Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I read this last weekend.
Bayou Renaissance Man: What handgun to buy for self-defense?

After that I followed one of the links:
pdb : Your Gun Works Fine And I Don't Care

I really cannot argue with Peter's breakdown, based on acceptance by the Police, other Public Safety and military.

Top Tier
Beretta
Browning
Colt
FN
Glock
Heckler & Koch
Kahr
Sig Sauer
Smith & Wesson

Second Tier

CZ-USA Dan Wesson
Kel-Tec
Rossi
Springfield Armory
Sturm, Ruger & Col.
Taurus
Walther

Now there have been times...but other than some of the youth movement on the channel, most of us remember bad times at various first tier sources.

When I take up a handgun for serious social intercourse, or competition back in the day, it was a Colt, a S&W or a Kahr. There are others in the battery but my Kahr 9094N, SWaMPy 9c or Colt Mk IV are the most trustworthy.

When it comes down to carry and castle defense what do you have at hand?

Geoff
Who is a curious fellow from any point of view.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Skeptic49

I agree mostly with your assesment, but, you left out Kimber.

Back in the day I would wear a Colt. I trusted it. Now, it is my Kimber.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Still carrying my hand-built homebrew Essex mixmaster 1911... :)

Of course, that is the difference between a hand-built, hand-fitted iron that was fine-tuned by its previous owner (who was the original builder) versus an assembly-line model.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Like I have said before, I am something of a gun slut. I have several S&W revolvers that I carry, the most used is a 442 that is a constant pocket companion. A Kimber Super Carry Pro was my usual daily holster gun, I have to admit that that my new Colt LW Commander has taken it's place.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
LOL, IC, that must make me and that 1911 the "old married couple"--unless some kind of minor miracle happens to let my gal take it home to Canada with her after I'm gone it's going to be buried with me. (They wouldn't let me have a case of ammo in the coffin too, though... :( )

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Police Forces often choose a firearm because the Manufacturer makes them an offer they can't refuse and bean counters are making the decisions. That is why GLOCK is so prevalent and I'm sure why the Delaware State Police were the first to go with the 357SIG so many years ago.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Ed has a very valid comment. A lot of police chiefs got "special" guns. There was also an aggressive campaign to get trade-in guns toward a very good price on the Glocks. Actually the sale of the old guns probably was more profitable since the bottom line cost of the gun leaves a big margin.

There was also a well documented book "Americas Gun" that told about Glock's private table at an Atlanta topless bar and rather lavish entertainment of prospective LE buyers.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting article, but it's thick on opinion and absolutely no science from which to base the conclusions.
True but the science is hard to define. On the other tentacle LEOrgs that are displeased get a lot of bandwidth. The various Glock problems in NYC led to swift action. Fifty year old Sig P6s from the German Police are still viable and high priced. The M9 affair the most documented pistol acquisition ever.

How many Model 10 antique SWaMPies are still being carried?

Geoff
Who is curious about what's riding in your holster..;)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Police Forces often choose a firearm because the Manufacturer makes them an offer they can't refuse and bean counters are making the decisions. That is why GLOCK is so prevalent and I'm sure why the Delaware State Police were the first to go with the 357SIG so many years ago.
I second (or third?) yours and Charlies comments, from experience. About 12 years ago my Sheriff's Office traded in SIG P226's (228's for plainclothes) for Glock 31's. The deal included night nights, holsters, mag pouches and three mags per gun (the SIG's came with 2). The price was very attractive from what I remember, much cheaper and with more "goodies" than any other manufacturer could or would offer.

Right after I my accident (Sep 2010), the Sheriff's Office traded for Glock 22's. The .357 SIG ammo was getting very expensive, even then. .40 S&W was at the time more plentiful and cheaper. Wasn't anything wrong with the guns, you see. Strictly a caliber change.

My partner brought mine to me (I was still bed bound sorta - no weight bearing on my legs and a wound pump attached to one ankle and an IV in one arm). It's in my gun safe unfired, because our present Sheriff let's us carry what we can qualify with as long as we stay within some reasonable guidelines.

Sorry for the ramble. My original point is that Glock did a remarkable job in setting out to win over the police market in this country, and doing it.

Deserved or not.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Yes they did... even if it wasn't always exactly kosher.

But the real accomplishment was to start the move toward polymer pistols and prove that they would be both reliable and durable.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Glock hasn't always been respectable, but they did get it done. Their presence in LE circles meant they had to fix their guns when they had a problem, or lose it all. So the entire Glock line has benefitted greatly from having all those LE agencies de-bug their pistols, and while Glock wasn't always quick to do it, they did eventually get the changes made. Today Glock is one of the more proven pistols out there.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I'm sure you remember Dean's "upgrade" that looked like a recall.

I'm pretty sure I will never get on their Christmas card list eiter,:grumble:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked around; contract specs are a little "esoteric" to an innocent young boy like me who passed DoD basic and computer contracting back in the 1980s.
Down here in FL Glocks ride most holsters, with .40 and .45 versions common. The state highway patrol issue .45 GAP, but rumors say 9mm is about to make a come back.
Local private security companies are limited by law to .38 Special and 9mm .380. The officers need to pay for a "G" License from the state and usually buy their own pistols. Glock police recycles are popular. At least one private outfit issued Ruger P95s supposedly for insurance purposes.
Geoff
Who notes some departments make their policies available on the web, some don't.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'm sure you remember Dean's "upgrade" that looked like a recall.

I'm pretty sure I will never get on their Christmas card list eiter,:grumble:
Don't fret, Charlie. Me and Deb will send you two this year to make up the slack. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
AWWW>>> that's so nice...

Actually if I did get a card from them I would be on the lookout for guys in black trench coats driving Mercedes with blacked out windows...

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
No trench coats, black leather jackets and black jeans. "Get in ze auto Herr Petty." :cool:

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
SpecialEd; Charlie Petty,

IF there were teams in black coming out of black M-B autos, I'd have been "toast" long ago as I've said on many forums how I feel about "plastic g*#%ks", so Charlie's probably safe.
(Of course, our Ranger Service nearly sank the company's products here, when EVERY Ranger returned the 2 handguns that each had been given free, as "unfit for Ranger service". - You'll not be surprised that the company hasn't advertised that particular debacle.)

just my OPINION, sw

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
While I'm not a Glock defender, they're not alone in the fringe benefit/heavy discount department. When the local Sheriffs Office went to semi-autos, the winning vendor threw in 3 mags and complete new duty gear sets. IIRC, that setup cost the taxpays $125/deputy. Ruger was desparate to get their revamped pistols back into the LE market.

I'm not real sure who owned the revolvers, so I don't know if there was catchup on trade ins. I do know that someone made a killing when they allegedly convinced a nearby Sheriff to trade MP5s for Uzis. Maybe they were early models where the fire selector needed ETs thumb to operate, but still???????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts