Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK

So I bought a SA 1911A1 GI model because I wanted the old, WWII, authentic look. At 15yds I have to aim about 6" right of center. The fixed rear sight is set in the dovetail. There are alignment marks on the rear sight and slide. My question is ....what is the best way to adjust the rear sight? OR leave it alone so not to damage anything?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
These pressed-in rear sights are designed to be adjusted using a nylon or brass drift and a small hammer.
A section of brass bar stock works very well.

Get a good stout drift and remove the slide.
I tape the slide sides and top to eliminate any chance of a scratch and lay the slide on a FIRM bench or even a concrete floor. You want a surface that won't bounce.
Put a cloth or a few sheets of paper under the slide, again to eliminate any chance of scratches.

Have a buddy hold the slide firmly so it won't bounce or move, and put the drift on the side of the rear sight.
Tap gently with the hammer and check the progress by the two index marks.
If it doesn't seem to have moved, strike just a little harder until it does.
It takes very little movement to move the bullet strike so don't over do it.

If your gun is shooting to the left, you want to move the rear sight to the RIGHT.
For rear sights, you move the sight in the direction you want the bullets to go.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Good answer...

I like to do this sort of thing at the range so I can shoot and check progress.

But some of the sights are in there so tight you have to put the slide in a vise to hold it firmly enough.

You want to put something on the sight so the brass punch doesn't leave a mark that is very hard to remove. Something like a business card is good

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Appreciate your help and will follow your instructions.

Also good to know a business card is good for something besides making a grocery list from the wife!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You can also use bore solvent to remove any brass marks left on the sight.

I made my own "universal" sight pusher years ago.
For a short time, someone sold a version of it.

Get a cheap automatic center punch.

Grind the tip flat, then braze a glob of brass braze on the tip, covering the steel punch.
File the glob of brass to a flat face and pretty it up a little.

To move a sight, just press the automatic punch against the sight until the punch "fires". The impact will move the sight.
Since the punch is adjustable, you can start of easy and move up until the sight moves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts