Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "big" September gun show came to town this weekend. Usually on Saturday morning you can hardly move in the place. This year, you could have almost roller skated in there.

Couple of my favorite vendors weren't there.

There seemed to be plenty of ammo, and in all calibers. Reloading powders and primers, too. Prices still pretty high but not as high as last year. Saw more .380 ammo in one place than I've seen AT ALL in the last two, maybe three years. I bought some Wolf steel case noncorrosive 7.62x39 for $27/100--not a super price but about as good as I've seen in a while. (I have a Russian SKS I've never shot--hope to remedy that soon.)

Saw not one but TWO very nicely sporterized .30-40 Krags. Don't think I've ever even seen ONE before. Both were very handsome and handy-looking guns. I don't need one of those but I sure did admire them.

Picked up a nice set of "gently used" Herrett's stocks for Colt Diamondback for--get this--five bucks ($5). The vendor obviously didn't know what they were. He had a bucket full of wooden revolver grips priced at $15 to $25 but these were only $5 for some reason. They look great on my Diamondback and feel even better. Looking forward to shooting them.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Wow... shows around here are pretty jammed. We are cursed with two promoters who are trying to drive each other out of business and the result is we have too many shows and little quality. If you want anything black it's there by the ton but collectible stuff is virtually non-existent.

I agree that components and ammo are improving but still have a way to go. Just today I checked Midway for some .32 H&R and then had exactly none.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Here in the Austin, TX area, the monthly SAXET show shut down due to some sort of dispute with the building owner, so there's only one show in town now . . . and it's pathetic. Small, and even most of the vendors at this so-called "gun show" are selling stuff like candy, jerky, ShamWow, miracle dusters, and other [email protected] The few with guns and ammo are just local dealers trying to unload their overpriced (and hence, slow-moving) inventory that they bought at inflated prices when Obama was elected. or guys who've ordered stuff from Midway and marked it up - sharply. :(

Understand the SAXET show in San Antonio is decent . . . might have to think up an excuse to drive down there some time.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Our gun shows have either the old junk dealer selling the same 1962 stevens pumps along side the ted williams 22's and asking prices that make your head spin. ("Its a Ted Williams, Best shot ever, its better than any new gun you can find, thats why I price it 50% higher than a new gun"} or the junk knife seller, who buys his stuff at garage sales and on late night TV adn then wonders why you say its not what I am looking for as well as the guy wearing the size 8XL camo's who is selling the same 9 nazi books, the imitation flag and the thirty three AR's made by Hesse or Vulcan, and when people won't look any more after seeing the name on the receiver he calls them "commies"

We have two or three legit and decent vendors, but the older guys who had cool stuff, priced decently and knew their models are all gone. The people who want that stuff are going to be gone soon too I am afraid.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
but the older guys who had cool stuff, priced decently and knew their models are all gone.
No we're not but the clientele that goes to the shows you describe neither know nor care about the stuff I do.

There are many state gun collector associations that have good shows, but the commercial sponsors are not their friends. Many associations limit the number of knife/cooking gadget/camo/ammo vendors and those guys rent lots of tables and draw a crowd so the commercial sponsors cater to them. One situation I know about saw a commercial operation rent the hall right out from under a collector show by paying significantly more rent.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
To me gun shows are all the same for the most part, most everything is vastly over-priced. If you are willing to search high and low, you can find some really great deals, but they are very few and increasingly far between. If you’re looking for gadgets, you can find some bargains. Here’s the only time it makes sense to go to a gun show: You’re just a “gun guy” and you have some dollars burning a hole in your pocket. If you go there looking for whatever happens to be THE deal of the show, then you’ll come out well.

I have a good friend who does that twice a year at Tulsa. He goes there with absolutely no intent, but a wad of cash and always comes home with the best bargains of the show. Whether it’s a lot of .450 No 2 cases for less than a buck a case, or an exquisite German Guild single shot for around $400, because no one knows what cartridge it fires (turned out to be .25-35 Winchester), this guy always does well because he has no pre-conceptions when he goes.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just got a phone report from this past weekend's large Crossroads of the West show in Phoenix. My friend was not shopping for guns but he noted an unusually large number of walk-ins, seeking to sell a variety of personally owned firearms but expecting full book value for them. He did not pay much attention to whether there was any significant number of classic S&W or Colt DA revolvers in this category. His primary impression is that people are hard up for money and are trying to get some back out of their guns.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I noticed a goodly number of walk ins at the last show I went to. I ended up buying a couple of old S&Ws at what I thought were fair prices. I think the observation that everyone expects full retail is accurate, but my table was way in the back and maybe they had been laughed at enough to be reasonable by the time they got to me.

Kevin I have a similar philosophy about buying at shows and while I sometimes do have a specific gun on my list most of the time I just bargain hunt within my fairly broad interest base. Of course sometimes something just "speaks" to me and I start a new collection... :)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guntotin_fool said:
Charlie and snake. I have never asked but what general areas of the nation do you live?
We're both in the East.

And to think, I started this thread just to brag about scoring a set of cool Herritt's stocks for my Diamonback for $5. :lol: Had them on the gun several days now and I think they've found a permanent home--they are more comfortable than anything else I've ever had on that gun. They're not like any other Herritt's I've ever seen--there are no sharp lines or angles on them, they're nicely rounded and feel great in the hand. And completely checkered around the frontstrap, too, which is unusual in any revolver grips.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
My wife's from Lake Tahoe and keeps trying to talk me into moving the family there; two problems:

1- California; I'M NOT GOING BACK TO CA!
2- My snow policy; I love the snow, but I will not move where a snow blower is needed.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Only shows I bother going to anymore here in Ohio are the OGCA shows, everything else is like you all describe. You got a bunch of dealers selling guns that are either off-brands and old or good ones that are old and worn wanting list prices for them or joe Blough trying to sell his 3 year old Glock 19 with five hundred rounds through it for $600.00.
Went to the OGCA show Saturday. Came within a hair of buying a really nice Series 70 Gold-Cup, no box,no papers, a little worn but not abused for $885.00. Kept bouncing back and forth between it and a USAF-Marked M15 snubbie the guy wanted $600.00 for. Sitting in the lounge eating a Brat I decided to get the snubbie, went back and it was gone. so was the Colt. That's life. Ended up buying some nice Rosewood checkered grips for the RIA 1911 and some parts.

Oh, saw a really nice Gastrap Garand. Only $34,500.00.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Can't speak about the gunshows here as I rarely go. On the other hand, we have a great local paper that only carries for sale ads. The number of guns for sale is ten times what it was last year. There are some real bargains out there.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
My wife's from Lake Tahoe and keeps trying to talk me into moving the family there; two problems:

1- California; I'M NOT GOING BACK TO CA!
2- My snow policy; I love the snow, but I will not move where a snow blower is needed.
May I suggest a few miles east, in Nevada, but not so far that you're in Fallon?

A LOT less snow (yes, has some), and you can just drive over the hill whenever the snow plows get done.

Just drove through there the end of August and was intrigued a bit, but no prospects for me there right now. I prefer the Carson valley anyway, but that's up in elevation a bit, more snow, and off the freeway...more important for your family visits than for my purposes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts