Gunhub.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
They are priced up with the high-end American scopes. Redfield is also owned by Meade Optics, the owner of Weaver and Simmons. They were slow getting products into the market. These are 5x magnification, though. Once the bugs are worked out, they should be premium scopes. :D

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
for value, I have not seen better than the bushnell 3200.

for an older rifle, get an older scope. there can be some good deals on eBay.

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
Other than nostalgia, I would rather get a new design scope that approaches the lines of the older scopes than rely on a 40 year-old scopes optics. While they may be in great condition, the optics themselves aren't as clear and bright as those of today's. :D

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
delloro said:
Bushnell 3200
So I've heard. Any particular attributes ? Thanks

JR said:
I would rather get a new design scope that approaches the lines of the older scopes.
Any suggestions ?

Applications - An 'ol Winny .243 and an 'ol Rem. in .257 Rob. Hunting rifles.

Thanks ! :!:

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
Year of manufacture? Or the era that you're trying to achive "the look" for? :?

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
blusteel said:
Applications - An 'ol Winny .243 and an 'ol Rem. in .257 Rob. Hunting rifles.
My preference, regardless of age of the rifle would be a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9, with Leupold mounts and 2-piece bases. Most of the low dollar scopes made today have better glass and coatings than scopes of old.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JR said:
Year of manufacture? Or the era that you're trying to achive "the look" for? :?
Circa - approx. 1975 (both) Thanks !

Sam - I was thinking Leup. too . If I can keep things under $550- ea., rings and tube, I'll be content :wink:

Gloss black, of course, right ? :dunno: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If they are hunting rifles put a leupold on them and you will not be sorry. Ebay has some good deals if you are careful not to overbid. I have recently purchased a Varri-X II 3X9 for $180 for a friend. The 3X7 have been cheaper.

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
The 3x9x32 would be more "period correct" for 1975, although there were some 40mm scopes in use then. Yes, Gloss Black, with Redfield jr rings and mounts.

The .243 could use a Weaver K series scope with more magnification if you're "varminting". Again, gloss finish, with the Redfield rings and bases.

Any one of these in a modern configuration will be brighter, with better definition and repeatability, than what was used on the average rifle in 1975. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts