marking on my C96 no. 53240
No imperial - just "SU4" under eagle...
What kind of marking is this?

thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
From what I'm seeing -- online sources, not from a book-- the SU means the gun was "reworked" at the Spandau Armory.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Charlies' right. it looks like one of the numbers has been worn off or not stamped properly.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Gebirg,

I've wondered since you posted those photos if you might have an Asian "clone" of a Red-9.
(No "truth in labeling law" there. - For example,I have a "nearly perfect clone" of a Colt's 1951 Navy that was made to FOOL the experts. = I cannot tell you how many times, at a WBTS re-enactment, that someone who was "extremely knowledgeable", asked me if I knew that I was carrying a REAL 1851 revolver. When stationed abroad about 15 years ago, I saw "offered for sale", two "Swiss Artillery Lugars", with cases for less than 500.ooUSD each.)

note: I paid 150.oo for my "museum piece". - In point of fact, when I'm dead & gone, I wouldn't be surprized if it was sold as a "super valuable antique". - I'm considering having my name, SSN & "assumed rank" engraved on the pistol under the grip panels, to forestall such a FRAUD.
(btw, I portray an "overage in grade" & "all crippled-up" 1LT & Provost Marshal of The Texas Light Artillery, PACSA. The PACSA, rather than retiring infirm officers, reassigned them to "appropriate light duties" as long as they could "sit a horse" OR "are [able] to accomplish any needful thing of military necessity".)

yours, sw

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
An Asian clone - interesting, it is a wery good one if it is...

As many other German military guns, this one came also to Norway with wwII.
Became privat property in 1957 after some years in Norwegian department of justice...

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Gbirg,

Prior to WWII, many warlords wanted Mauser/Lugar pistols, so they simply had them made. Thus the "Swiss Lugers", "Asian Mausers" and other "clones".

In a country with VERY low daily (to NON-local nationals) wages and good machinists/gunsmiths, anything can be "cloned" at a good price.

I personally know a WBTS re-enactor, who asked in Pakistan if KELLY PLOW WORKS officer's sabers could be made & which would be suitable for a PACSA cavalry officer to carry. - The machinist said, "Of course, Sir" & quoted a VERY LOW (to an American) price for the sabers. - Interestingly enough, the craftsman in Pakistan did NOT want to make sabers that LOOKED as crude as a REAL Kelly Plow Works saber really was.
(When you are trying to put together an army, navy & marine corps,not to speak of a new GOVERNMENT, from NOTHING more than a few local militias, rank amatuers & a few former "enemy officers", "PRETTY" doesn't count for much but "FUNCTION" does count.)

FYI, I've toyed with the idea of having P-35 & Makerov "clones" made in VietNam, as quality parts WERE made for both pistols during the RVN War.
(I'd bet that I can get NICE quality P-35 pistols made to retail for less than 300.ooUSD each & Makarovs for less than 150.ooUSD.)

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The mark on the right side is the definitive proof used before 1939

Production of Broomhandle pistols ended in the early 1930s before the Nazis came in so the presence of the Waffenampt supports the idea of a rework.

"The "SU"followed by one or two numbers indicates Simson/Ubricht, Suhl and is usually found on Luger reworks". Source: "Official Guide to Gunmarks" by David Byron

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Interesting Charlie. That is why I prefaced my info as "from online sources and not a book." I understand many civilian guns were turned over and reworked for military use in the WWII years.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Norwegian Luger

We deployed to southern Norway to one of their military airfields for NATO war games in the fall of '78. I can speak a little Norwegian, so they sorta liked me. One night in the club I was BSing with some of them and drinking some beer and akkavit, and a Norsk air policeman strolled in, under arms. I noticed right away that he was packing a Luger. I asked him if I could please look at it. Asked him, begged him, (didn't quite get to pleading, though,) and he politely refused. Said he just couldn't unlimber it unless he was about to shoot someone. He did tell me that it was in very good condition, however. So that's my tale of Norwegians utilizing old German goods.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This i believe in!
I think that my C96 is a comercial prewar WWI gun (some 9mm. were made back then)
Somebody with gunskills has done something about it, and i believe that must be as Charlie says - Simson/Ubricht.

Thank you wery much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We deployed to southern Norway to one of their military airfields for NATO war games in the fall of '78. I can speak a little Norwegian, so they sorta liked me. One night in the club I was BSing with some of them and drinking some beer and akkavit, and a Norsk air policeman strolled in, under arms. I noticed right away that he was packing a Luger. I asked him if I could please look at it. Asked him, begged him, (didn't quite get to pleading, though,) and he politely refused. Said he just couldn't unlimber it unless he was about to shoot someone. He did tell me that it was in very good condition, however. So that's my tale of Norwegians utilizing old German goods.
Great story;) i have a 95% Luger from 1940 made by Mauser, next time you are in Norway you can try it - that would be fun - its a great shooter...:p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My P.08

My luger from 1940 with original holster with the germans officers name inside... (NO rework on this one;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Would you please post a nice tight picture of the whole gun... both sides.

I'd just like to look at the finish on the whole gun

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New pictures C96

Would you please post a nice tight picture of the whole gun... both sides.

I'd just like to look at the finish on the whole gun
Here is the whole gun, thank you again!

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thank you bearcat6 and Javlin - yes i got some nice German guns from WWII.
Got this SS contract (RSHA) Walther PPK with original holster - wery nice gun made late 1940...
We can try this one too felix...

Please, make no mistake - it is not my intension to brag about my guns - its just that i dont show them to many people here in my town. They dont share the same interest that i do.
I am a amateur collector, and German guns used in WWII is my goal of collection.

All the best...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts