Dont know what kind of critter he was but he looked like an arctic wolf only a bit shorter nose and stunk worse than me. That ole fella hated groundhogs and would make short work of em. He would play with an armadillo or black snake for hours, get bored and just walk off, but a groundhog was serious work. Sure do miss him..... :(

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
My old German Sheppard mixed was one of my biggest competitors. One day I found two dead hogs at a couple of holes I had been stalking but saw nothing. I had let "Blue" out the next morning to run on our property, that afternoon I found the two hogs. They were just a few feet from their holes, but very dead.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
gimme all the guns i can get before the liberals try to ban them

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Nope ! Rather have a 50 BMG Rifle , so I could hear the bang, and smell the powder ! :D

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I want one now. I want to be able to deal with all the crappy drivers that are on my roads. Starting with anyone I see yapping on the phone while driving.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Man, that would be costly! You would have to have the local rail operrator position it for you when you went shooting, then rent a flat car to haul a few of those 2000lb. rounds and the powder bags,you would have to pay someone to radio you the coordinates of the back stop, and i'll tell you right now after a couple of rounds my range would kick me out for life! :lol:

·
Registered
215 Posts
What's a rail gun? I think of the old WW1 "Paris Gun" that moved on rails and needed a crew of hundreds to load/fire/clean/aim.

For traffic issues, I'd recommend a nice fender-mounted EMP device. I expect to see one in the next issue of Car and Driver.

Regards

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A railgun is a device which uses a high voltage of electricity between two parallel non-magnetic electrically conductive rails to propell a non-magnetic electrically conductive 'bolt' at a high velocity. Theoretical maximum projectile velocity is the speed of light.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Couple o' quick corrections;

1) railguns would not have recoil;

2) projetile speed could not come anywhere near the speed of light ,because we dont have a powerplant that can supply enough energy to move an infinitely massive object, which is what happens to any particle when at the s.o.l.

I'd probably want one, although I'm not sure it would be nearly as enjouable, absent the "BOOM-n-THUD".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couple o' quick corrections;

1) railguns would not have recoil;

2) projetile speed could not come anywhere near the speed of light ,because we dont have a powerplant that can supply enough energy to move an infinitely massive object, which is what happens to any particle when at the s.o.l.

I'd probably want one, although I'm not sure it would be nearly as enjouable, absent the "BOOM-n-THUD".
1) Railguns will and do have recoil, which is why current models have to be bolted down. Recoil is because, by Newton's laws, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A Railgun bolt weighing 180 grains traveling at ~2800 fps would have about the recoil of a bolt action .30-06, if possibly a bit less due to the lack of powder weight.

2) SOL is the theoretical max muzzle velocity. Note that any effects of acceleration to SOL on particles is also theory, as we have yet to observe this in a controlled setting.

As for the 'Boom-n-THUD' - divert some capacitor power to an electric ignition to a pile of short-fuse firecrackers. That'll give a nice, resounding CRACK!

·
Registered
56 Posts
'Buster, thanks for the wake up on recoil. DOH! Of course you are correct, the recoil would be like the torque generated on the housing of an electric motor. Double DOH!

As for infinite mass @ SOL, it can be extrapolated from measurements conducted @ lower acceleration levels.

I.R. standing corrected...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
can i get that in a concealed carry version? :D
I can see the VPC headlines now...

New Pocket Rocket Poses Threat to Human Race
Blacks, Gays in Special Danger

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Rail guns will have a great potential as satellite killers. In the vacuum of space a projectile the size of a rifle bullet could be accelerated to a leisurely ten to fifteen thousand miles per second. This would be devastating against any space hardware it encountered. It'd be real tough to target something that small and fast.

In earth atmosphere, anything--with the possible exception of ceramic dart--approaching 25,000 ft per sec. would become a ball of hot plasma. Accuracy would suffer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Instead of accellerating a 180-grain bullet to 25,000 fps, you could instead accellerate a 600-grain bullet to a lower (but still much higher than currently attainable) speed that would not induce physical phase change. This would allow you to maintain very high levels of retained energy (especially if the bullet is made of some material denser than lead, allowing for less drag) Besides, heavy bullets are better with wind drift :p

1 - 20 of 171 Posts