Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a few questions about this Remington 511 that was given to me by my great grandmother. I have had it for about 16 years now and it's accuracy is about non existent. There is just a trace of rifling, but not enough left for it to even group. Has anybody had one of these re-barreled? I know nothing about the process and don't even know if it would be possible, but If it is, I'd really like to have a heavy barrel installed with iron sights. Green Mountain has .22 barrel blanks, would this be the right approach for that? The other option I have been considering is having a liner put in, but once again I am not sure how the accuracy would be after. I'm not concerned about keeping it all original, but i'd really like to bring it back to life and take a few more squirrels.

The other rifle in question would be a Winchester model 90 that my great grandmother also gave me. It's the takedown version with full octagonal barrel that was threaded and had a Maxim suppressor. 98% of the finish is gone and the rifling is in the same condition. Has anybody had one of these relined? understand the process of relining but never heard of any range reports post operation. Sorry for the long drawn out post but I'd like to really like to find the best option. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
743 Posts
Are you sure the barrels are gone and not just crudded up? I've never seen a worn out .22 barrel, never mind 2 from the same place.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Most really old .22 barrels that were not properly cleaned are badly corroded from both primers and Lesmok powder that was used until the early 20s. The Winchester is probably in that shape but I think the Remington is new enough to have avoided the old ammo unless someone shot it with the stuff.

The first suggestion is a good cleaning before you do anything else.

I have had a couple of barrels relined with good results and that is the only way to really preserve the authenticity of the gun. Buying a .22 barrel liner is cheap it's putting it in that is tough. Definitely not do-it-youself unless you're a gifted machinist

1 - 3 of 3 Posts