Gunhub.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the archives for any discussion on `em, and couldn`t find anything. Anybody had any experience with `em? I just bought an AR10A2C and thought it would be a good candidate for one, `cause these old eyes aren`t getting any younger! I have noticed that the regular dot types go pretty cheap/ the holographic ones cost an arm and a couple of good teeth. Pros and cons on either? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
It depends on what you want to do.

Red dots are relatively close range propositions but can be great for fast shooting at big targets. If you are thinking about precision with the .308 at much more than 100 yds. a scope might be a better idea.

I use them on a couple of AR15s and some handguns so if you have specific questions someone here can probably answer

·
Super Moderator
13,161 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Red dots are relatively close range propositions but can be great for fast shooting at big targets. If you are thinking about precision with the .308 at much more than 100 yds. a scope might be a better idea.
I agree completely.

One minor advantage to a red dot is that if you wear "distance glasses" to compensate for nearsightedness, you can use them with the red dot and see your target. If you wear such glasses you know that they're useless for shooting iron sights or conventional scopes.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thank you both for your comments. The link was very informative. I have a Springfield M1A with an ART scope on it for distance work, but I bought the Armalite for close in shooting, mostly bunnies and coyotes, so I guess I`ll pony up some change to try a red dot. Around my place, coyotes aren`t a long distance target. I`ve jumped `em at as close as ten yards (handgun range). They move pretty fast to put range and trees between them and me, so I figured that a quick acquisition dot would be an advantage.

When I can figure out which one I want, I`ll post the results.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
We just got the new Nikon VSD (variable sized dot) at work. Five different sized, very clear, very bright (even at low settings) dots.

The dots are 1, 4, 6, 8, and 10 MOA.

Should be plenty accurate for steel targets.

Jon

·
Registered
42 Posts
red dot sights

I have been sort of looking at these for a few years. So far I have only gotten cheap ones, new or used, for about $50. I like them mounted as a recon sight. Long eye relief, mounted well forward on a rifle. Quick target acquisition, great below 100 yds. But.....with the cheap ones you can't change the size of the dot so you just can't aim at small targets. Also, after awhile, some of the dots go out of round or look like a sideways keyhole. With the good ones the dot size is variable and there is a choice of reticles like. circles, duplex cross hair, concentric circles. None that I know about have battery saver features or even warning indicators. Learning the hard way, now I always mount one so I can quickly re-aim through the iron sights. The gun store clerks around Lewiston say you have to get above the $200 range to get a good one. But that's all I know. I am still trying to ID a good one, for the money, myself.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts